I Swear My Carly Is Coughing

OK Bag Lady

New Papillon Mommy
O.G.
Sep 12, 2008
I just carried my new Carly for the first time today. I'm getting ready to leave work so she's sitting on the desk next to my phone. The custodian just came in and swept the floors. I've never been in my classroom when he's swept this year. So, when he came over to my trashcan and dumped the dustpan then pounded it on the side of the can to get all the dirt out I nearly choked. Literally. I will have to say something to the head custodian tomorrow about this because I'm asthmatic and I've been wondering why I seem to have a dust problem all over my desk all the time. I'm furious that my new Carly probably has dirt all over her now. At least it's siggy so the dirt won't be as obvious til I can clean her up. My question is, I don't want my room neglected since we went all last year without a full-time night custodian, so, how do I go about telling the custodian to stop doing this? Especially around my bags and desk. Notice which came first? :nuts: I'm so mad I really want to say something to him now but am controlling myself even though I've already got a headache from breathing all that dirt. (I had 200 kids in an out of my room today, so yes, my tile was dirty.)

This is his job, if he is not doing it right go above him, and let them know that your bag is expensive and whould he like to buy you another if he messes it up? Had a girl at work that would ALWAYS be drinking, etc at me desk, so I ended up writing her up for it, after I asked her like 20 times not to, she thought I was joking until she saw the paperwork. Also she had spilt coffee all over a report that took me WEEKS to complete so I was not happy. My boss supported me as he saw what was happening. If he does a bad job on your classroom, just tell his boss again and then his until it is taken care of. If they do not do the job correctly then do they really need it?

Surely it is common sense not to dirty people's things when it is your job to actually clean. I am sure if you politely explain about your asthma and expensive and lovely coach bag he will understand. He probably just didn't realise or think. Most men just don't understand the whole handbag thing, however the asthma is a different story.

I would talk to the appropriate person about this (Principal?) and make your point going about it from the asthmatic perspective.
Tell him/her exactly what you have told us here (including you being there along with the purse, papers and other desk items) and how the mystery has been solved now that you know that this is how the dust is getting there.

Other than that all I can say is that was extremely rude of the custodian to do that while you were sitting right there!
If it were me there would have been words exchanged right then and there.:cursing:

FYI you might want to get some of those swiffer dusters and keep them in your desk until this situation has been completely rectified.
I have horrible allergies (and the worlds hairiest cat) and they work great!

I would move the trash can away from the desk over by the door maybe and leave a note that you would appreciate him trying to keep dust to a minimum because you have asthma if that doesnt help go above him!!!

I would talk to the custodian first, and address your issue. Say how much you appreciate what he does, then stress the importance of your health issue to him. If he doesn't cooperate then it's time to talk to the Supervisor. If it's a small thing like this I think going over his head about it first may end up pisssing him off, and he will either not clean your room the way it should be cleaned, or continue covering your desk with dust.

I'm sorry but it seems like common sense here to simply move your trash can away from your desk...or you could take the trash bag out and put it by the door so he doesnt have to do it right next to your desk. That way, you're not getting him in trouble for simply doing his job and your helping move the cleaning process along quicker. I don't see the need to tattle on the principal though..just talk to the guy first.

I would also move the trash can if I were you. I am assuming that you, like me, are a high school teacher from the part about 200 kids in and out. Honestly, I would probably not say anything to the custodian other than moving the can. I know in my school, the custodians are really finicky. Those who are nice to them and do not complain end up with sparkling rooms. Others that complain end up with their rooms neglected. I am always super nice and friendly to all of the custodians and they treat me wonderfully and always go above and beyond for me. I would definitely not go and talk to a supervisor.

I would also move the trash can if I were you. I am assuming that you, like me, are a high school teacher from the part about 200 kids in and out. Honestly, I would probably not say anything to the custodian other than moving the can. I know in my school, the custodians are really finicky. Those who are nice to them and do not complain end up with sparkling rooms. Others that complain end up with their rooms neglected. I am always super nice and friendly to all of the custodians and they treat me wonderfully and always go above and beyond for me. I would definitely not go and talk to a supervisor.

I'm an elementary teacher and agree with the above! :tup:

i really think you need to move the trashcan..i can honestly say as part owner of a commercial cleaning ocmpany (just one of my many enterprises lol) i have sweapt before and have watched te employess sweep before and you have to bang the dustpan to get everything out. now me and my employees dont hit it off on a desk instead we dip it in the trashcan if possible otherwise it has to be done up high

I would start by moving the trashcan. If you address anyone, it should be him, and come from a health standpoint. He's just doing his job. Its not like he used your handbag to sweep the floor... so really I dont think your handbag should be brought into this at all. If you are that concerned about your bag, I'd keep in in a drawer, closet, or even consider not bringing it to school.

I see I left some details out earlier. My bag stays locked up in my supply closet all day but was on my desk because I was leaving then got an email about a district committee I belong to having to cancel our meeting tomorrow. I was reading and forwarding the email to my principal when he came in and swept. The trash can is a large barrel type on wheels like used in the cafeteria. I teach elementary art, so we go through a lot of old newspapers each day covering the tables as we complete messy projects. The trash can was not positioned next to my desk, but rather in a corner about 15 feet from my desk. The custodian wheeled it out of the corner as he was sweeping and pushed it in front of the desk, then dumped the dustpan in it. Truth be told, I think he was trying to read the email from across the desk and that's why he pushed it over there.

The dustpan was not supposed to emptied inside the room. It dawned on me while driving home that I've never seen one of our custodians do this in 14 yrs and that's because it's against district policy. With all the computers and technological equipment in the classrooms, purchased with bond money that took 3 years to pass, we must keep as much dust away from them as possible. They're supposed to sweep the floors, push everything into the hall, shut the door and then use the dustpan. I've been wondering why my allergies have been out of control since school started and now I know. I've also been having more problems with my computer on my desk and although I cover it at night, it always seems so dusty. I've also noticed dirty handprints on the white desk when I come in each morning.

I hate tattling on anyone and that's part of the reason I started the thread to ask what you'd do, and also to vent. I've always had a really good rapport with the custodians in my building and usually keep special treats in my desk organizer for them such as lemonade mix for their water bottles or Snickers fun sized bars for them and stuff like that. (I try to keep on their good side after a very big, scary night custodian threatened me the first month I was teaching in another building after the principal told him it was his job to sweep my room not mine. She caught me getting the broom that morning.) I honestly haven't done this for this particular gentleman because he's mouthed off at me on several occasions about the trash can being full. Ummm we were painting in kindergarten and first grade. It takes a lot of newspapers to protect the tables from getting stained up. He even demanded I stop putting trash in my second trash can........WTH?

I've been so happy to have my floors swept more than once a week this year that I hadn't questioned until today why the room still felt dirty and why I've been coughing persistently somedays. In fact, it's gotten so bad a couple of days that the kids have asked me where my inhaler is in case they have to grab it for me. I agree that my outrage on behalf of my Carly would go right over his head, and thus, I'll keep it out of the matter, but I am going to have to talk to him about my health and equipment concerns now that I know where all the excess dirt is coming from. I'm certainly not looking forward to it. If nothing changes, I'll have to go to our head custodian who'll be very nice about it, I'm sure. Thanks for reading and letting me vent. I'm sorry I wrote a book.