I want an Elgin, but which colour?

klp0213

Sep 2, 2008
The titel says it all. Girls, I need your advice!

I know I'm on the sofa but am still planning on getting an Elgin at some point. This will act as a laptop bag for me most of the time, but may double as a baby bag. I'm just not sure which colour to go for. My original desire was for one in chocolate but now I'm not so sure.

I know quite a few of you have the Elgin in chocolate. Do you wear this in summer? What about black?

I don't want oak Roxy tote to be made redundant by the arrival of Elgin so I wouldn't get one in oak.

All opinions appreciated! TIA!

Hi KLP

If it were me I'd choose chocolate, it looks so rich in this colour. Black might work but not sure it would give the style of bag enough zing as it is quite plain in its design but a lovely classic design all the same :smile:

Think it might look a bit bland in oak initially but since oak is not on the list that solves it.

How about Olive? I'm totally biased as that's the colour of my Elgin but I love it. It's so versatile but a bit different.

And I might have imagined it, but weren't there some Vanilla Elgins at the outlets last year?

I :heart: my Elgin in black! But I am sure that choco and oak are equally lovely.

I don't think you can go wrong, no matter which colour you choose :tup:! The design is gorgeous, plain and classy. Timeless.

How about Olive? I'm totally biased as that's the colour of my Elgin but I love it. It's so versatile but a bit different.

And I might have imagined it, but weren't there some Vanilla Elgins at the outlets last year?

Yep, it looked gorgeous in vanilla as well! I seem to remember the hardware was a soft muted tone - looked really good :tup: It's also been made in lavender - I've seen one or two pop on on le bay from time to time.

I have to confess that my all time fav is the choc, but the original one with the dull bronze hardware (as opposed to the brighter brass) I'm pretty sure this is the one that Dita has, as we both bought them at the same time from NAP.

Just to add that I no longer have mine as the shape/size just didn't work for me :crybaby:Stunning to look at though. I used to love it with the straps slightly tightened at the top to give a bit more shape :girlsigh:

It was also made in lavendar, there is a lovely one on ebay at the moment that I am tempted by as I love the colour, but the bag is too heavy for me.

I think the outlets may still have a few, because occasionally you see elgins in soft grain leather on ebay, which may have been made as a special by the outlets? But they are no a regular style as such.

Chocolate definitely!!! Elgin was the first Mulberry I ever saw IRL. Saks had one in oak and it was gorgoeus and haunted me for a long time, but it seemed like so much to spend on a bag!! Oh, how quickly we change and learn!!!

It's a slippery slope. And scary actually how much one's boundaries can change. I remember my first 'expensive' bag was just uner £200 and I was NEVER going to spend that much EVER EVER again :lol: Whoops.

Thanks for the input girls. It's always good for me to have a second opinion on bag, in case I haven't thought of something.

I think I'm going to go for a chocolate Elgin, as was my original intention. Now I just need to find one!!!!!

As Elgin is a big rectangular bag IMO it's quite heavy in choc & black. Oak is out because of Roxy tote.
I really like this bag in vanilla, I almost bought it (yeah, I know, another one!) last year.