I think I'm going to up and move to Chicago.

IntlSet

Bonjour!
Jan 29, 2006
Blue824 said:
Our winters can be cold, but not any colder than say nyc...and this year they got way more snow there than we did here. But almost every Chicagoan will tell you we put up with the winters because of the summers. They're the best! I grew up here, but I came back after college and I'm enjoying it even more...I guess I took a lot of things forgranted. It has a lot to offer, so if you move, I hope you enjoy it! What field are you hoping to find a job in?

Art! Any suggestions? I really wanted to work at the Anthenaeum but they have no openings. :sad2:

clanalois

i <3 bags
O.G.
Dec 29, 2005
The thing you will probably miss most about CA is the landscape and mild weather. Chicago is flat, smelly, and gets super hot and super cold.

Other than that, it's a great city! Shopping is basically on two streets (at least, the kind of shopping I assume you like to do) -- Oak St. and the 900 N Michigan shops.

It'd be great if you moved out here! I'll definitely show you around! :smile:

Blue824

Jan 9, 2006
I don't know if it'll help, but www.npo.net has chicago nonprofit job listings, museums, foundations, theaters... may be worth looking at occasionally. I have worked at two of the local museums, and right now I'm in development, and I"ll be starting my MAs in arts administration and art history this upcoming year. I think anything art/nonprofit related is just tough in general, just takes a lot of resumes and research into opportunities. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know!

There is a lot of shopping in the city, I guess I rarely go to Michigan Ave/Oak St because it is so touristy...unless you need to go into gucci, prada, chanel, lv, barneys or something specific, but there are lots of privately owned boutiques and stuff on the north side of the city that are really popular...its just not usually what people find on their first trip or two to the city.

Care

Perhaps, Love?
Feb 25, 2006
I have never been to Chicago (so far..) but I strongly encourage you to go!
You are absolutely right, we are only young for once and I am kicking myself for jumping right into work and stayed in California after I graduated.
I am counting on my MBA to move to either NYC or Boston. I love and miss the whole big city environment and the convenience ever since moving from Taipei.

IntlSet

Bonjour!
Jan 29, 2006
Blue824 said:
I don't know if it'll help, but www.npo.net has chicago nonprofit job listings, museums, foundations, theaters... may be worth looking at occasionally. I have worked at two of the local museums, and right now I'm in development, and I"ll be starting my MAs in arts administration and art history this upcoming year. I think anything art/nonprofit related is just tough in general, just takes a lot of resumes and research into opportunities. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know!

:amazed:
BLUE! You are too awesome. I owe you and Clanalois a drink when I get to Chicago!

IntlSet

Bonjour!
Jan 29, 2006
I guess the problem, Blue and whomever else might be able to advise, is that I have no experience! Bah!

Should I apply for positions that require 3 years of experience anyway? Or will they just throw my resume out?

Care

Perhaps, Love?
Feb 25, 2006
I think you should apply anyway, but put down experiences with school activities, volunteer experiences, or leadership skills in a cover letter that will justify the lack of real world experience. I know writing a cover letter is a lot of work especially if you are applying multiple jobs, but that's exactly what's gonna give you an edge.

I just did the whole recruiting process last year so if you have any questions interview related, I'd love to help.

puddinhd58

O.G.
Dec 8, 2005
Chicago is a wonderful place to live!!! :love:

It is so alive. So much to do and see.......it has a life of it's own.

I think you would love it! :love: ;)

The winters do get a little cold with the Lake blowing on you, but you just dress appropriatly and your fine! The spring, summer and fall here is worth putting up with the winter!

I do NOT live in the city limits (although I would love to! My DH WILL NOT) but work in the city and go play there every chance I get.

Good luck to you wherever you end up!
There are PF's all over the place!!! :biggrin:

melisande

O.G.
Jan 20, 2006
My best friend is finishing up (in Art History, we both do Art History) at UChicago. She'll be back there in a few months.
She actually really doesn't like living there... but I visited her there, and had a lot of fun.

*JJ*

En Vogue
O.G.
Sep 13, 2005
i suggest sending your resumé to every place you'd like to work at even if they don't have any openings. that's how i got my job.
maybe you're lucky. and if they're not hiring you at least they have your resumé. maybe something will upen up in a month or two and then they have your number.

*JJ*

En Vogue
O.G.
Sep 13, 2005
oh btw, i read a few books about how to prepare for a job interview and this is what they usually say if you're straight outta college and have no experience yet:

Look over your courses and part-time & summer jobs (if any); do not neglect any other activities such as clubs, sports, etc. Now---think about all the skills that are needed to perform the job you are interviewing for. Lots of skills are transferable and highly valued such as communication, delegating, organizing. First think in terms of verbs...things that must be done. Next, think of adjectives that should describe the person doing the job such as calm, patient, incisive, creative . . .you get the idea.

Now that you have this list of what is needed for the job (verbs and adjectives), come up with as many examples of these attributes in your experience and/or coursework. For example, if you had completed several extensive reports, they involved research, time management and organizational skills. Tell short stories as examples of 'proof' of your expertise.

Being able to translate college experiences to job-needed skills is an art in itself. If you are not certain of the qualities needed for the job, do some research on it yourself. Talk to professional organizations or individuals in the field. Make sure you do some research on the organization you want to work for...show them that you are interested and motivated by the fact that you did your 'homework' before applying.

hope this helps :smile: