I think UPS stole my package. Employee on the phone had a Freudian slip?!

asin

as in asian
Mar 11, 2008
Around 3 weeks ago I dropped off 2 boxes at my local UPS store. Each box contained a pair of shoes I am returning to Shoebuy.com valuing at $129 each and had separate return labels.

Last week, I was notified that I have received a refund for only one pair of the shoes. I was alarmed since I mailed both packages at the same time.

I contacted shoebuy.com and found out that for one of the packages, the tracking says that a shipping label has been created. Meaning nothing has been done yet. However, I know for a fact that I'd dropped off those shoes at the UPS store with that shipping label on the package.

I called the UPS store and spoke to a woman on the phone, who was very rude. I told her that I dropped off a package and there is still no tracking information. She told me "there is no way, everything we receive here gets picked up by the UPS truck." I'm pretty sure I did not mention what the contents of the package was. I'd only use the word "package." However, the woman said "We don't have the shoes." How did she know the package contained shoes???

It's possible that I did mention shoes, although I don't think I did. To their defense, I dropped off the package 3 weeks ago with two guys, and there's no way the lady knows who I am. However, if I really did not mention shoes, a likely explanation is that the woman stole the shoes and it's the only item she has stolen, and it slipped out.

I asked to speak to the manager and she used the good old "I am the manager" line. The store is closed until 1/2 so I am planning to go there in person then. It'd be pretty funny if I see the woman I spoke with on the phone, wearing the shoes I returned haha.

Unfortunately I don't have the receipt from the UPS store anymore. But I do have the tracking number. I waited until they scanned my package at the UPS store before I left with the receipt. Shouldn't it be in their system that they had scanned the package?

What do you guys know about this situation and is it likely that it'll resolve in my favor?

Last edited:
It's possible she looked at the tracking number and inferred they were shoes since the package was marked for shoebuy. I would give her the benefit of the doubt. Why would she risk her job for a pair of shoes only valued at $120 vs say $600 that might not even fit? This happened to me once with a certififed check that was being forwarded and the PO swore they didn't have it for two weeks. I kept hearing there was no way it was sitting at the first PO unforwarded. Kept calling and someone else much more cooperative actually looked and found the check just sitting there unforwarded for two weeks. Some people don't want to be bothered to actually do their jobs.

This is oh-so-iffy because if you go to shoebuy.com's Facebook page, you will see lots ppl who have problems getting refunds from them! I know for a fact that they don't stand by everything they state on their website re: exchanges/honoring promotion prices. I will only buy from them if I know that I will keep the item FOR SURE. I better know it fits, the color is right, everything. They do have great prices, promos often...
Because I knew they had problems with returns, I copied my tracking number down to make sure they got my return. I had to post on their FB page to get my refund, I even had the name of the guy who signed for it at their dock, via tracking. I was glad to know this; glad to know that refunds could be problematic with shoebuy. Shortly after I nagged on their FB page, they refunded me.
I would hope a UPS agent wouldn't steal. They get soooo many packages and stealing is something that one doesn't buy into just a slice of, you go for all the pies, so to speak.

It's possible she looked at the tracking number and inferred they were shoes since the package was marked for shoebuy. I would give her the benefit of the doubt. Why would she risk her job for a pair of shoes only valued at $120 vs say $600 that might not even fit? This happened to me once with a certififed check that was being forwarded and the PO swore they didn't have it for two weeks. I kept hearing there was no way it was sitting at the first PO unforwarded. Kept calling and someone else much more cooperative actually looked and found the check just sitting there unforwarded for two weeks. Some people don't want to be bothered to actually do their jobs.

I did not even get a chance to give her the tracking number. I just told her the situation and her automatic response was a defensive "No way."

This is oh-so-iffy because if you go to shoebuy.com's Facebook page, you will see lots ppl who have problems getting refunds from them! I know for a fact that they don't stand by everything they state on their website re: exchanges/honoring promotion prices. I will only buy from them if I know that I will keep the item FOR SURE. I better know it fits, the color is right, everything. They do have great prices, promos often...
Because I knew they had problems with returns, I copied my tracking number down to make sure they got my return. I had to post on their FB page to get my refund, I even had the name of the guy who signed for it at their dock, via tracking. I was glad to know this; glad to know that refunds could be problematic with shoebuy. Shortly after I nagged on their FB page, they refunded me.
I would hope a UPS agent wouldn't steal. They get soooo many packages and stealing is something that one doesn't buy into just a slice of, you go for all the pies, so to speak.

Yikes, I wish I'd known this about Shoebuy. It doesn't seem to be their fault though since according to the tracking number the item has not been scanned or shipped, much less reach their warehouse. Unless Shoebuy gave me a defective shipping label, resulting in problems with the return.

i doubt she stole your shoes. what are the chances? like you said, you randomly called up UPS.

if you have the tracking no, should be quite safe. just wait patiently for more info, if not call again next week. there could be just delays given it's the holiday season.

Around 3 weeks ago I dropped off 2 boxes at my local UPS store. Each box contained a pair of shoes I am returning to Shoebuy.com valuing at $129 each and had separate return labels.

Last week, I was notified that I have received a refund for only one pair of the shoes. I was alarmed since I mailed both packages at the same time.

I contacted shoebuy.com and found out that for one of the packages, the tracking says that a shipping label has been created. Meaning nothing has been done yet. However, I know for a fact that I'd dropped off those shoes at the UPS store with that shipping label on the package.

I called the UPS store and spoke to a woman on the phone, who was very rude. I told her that I dropped off a package and there is still no tracking information. She told me "there is no way, everything we receive here gets picked up by the UPS truck." I'm pretty sure I did not mention what the contents of the package was. I'd only use the word "package." However, the woman said "We don't have the shoes." How did she know the package contained shoes???

It's possible that I did mention shoes, although I don't think I did. To their defense, I dropped off the package 3 weeks ago with two guys, and there's no way the lady knows who I am. However, if I really did not mention shoes, a likely explanation is that the woman stole the shoes and it's the only item she has stolen, and it slipped out.

I asked to speak to the manager and she used the good old "I am the manager" line. The store is closed until 1/2 so I am planning to go there in person then. It'd be pretty funny if I see the woman I spoke with on the phone, wearing the shoes I returned haha.

Unfortunately I don't have the receipt from the UPS store anymore. But I do have the tracking number. I waited until they scanned my package at the UPS store before I left with the receipt. Shouldn't it be in their system that they had scanned the package?

What do you guys know about this situation and is it likely that it'll resolve in my favor?

yes, the fact that you dropped it off and it was scanned into their system should reflected in their tracking info. i would call the 1-800 ups number and explain the situation and see what they have to say.

asin said:

Terrible! So sorry to hear.
I think it will be hard for you to prove that this lady at UPS stole your package.
The tracking should say that it has been dropped off if you were there and saw her do that.
In worst case, I believe every package comes with $100 insurance regardless of added insurance. I may be wrong, but you may want to check on that.
Luckily, it's not a $2000 item, though.

Please keep us updated!

Also, be aware that even though you shipped them a while ago, sometimes packages get lost... but will eventually find their way to the destination. Where was it going? I know that I had sent something to NJ from Boston, and it was a small bubble envelope and it took weeks to get there, when it should have taken days because of Sandy.