I think I've found the reason for my never ending love affair...

viacarolina2394

LV & Bal Obsessed
Aug 6, 2012
I realize lately that even when I purchase a new bag, I'm never fully excited for days.... just for hours or when I'm in Miami and using my bags...

thing is, in Tallahassee I don't go out much and all I use is my Montsouris really for school... is it normal to always want something new even when I haven't gotten to use my bags often?

I think I need to get out more... lol

You are causing me to look in the mirror. I started my luxury bag obsession just after college. Good thing you are taking a look at the behavior now, because it will only get worse.

I am in my 30s and definitley have the "on to the next purchase" syndrome. It is ridiculous. I look at people's postings about bags "wearing out," and I cannot relate because I never wear my stuff often enough for it to wear out. I say that not to brag, but to admit how ridiculous I can be.

All of that said, I LVOE LV (and Chanel too)! I am trying to cut back though. TPF does NOT help. Haha.

I realize lately that even when I purchase a new bag, I'm never fully excited for days.... just for hours or when I'm in Miami and using my bags...

thing is, in Tallahassee I don't go out much and all I use is my Montsouris really for school... is it normal to always want something new even when I haven't gotten to use my bags often?

I don't think it's an issue of wanting more bags, I think it's more of you enjoy the high you get from buying a new one. Well once that wears off, what next? I'm going through the same thing and now that I've cut myself off so I can focus on my debt, it's very, very hard.

The only bags in my collection that have wear are my pre-owned! and I almost prefer to buy preowned mono because when vachetta is sooo naked it gets soo dirty! (and makes me not want to use it.) lol I have a sickness.....

seei started the opposite way, i bought pre loved before new,i had a preloved Alma that was 7 yearsold when i bought her and i then had her for another ten years!! even then although she had been through 4 children with me she still looked good . silly me wanted a " new one" so i sold her instead of having her vachetta replaced. She was a work horse and i have to be honest since i let her go even though i have other Lv bags noneare quite the same. luckily im at a stage now where i dont need to think to much about buying a new one. if i want one i have one, but not very often i do. Im fortunate in that my husband encourages me , sometimes a little too much. sometimes hes even worse than me ! last weekend he dragged me in to see Sebastian becuase he knew i had mentioned getting a smaller wallet at some point, but thats what i meant " no rush some point! " an hour later we were sat in starbucks and i had a new murakami Joey wallet! . sometimes no mtter how hardyou try you just cant resist x

Sadly it's true. I have about 30 pairs of designer shoes that I've never worn. I've never worn 2 pairs of LV and two pairs of Chanels yet I have another pair of LVs ordered. How is that even possible? It's an addiction.

I don't think it's an issue of wanting more bags, I think it's more of you enjoy the high you get from buying a new one. Well once that wears off, what next? I'm going through the same thing and now that I've cut myself off so I can focus on my debt, it's very, very hard.

Definitely all about the "high."
That's why I have a goal of 1 bag and 1 SLG per year. Anything else for me is excessive and hoarding. Even if I was a "collector" you don't collect everything you have in one year!! I would like to get good use out of all the bags I own before deciding on another and if it really fits into my collection. I love love variety and I couldn't add another bag just to add one. You should take out all the bags you own and analyze why you need it and what it is used for before purchasing another one. Like they say "all that glitters is not gold."

If I find one I want, I get very fixated on it, but for some reason it is really hard for me to find a bag I like. Once I find a type of bag I like, (for instance the neverfull), I generally want most of the patterns/colors,made in that bag. In the case of the NF, do not like mono, and do not like pink or blue handles and cannot afford special editions so I think I am set. Coach, which I also like has discontinued my true love bag, so I am out of the woods for now.

The high of getting the new bag sounds like addictive behavior. I enjoy a new bag, but do not really feel a high. I just feel good every time I bring out a bag period. I enjoy my old favorites too. Everyone is different in what they are buying and why they are buying. I would generally say that if you are buying things that you don't use, it may be indicative of addictive behavior, but if you have the money just buy things and stare at them, that is your personal business, I would worry about it if the behavior was affecting you financially or your relationships with others.

I am the same way with any designer bags. My real true addiction started with Rebecca Minkoff. I would buy one, and be on the search for the next before the 1st was even delivered. I had to take a break from tPF just to gain some perspective and realize I needed to enjoy the ones I owned. Since then I've bought 4 more RMs. And my first LV.

So now I feel like its starting all over with LV. BUT the one good thing is that LV isn't as easy to just go out and impulse buy like I would with RM. Since even the preloved resale values aren't much less than brand new. I have time to sit back and really think about what I want next while I'm saving. And it's actually helping curb my impulse buying because when I see a new RM bag I like, I think to myself... Do you REALLY want that or do you just want to buy just for the sake of buying. Because that can be $200+ that I can put towards my next LV.

But I've only had my first for less than a week and I'm already planning ahead for my next (two) purchases.

I've been collecting and carrying LV since 1986. I have some vintage pieces that I wouldn't part with for anything. Except for a brief (and I must emphasize BRIEF) period in 1994 when I had a "thing" for Dooney & Bourke, I have always carried LV bags and always had LV accessories. Over the years, people have asked me if I carry anything other than LV and after I explain away the D&B phase, I tell them no.

Brava for bringing up a very important issue to the forum. Another user brought up a similar topic the other day, but yours probably applies to more people that we might realize.

No, it's not "normal" to constantly want a new LV bag.

It may be fun and entertaining to read about purchases -- and watch all those lovely reveals -- but at the end of the day, it really has to be about turning it off and getting back to our regularly scheduled lives. It's definitely not about trying to keep up or feel like it's imperative to get that bag we've "always wanted". It is possible to be content with what you already have.

Just one example of how much pressure some people put on themselves: there has been much ado about the impending price increase, and people are almost panicked. Since I've been buying LV, prices have doubled, and in some cases more than that. How's that for a price increase? But I sure as hell didn't rush out to get more stuff just because of it. Frankly, most people don't... because most people aren't keeping track... because most people don't get constantly reminded of it. I will venture to say that those people are probably happier for it.

If you search the topic threads, you'll see a lot of these: "oh no I did it again", or "why can't I stop buying?", or "help me choose". Doesn't that seem a bit odd?

In short, make use of the bags you already have and appreciate them for the reasons you bought them in the first place. Sorry for the long-winded reply to your simple question. However, it wasn't so simple after all.

thereovl said:
Brava for bringing up a very important issue to the forum. Another user brought up a similar topic the other day, but yours probably applies to more people that we might realize.

No, it's not "normal" to constantly want a new LV bag.

It may be fun and entertaining to read about purchases -- and watch all those lovely reveals -- but at the end of the day, it really has to be about turning it off and getting back to our regularly scheduled lives. It's definitely not about trying to keep up or feel like it's imperative to get that bag we've "always wanted". It is possible to be content with what you already have.

Just one example of how much pressure some people put on themselves: there has been much ado about the impending price increase, and people are almost panicked. Since I've been buying LV, prices have doubled, and in some cases more than that. How's that for a price increase? But I sure as hell didn't rush out to get more stuff just because of it. Frankly, most people don't... because most people aren't keeping track... because most people don't get constantly reminded of it. I will venture to say that those people are probably happier for it.

If you search the topic threads, you'll see a lot of these: "oh no I did it again", or "why can't I stop buying?", or "help me choose". Doesn't that seem a bit odd?

In short, make use of the bags you already have and appreciate them for the reasons you bought them in the first place. Sorry for the long-winded reply to your simple question. However, it wasn't so simple after all.

This!

I have the same problem.

I'm in the same boat! We should start a sad little club (that will be a happy one in the end, when the debt is gone).

I've always wanted to comment on this! Even as a crazy, rabid, obsessive shopper... I do NOT understand the "help me choose" or "what should I buy?" question when it's posted. This is not about $1 packs of gum! For the amount of money that this stuff costs, shouldn't you KNOW what you want? Shouldn't you love something? I almost pass out when I see "I have $1500... what should I buy?" PUT IT IN THE BANK! Then you'll have it when you see something and want it. I don't understand the "put money in the shredder" type of shopping, where it's being spent just to spend. I spend money I DON'T have, which is a different problem, so trust me I am NOT insulting anyone... I just don't get why, when there is money in your hand, you seek other people to tell you what to do with it. If nothing is on your radar, KEEP THE MONEY!

Sidenote: I understand "I want the Neverfull or the Totally... pros and cons? Which should I get?" thing, that's just comparison shopping based on people who have owned the bags so that you can make an informed decision based on their experiences. I'm not talking about that.