I think my cat hate his claws.

I find training them at a younger age with the trimmings and keeping up with it is much better... it just becomes an accepted practice and common place and mine just sit back and mumble until it's done and then they are back to normal.

Exactly. This is also great for owners of cats who would like to wash them every once in a while. The kittens I've just adopted (through fostering) I have discovered LOVES water! Start from filling the bath to a point where the dip becomes a puddle & they can walk in & out of it, Soft strokes of your hand in the water to show that it's safe, that if you can do it, then no harm will come to them! Make it fun. When they are comfortable with this, fill the bath to a full inch or two. Always keep a rubber matt underneath to prevent slipping.

My kittens will run up & into the bath every time I set the shower on/bath running!

But this is going off topic. :oh:

Just make sure you have the right type of clippers. There are also tutorials on youtube to how you should cut your cats nails.

If your cat is comfortable with being handled, he/she shouldn't mind so much. Just pick up the basics & make it quick - snip snip snip!! Done.

I would not declaw a 3 year old cat! I will admit to having my previous cat declawed when he was a kitten, about 6 or 8 weeks old I believe. He lived to be 13 and died from cancer. he ran, jumped and even scratched at things just like a cat with claws would have done. He was not depressed. But, maybe that was because he didn't know any better since he had never had claws(we only had his front claws done).

Same applies to cats even if they can climb & are not depressed. Who are you doing this for? You or your cat? I think it's just selfish & I just couldn't imagine doing this to my little kittens. It's unnatural. Sorry.

Last edited:
My boy is completely de-clawed because he couldn't control himself when he was a baby, he was destroying the house and he used to come into our beds when we were sleeping and jab at us with his paw, sticking us with his claws right in the scalp. My girl only has her back claws because she can behave. She's funny actually, she bites her back nails every night like kitty pedicure time :P I'd say trim them if you don't want to de-claw him but if he's uncomfortable I really don't see anything wrong with de-clawing if he's an indoor cat (which mine both are)

I'm sorry, but cats have claws and if I have a problem with it, I should look for a pet that suits me better.

De-clawing is just cruel and thankfully forbidden in many countries.

No animal should have to be made to fit the owners needs. It's the other way around.

It's not their fingers, its their nails, there's a difference. And as for that by all means take my nails I bite them constantly they're of no use to me! I don't want to rub anyone the wrong way that's just my opinion on it and I see that I"m in the minority there, but I still love animals and mine have very good lives

Just to add, I don't really mind either way, when I live on my own I probably won't have it done because it's not important like getting them fixed but I live with my mom so it's not my decision for the time being

It's not their fingers, its their nails, there's a difference. And as for that by all means take my nails I bite them constantly they're of no use to me! I don't want to rub anyone the wrong way that's just my opinion on it and I see that I"m in the minority there, but I still love animals and mine have very good lives

^^ Google declawing then. Wikipedia has some interesting information on how it's illegal in a lot of countries and is classified under cruelty to animals. It seems more common in the U.S. for some reason, and I don't know why that is. I know it's almost unheard of here in Australia.

Onchectomy (declawing) is disarticulation of the first digit. In essence, it is removal of a portion of the digit-essentially to the first knuckle on a person. If you feel you must have the surgery done, be sure to communicate with the veterinarian regarding pain control. Some practices use morphine patches, local blocking, take-home pain meds, etc.

I think a lot of the problem is people don't really know what's involved in declawing a cat. You are not just removing his nails. You are amputating the first portion off each of his toes. It would be like cutting off the first section of your fingers where your nails are. They don't just remove the nail. They remove that entire section of his toes. It is disgusting and barbaric. It should be outlawed everywhere in my opinion. I have 11 indoor only cats and I can clip all of them myself but one. That one takes my hubby to hold him and me too clip. Still not a big deal. Educate yourself before making any decisions.

I have two kitties both approaching 1 year old....they are both not declawed....pirate has scratched our couch and put a hole in it...my fault for not nipping it in the bud sooner so i purchased sticky paws which has stopped him....even with my beautiful leather couch being ruined i still will not declaw the cats....to me it is inhumane and i agree that if that is what one wishes to do then dont get a cat...in the OPs case it seems your kitty just needs a trim...I notice with my boys when they start to get "stuck" it is because they are in need of a good nail cutting....
and yes just to clarify declawing is not just removing the cats nails it is amputation of the digit....it is essentially taking your finger and cutting of the top part at the joint....i dont think any of us would like that done to us...