I think I'm going to up and move to Chicago.

IntlSet said:
Should I apply for positions that require 3 years of experience anyway? Or will they just throw my resume out?

Yes! Apply for every position that interests you. That's what I did, even if they did throw my resume out. You never know! I think if you don't have any commitments in SF, and you're wanting to move, go for it. What do you have to lose? Your family sounds very supportive, and I think it will be a great opportunity to live in a different place, meet new people, etc. :nuts:

Concerning resumé writing, Lifehacker did a topic on it recently, with words that can actually hurt your application.

Here is the link. It leads to a CNN article and the comments contain some useful information from LH readers.

Hope this helps.

clanalois said:
The thing you will probably miss most about CA is the landscape and mild weather. Chicago is flat, smelly, and gets super hot and super cold.

Other than that, it's a great city! Shopping is basically on two streets (at least, the kind of shopping I assume you like to do) -- Oak St. and the 900 N Michigan shops.

It'd be great if you moved out here! I'll definitely show you around! :smile:

Since when is Chicago smelly? My best friend lives there and as a Michigan native, I've been there quite a bit. I agree that the shopping is great, and you get a great big city feel without the big city prices (i.e: NYC, lovely, but even though they have a ton of jobs, you'll be living in a 200 square foot studio for close to 2K a month.) It's certainly a change from sunny CA temperature wise, but the summers are certainly worth it. Just stock up on scarves and Uggs for the winter and you'll be fine. :biggrin:

Chicago's awesome, I was born there, and lots of my family still lives there. You will love it, although the winters are brutal. Have you thought about Texas? We have tons of great museums and art-related stuff here--lots in Dallas, and a great museum district here in Fort Worth. Best of luck in your job search!!

IntelSet--Did you say you are an architect? I went to Notre Dame (i.e. field trips to Chicago every semester) and lived there for a summer. I might be moving out there too in June. It's a great city. Laid back, but still huge and with lots of culture. Good Luck!!! :smile:

I grew up in Chicago and I wish that I am still there. Chicago has changed a lot over the years, beautiful and clean, lots of shopping and not limited to Michigan and North Ave. Lots of neighborhoods with boutiques and independent designers...plus, lots of resturants.

If you visit, take the artitecture boat tour down the Chicago Canal.

Sanguar said:
IntelSet--Did you say you are an architect? I went to Notre Dame (i.e. field trips to Chicago every semester) and lived there for a summer. I might be moving out there too in June. It's a great city. Laid back, but still huge and with lots of culture. Good Luck!!! :smile:

No, I'm not an architect, I only wish! I'm an art history major... what fascinates me most is architecture. However, I don't think that's what I'll be working with in the art field.

I called the Anthenaeum, Chicago's architecture and design museum (right?) to ask about job openings and I can't believe how rude they were! The guy answered, "Nope" then hung up! Yeesh!

I completely encourage the idea. Do a little research before you just pick up and move. Find a safe place to live. Make sure you're ok with bone-chilling winters. You'll be set.

While you're single, young, and enthusiastic, is a great time to try something new. You'll make friends quickly and friends/family can always visit. I say give it a try!

i :heart: chicago! i've been twice and really loved it both times, even though both times were during winter and i hate winter! sadly, i couldn't ever live there (or any place with a real winter) since i'm one of those people that gets mopey and depressed when it's cold, but i think it would be an awesome place to live if i could - it's soooo different than Atlanta (Atlanta is REALLY white-collar, Chicago seems more industrial to me). not that i don't love Atlanta (because i really, really do) but we always want what we don't have, right?

good luck finding a job! no matter what, i'm sure everything will work out like it's supposed to :smile:

Oh IntlSet! Chicago is wonderful! (as is New York). I have absolutely the best real estate agent for you there too, if you ever need one.

Also, the SAs at the Hermes store are terrifically helpful and accessible.

coco-nut said:
Oh IntlSet! Chicago is wonderful! (as is New York). I have absolutely the best real estate agent for you there too, if you ever need one.

Also, the SAs at the Hermes store are terrifically helpful and accessible.

Wow, thanks, coconut!

You don't need a broker just to rent in Chicago, unlike Manhattan, right?

Is it like Manhattan also where I should start looking for a place three months in advance?

Aww sorry they were rude on the phone! The best way is to constantly check the websites, most people answering the phones won't really know everything that is being offered anyway.

Graduating with an art history major, I had a few ideal places in mind where I wanted to work. I had to basically settle for a position until something came around that I really wanted...and eventually I got it and I'm working at the place I had always wanted to work! Just saying, it took a while to get! I suppose with any field, it is all about timing...its just in the arts there are a lot fewer positions to fill. If you have the time this semester or even over the summer, you should definitely try to intern or volunteer. Now, also, I don't think I would've done anything in my job search differently (I focused solely on non-profits), and I love where I'm working and stuff...but I'm also able to mooch off my parents big time! And I don't know what your situation will be, but I think if I had to support myself I'd have had to look for something corporate...because I feel like a glorified volunteer with my starting salary! The plus is that everyone seems to really enjoy themselves, the work and what they're working for.

Anyway, lots of luck finishing up school (yay!) and in your job search!

Blue! That's inspiring, thank you.

I aimed for the big leagues first... mistake on my part, I shouldn't have been shocked when my resume got thrown out! Hopefully I'll be in your shoes soon!

I did just get rejected from a fund-raising job at University of Chicago. I "did not meet minimum requirements." Hot dang.