I tried to make it better, but it looks worse!!! <HELP!

mandarpandar

Feb 25, 2009
okay, I searched the forum on how to remove ink on a bag, and I decided to go with rubbing alcohol. I don't know if I messed it up because I used an alcohol wipe or if I rubbed to hard. I know it is just a tiny spot, but I feel like I have ruined my bag because the COLOR CAME OFF BUT THE INK IS STILL THERE! Someone tell me this can be fixed. :cry:

3798261942_8994e57370.jpg

3798248920_af02db4c9e.jpg

This is what the alcohol wipe looked like after....

I HATE to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't THINK there is anything to be done...

You may want to try some Apple conditioner, and maybe that'll bring the color of the dye out more to blend the washed out spots in with the rest of the bag.

I know hindsight is 20/20 but whenever I'm going to try something on a bag, I give it a little go in a spot that is not that visible when they bag is being carried.

I hope you get better info from others, but I don't think it's likely.

I'm SOOOOO sorry for you and your lovely bag!!!

I am sorry but that does not look good. The color has rubbed off.. I use the appl conditioner but it will not take the Ink off. It might help make the area look better. Sorry.

Maybe using a touchup of a leather dye-ish product like Leather CPR in a color similar to that would help blend better, that would be my best honest suggestion for you. I'd leave it alone, less you aggravate the leather area to where it won't absorb color at all.

thanks guys, I think I am going to order some apple today...can you get it at any stores or does it have to be ordered online? I won't touch it anymore and after I condition it, if it still looks bad I'll try dye touch up....this sucks, I only did one "swipe" I wasn't rubbing it back and forth over and over or anything. Oh well, all I can do is not let it happen again! Thanks again everyone

I purchased my Apple stuff at Burlington Coat Factory for like $6.00. So if you have one near by I would try there first.
Good luck!

(But If you have order it go to the steals & deals & look for a coupon code)

Last edited:
I was at the grocery store this evening and writing out a check, they didn't have a good spot on the counter for me to lay my Coach ergo rose checkbook flat so I had to balance it up in the air laying it across my left palm as I wrote out the check. This was awkward and caused me to accidentally touch my pen to the leather, darrnnit! I immediately thought about this thread wondering how I was going to remove the ink from the leather. When I got home I took a pure white pencil eraser and erased the ink line and it came right off!! Just thought I'd post my solution here. It did not lift the leather dye. Just the ink mark! :nuts:

edit: p.s. I do keep all my Coach leathers appled up so quite possibly the layer of apple on my wallet facilitated the ink mark removal!

Hey Oops, that was SOOO nice of you to run right back and post this. Maybe she could get the ink off this way, and then condition with Apple to draw the color of the dye back up. It'll be sad if us gal's with our great minds couldn't help her get this issue SOMEWHAT resolved!! KWIM?!

Hey Oops, that was SOOO nice of you to run right back and post this. Maybe she could get the ink off this way, and then condition with Apple to draw the color of the dye back up. It'll be sad if us gal's with our great minds couldn't help her get this issue SOMEWHAT resolved!! KWIM?!
Thanks , I feel bad about her dye getting lifted and I do hope she tries blending it with a soft white cotton cloth with Apple. Not sure if that will work but it may. I hope my white eraser tip helps with any future ink marks. Even if a person is really careful those ink marks find their way to the bag! grrr.

blue ink got front and center on the white part of my spectator leather sabrina, I tried the apple, the alcohol etc. nothing worked and it looked like I damaged my leather too just like you. I took it to my leather shoe repair guy and they mix their own color dye's and they fixed it. the ink is gone and the damage too. If the Apple don't work find a good leather repair place and they can save it!

blue ink got front and center on the white part of my spectator leather sabrina, I tried the apple, the alcohol etc. nothing worked and it looked like I damaged my leather too just like you. I took it to my leather shoe repair guy and they mix their own color dye's and they fixed it. the ink is gone and the damage too. If the Apple don't work find a good leather repair place and they can save it!
Great advice!! Take it to a professional leather repair shop.
I guess the moral of this story is no alcohol on leather. I have personally recommended rubbing alcohol on the fabric lining of the bag to remove lipstick stains.
When I get ink on clothing I use hairspray to remove it but I've never used alcohol on leather before.

My mom has a white (Coach) bag and also got ink on it...she was told that spraying hair spray to the area, letting it dry, and then gently wiping it off should remove the ink...I hope her friend is right. Love the pencil eraser idea too!!! GL!

^^Tell your mom to first try the hairspray on an inconspicuous spot like under the handle to test the leather. It might lift the dye, who knows? In my experience with hairspray on ink which is on fabric, it causes the ink to dissolve and I do not let the hairspray dry, I start dabbing at it with a damp, white rag that has a little bit of white bar soap on it to try to wipe up the ink before it spreads out. It's not easy. I've never tried hairspray on leather. If I did I would first test it under the handle and I would spray the hairspray on a Q-tip, not on the bag directly.