I think I finally conquered the premier designer disease!

BgaHolic, you are so true. I bought a Celine bag last week and now the corners are already dirty and I got grease stain all over the bag. I bought a DKNY bag yesterday and I did some oil test on it and there's no oil stain at all!!! Go figure!

Hi, I'm considering a Celine-do you mind telling me which model that is? It'll help me to think twice!!

Great post! After I went through all Chloe, Mulberry, LV era, I opened my mind toward other cult brands that not widely known but make interesting bags. Right now my work horse is Marco Tagliaferri. Also I love my JAS M.B., Vanessa Bruno and Alexander Wang. I'm also interested in Dunlin (handmade in Brooklyn, low quantity production). I stll buy bags and not saving enough:biggrin: but I care much less for brand tag than design and quality.

It's the Celine Stripe Tote. But I cleaned it up with leather cleaner foam and now it's clean again. I have also sprayed it with Apple Garde. But I think I would just have to clean when it gets dirty. The quality and the craftsmanship of the bag is amazing, though....

Hi, I'm considering a Celine-do you mind telling me which model that is? It'll help me to think twice!!

I don't know how I did it but I think I conquered the premier designer disease! In the past, I would not look at non premiere designer bags. If I saw a bag that I thought was just "ho-hum" and I then later found out it was YSL, I suddenly loved it. Conversely, if I saw a bag that looked like a Bottega V. and I thought it was beautiful but once I realized it was Cole Haan, I was like, Eh, Blah! I have been trying to get over this disease of "snobbery" and shallow, designer focused taste. Recently, I found out I am getting a decent bonus from work. When I found out, I started looking for bags by YSL, Marc Jacobs, Miu Miu, Prada, LV etc around the $1500 mark. I then found out that I owed quite a bit on my income taxes when I was expecting a refund so my budget got cut...by like 75%.:shocked:
I began looking for bags in the $400 or less category (used through Fashionphile, ebay, Ann's Fabulous Finds etc) and realized that while I did find a MJ and LV within that budget, I was actually more attracted to a Michael Kors bag that I found. MK is not a premiere designer but I actually was more attracted to the looks of that bag than to the designer ones that I would have previously preferred. When I was faced with the option of buying 2 bags, one that was only so-so in style but had a BIG designer name on it or a lesser designer bag with HUGE chic style panache, I decided on the Michael Kors. I don't know how I broke free of this "elitist" mindset (and I will admit, that is exactly what it was) to being more true to what I thought was stylish, not about the name on the bag. Have you ever experienced this type of transformation? What situation made you see the error of your ways and bring you back to style rather than name?

Mostly what I think is stylish, is premier designer brands. I buy Chanel exclusively. This is not to say that I fall in love with every Chanel bag that I see. On the contrary, I think that some Chanel handbags are downright hideous. However, I won't deny the fact that I like what I like and that's premier designers.

I'm so glad I found this thread. As much as I love bags, they don't change my life. My most expensive bags are Balenciagas which I bought last year, prior to that, Gucci, then it's a whole mix of everything because I simply love bags...all different brands: Hogan, MbMJ, Burberry, Rebecca Minkoff, Linea Pelle, Treesje, Coach, Michael Kors, Fossil Fifty Four, Fossil, LSS, Tokidoki, LAMB, Cole Haan, Juicy Couture and everything in between...don't get me wrong, I still want my Chanel 2.55 flap, more Gucci and several Bottega Venetas but I'm on this big Kipling phase right now! Yea, I used to see Kipling for years in the stores and wondered why they cost so much for such rough nylon? I preferred LSS much more. But right now, I'm perfectly happy sporting my nylon water-resistant Kiplings. Anyway, I'm seriously running out of space for my bag collection so at least Kiplings can be squished flat, are washable and won't get wrecked if I store them too long. If I get bored with my Kiplings (one day I will), I know I should just go into my closet and use something gorgeous that I already own:nuts:

Hey! I recently tried to order from Arnotts in Dublin but their website is out of date so there was nothinig for me to order afterall. I was going for the Kipling defea satchel in minked grey and plummy. UK store sold out, too.

Hey! I recently tried to order from Arnotts in Dublin but their website is out of date so there was nothinig for me to order afterall. I was going for the Kipling defea satchel in minked grey and plummy. UK store sold out, too.

Maybe you could try the Kipling site, missmoimoi. Or even eBay. They seem to have loads there. :smile:

Thank you, heather123. I have placed a few orders from Kipling USA and we have a limited selection locally. I'm just too late for some discontinued colours, I'm afraid :shucks: but I cannot complain too much...I should have enough to keep me occupied for a while.

I wonder what it will take to make me cave for another high end bag though?

Well, I will say this: I have recently gotten bitten by the LV bug, but it's interesting because the purse I was carrying prior to my LV that I am carrying now was a no-name, pewter ruffled hobo that I picked up on clearance at TJMaxx for $25. I got a compliment or my purse was noticed whenever I went out every. single. time.

My LV? Not so much.

This is such a great thread! I got bitten by the premier bug last year, but think I'm well on my way to a cure now. Many big "aha" moments lately: my LV Neverfull's straps got so thrashed after just a few months I couldn't believe I dropped $800 on the piece of c$%p, then I ready "Delux" by Dana Thomas which really examines how commercialized luxury brands have become (vs being concerned about quality), and I found an amazing hobo by Caspiel for $450 whose leather would rival any of the big names.

The big enlightenment came this weekend in Vancouver when I was looking at all the big designer bags, and none of them have the quality of my Caspiel. I needed a new wallet, so was thinking of investing in a Chanel WOC. But the staff at the store were so snobby and glib, just frowning "we don't have any in stock". And I realized why would I give $1500 to these snobs for a wallet that will probably wear out as fast as my LV, especially when there's a great D&B wallet on a strap for $130!

I'd like to take your medecine!

I admit it, I like premier designer. I have been downsizing so it's not like I'm out to buy more. But what I have left is 5 YSL and 1 Hermes. (I have one soft grey no-name satchel I bought in a boutique in Paris as well that is really really pretty). It's almost as if I'd prefer a no brand bag over a mid-range brand bag.

But what I find interesting is that this "snobbery" is only internally directed. I have no judgment whatsoever about anyone carrying non-premier desiginer.

I am hoping that my downsizing and general reluctance to buy a bag period will help cure me.

I'd like to take your medecine!

I admit it, I like premier designer. I have been downsizing so it's not like I'm out to buy more. But what I have left is 5 YSL and 1 Hermes. (I have one soft grey no-name satchel I bought in a boutique in Paris as well that is really really pretty). It's almost as if I'd prefer a no brand bag over a mid-range brand bag.

But what I find interesting is that this "snobbery" is only internally directed. I have no judgment whatsoever about anyone carrying non-premier desiginer.

I am hoping that my downsizing and general reluctance to buy a bag period will help cure me.

You're so right...we are so hard on ourselves! And when I was referring to snobbery, I meant the attitude of some of the salespeople at the high end designer stores. I expect to be treated well by any salespeople no matter how young or poor or whatever they guess I am.