I think he's leaving me soon...

Hi everyone,

Just like to give you an update on things with Jimmy:

He didn't finish all his food but at least he finished 80% of his dinner which is a big improvement IMO. :smile:

I just came back from his morning review with the vet, she still feels Jimmy's heart isn't really improving but is glad to hear about his appetite for last night. He has to go back for a jab each week for a month from now on to east his pains. :sad: Yelped a little when they jabbed him.

Jimmy got a jab again to ease his arthritis because it's getting painful for him to move around much. Also, he's been very very picky with food, but I think I have all bases covered with the stuff in the fridge. In anyway, I think he's looking slightly better than the night when he was up vomitting.

Still has some wheezing problems in the night but I'm hoping he will feel better with the new medication provided. :sad:

Will keep you guys updated, thanks for all your love and concern for Jimmy! :smile:

I am glad that he is eating more. When I have had sick dogs I feed them baby food (chicken or lamb) which tastes good, is something new for them, and very easy to digest and easy on the tummy.

I'm glad that he's able to eat most of his dinner again. That's good to hear!

Sorry to hear about his arthritis and wheezing. :sad:
Hopefully, the medication will help him.

Best wishes to Jimmy for a speedy healthy recovery! :heart:

Update:

He's not eating AGAIN... :'(

I don't know what's going on but at least he drinks a lot of water but he won't touch solid food. :sad:

IrishGal, is it okay for senior dogs to eat baby food? Will it be too sweet for him?

Also, the vet says he needs to eat more liver...:'( I may have to go the force feeding route. Does anyone have any suggestions on mincing liver? Is there anyway I can make it semi-fluid enough to feed him by the syringe?

TIA... :crybaby:

I have not posted yet, but i have kept coming back to check on how your little doggie is doing. I am so sorry that he has stopped eating again. As far as baby food is concerned yes he can definitely eat it, i would try and stick to the chicken and fish ones. Have you tried him on boiled cod fillets mashed up my old dog loved it. I know your vet said that he needed to eat more liver but if he is not eating normal food i think that would be very very difficult. The boiled fish is very bland but freshly cooked they usually love it. I hope that helps a little bit.

You could puree the liver in a food processor and add lots of liquid (either water or chicken stock) to thin it out. I just fear he may through it up if you stick a syringe in his mouth. Oh man, and I thought he was doing better. Hugs to both of you!

Cooked liver (on its own, without seasoning) can have a "raw" taste . Perhaps that's why Jimmy isn't eating it? I quickly pulled up a recipe for liver pate on a website called Basic Recipes. (I googled "liver recipes" and this was the first website that showed up). This is just one example of "crushed liver" with seasoning and flavouring. (Please note: you don't have to add all the ingredients. This recipe was just to give you some idea of your options for "soft/crushed" liver):

Chicken Liver Pate

1 pound of chicken livers
Butter or oleo
3 tablespoons of mayonnaise
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
2 tablespoons of butter, softened
1 tablespoon of chopped onion
8 to 10 drops bottled hot pepper sauce
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of dry mustard
Dash of pepper

Cook livers, covered in small amount of butter, stirring occasionally until no longer pink. Put livers through meat grinder, blend with remaining ingredients. Place in 2 cup mold. Chill several hours. Garnish with chopped chives or hard-cooked eggs.

Another food option: you may also try boiling fresh livers in a soup pot so that Jimmy can drink the nutrients from the soup. Once again, add seasoning and flavouring to the soup.

Also, ask your vet if it is ok to give Jimmy vitamin pills that are high in iron. Liver is high in iron. However, please ask your vet first, because I don't know if Jimmy will accidentally choke on the iron pills, and I certainly would not want that to happen!
If chewable iron pills exist, that would reduce the chances of Jimmy choking on them.

Also, please ask your vet first if it is alright to feed liquid food by syringe. I strongly recommend that you do not inject food in Jimmy by syringe until you consult with your vet first.

I'm very sorry to hear that Jimmy isn't able to eat solid foods.
Hopefully, this is only a stage that he's going through - i.e., only being able to eat soft foods until his body is well enough to return back to solid foods.

Best of luck to Jimmy! :heart:

You could puree the liver in a food processor and add lots of liquid (either water or chicken stock) to thin it out. I just fear he may through it up if you stick a syringe in his mouth. Oh man, and I thought he was doing better. Hugs to both of you!

I was thinking the same thing about a food processor! i'm so sorry to hear Jimmy isn't doing well again!! You guys are in my prayers...hugs!

Poor little Jimmy..I just wanted to let you know that my Moms little 13 yr. old poodle Mindy, who has many health problems, seems to enjoy and do very well with cooked hamburger mixed with cooked rice. She tolerates it very well and always has an appetite for this mixture. Wishing all the best for your little guy.

I was so happy to hear that Jimmy was eating and then the rest of the posts was so sad. As far as the liver, I agree with the puree'ing it. There are also some liver treats that they sell. Nutro puts out some puppy food in bags "Yankee Pot Roast" and a "Cheese and Chicken casserole" in bags. It looks like real food and our dogs go crazy for them. Maybe something soft and easier to digest will help. The hamburger meat and rice is a great idea too! My mom did that for our German Shepherd for a long while.

On the good side, at least he is drinking some water. I would probably take him back to the vet and see. Did they run any tests on him? Did they actually say what it was? Maybe I just missed it.

Hang in there and keep us posted. Keeping you and Jimmy in our thoughts!

Hi everyone,

I'm in the UK at the moment, I just had a text message from my sis that Jimmy's back on eating his dinners again and seems much better, although he is still not eating much for breakfast.

Sis says he's looking better than when I was around. :smile: Gonna give you guys an update soon because she will bring him for his review on Thursday!

Thank you everyone. :smile: