I think my cobbler did an awful job. Help!

scorpio13

Apr 16, 2007
So I posted in the Vibram thread that I just picked up a brand new pair of VPs from the cobbler. I'm upset that the sides are all scratched up and the overall job is pretty sloppy. My bf went to talk to the cobbler today and basically the cobbler refused to accept any responsibility. What do you guys think I should do?
IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG%5D

Last edited:
:cursing:OMG he really scratched up the leather!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rant::mad::mad:

what an A**HOLE!!!! :censor::censor: do you have any before pics you can show him??? were they brand new shoes, never been worn before???

:cursing:OMG he really scratched up the leather!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rant::mad::mad:

what an A**HOLE!!!! :censor::censor: do you have any before pics you can show him??? were they brand new shoes, never been worn before???

Yep, brand new. Never worn. I'm so sad!!!

And I'm not sure having any before and after pics would really help because he told my bf that he's not perfect and he did the best he could, no shoe is perfect, you can't even see it, etc...blah blah blah

Last edited:
So sorry you have had such a poor job done, your cobbler has no excuse for such sloppy work.

They have not even tried to blend the back edge so it flows neatly into the beginning of the arch!! Most do this by chamferring the edge and some cut it into the leather slightly.

The cut in the upper looks like it was done when they trimmed the Vibram to size. I have never seen this done before, they must have really been rushing to cause that or they had an in-experienced person doing it!!

I'd see if they belong to a trade association of some kind and send them the photos for their comments and advice.

Last edited:
I would present him with the bill for your brand new shoes. That is absurd.
Please tell us who did this work, so none of use ever uses him.

Oh, that's not good work at all!! :nono: What a jerk! You should definitely take the shoes to another cobbler (preferably one that is recommended by someone). I'm sure a more knowledgeable cobbler can help. And at least try to get a refund from the first cobbler. Don't give up on that.

Sorry this happened to you.

Oh Scorpio, I am so sorry this happened to you:hugs:I see that you are in CA.....perhaps there is a cobbler near you that someone here could HIGHLY recommend.....or it may be posted in the cobbler thread. I have not taken my shoes to have vibrams put on for that very reason! I know Bella has a fabulous cobbler and a couple of the ladies in NY do too....Nerdy, I think. Perhaps you could PM them.

If you are angry enough, and the incompetent cobbler won't settle the matter with you.....Small claims court could be an option. IMO he had no business accepting them if he could not be trusted with the responsibility of the repair.

I am certain a good, trusted cobbler can help make it better.

Last edited:
all i know is, DO NOT BRING YOUR SHOES BACK TO HIM TO BE FIXED!!!! i wouldn't let him touch them again with a ten foot pole!

contact the Better Business Bureau (BBB)... they will contact him for you, and then he will be required to respond.

panrixx- you are such an awesome expert. can anything even be done? or is it just beyond repair?

I would think that a 'good' cobbler could remove those Vibrams and then fit another pair reaching slightly further back, to cover the sole damage. The cut on the lower section of the black leather upper is another matter. It's surprising what a 'good' cobbler can do so I'd suggest asking a few how they would go about repairing that area and see who you feel confident with.

Honestly it looks like you took this to just a "regular" cobber. You cannot take your $800+ shoes to any ordinary cobbler who ordinarily handles Nine West etc. And honestly I don't think you can get too angry with him if he really didn't know what he was dealing with. With these fine of shoes you must seek a professional who knows what he is dealing with, both in quality of shoe and standards of his client!

Suggestion: I always take a less expensive shoe to a cobbler first, for the same work. If am a happy, then and only then do I take my CLs/other fancy shoes.

Bottom line: these are fixable. Find a GOOD cobbler and have them fixed.

Last edited:
I'm sorry shoebunny...but even the "payless" shoe cobbler's i've been too with my inexpensive shoes have done 100% better jobs... It has nothing to do with being a "regular" cobbler. Yes she CAN get angry about this because him not knowing how to deal with expensive shoes has NOTHING to do with putting on a rubber sole on correctly! Sorry to be upset about it but it's inexcusable for a cobbler to destroy ANY shoe whether it be expensive or not.

Last edited:
Oh Scorpio, I am so sorry this happened to you:hugs:I see that you are in CA.....perhaps there is a cobbler near you that someone here could HIGHLY recommend.....or it may be posted in the cobbler thread. I have not taken my shoes to have vibrams put on for that very reason! I know Bella has a fabulous cobbler and a couple of the ladies in NY do too....Nerdy, I think. Perhaps you could PM them.

If you are angry enough, and the incompetent cobbler won't settle the matter with you.....Small claims court could be an option. IMO he had no business accepting them if he could not be trusted with the responsibility of the repair.

I am certain a good, trusted cobbler can help make it better.

If you are in SOCAL call the CL Boutique at South Coast Plaza. They have a cobbler they can recommend. The Boutique says he's created some miracles. So sorry you have to go through this.