I start my first job in 12 years tomorrow!!

Thanks lovely ladies!

he he he, guess what! It sucks :wtf:

oh my god!! I cannot believe it. I had two great interviews, first with HR and then with the store manager and it sounded so great. I know its hard to go by, but here is my first day story!

So on a Sunday the store does not open until 12.00 so you have to get there at 11.30. At that point you are assigned a corner of the store to just dust over the glass shelves in the store and check that the security tags are in place and that the tags are not showing so that the prices are not visibly on display ;) so far so good.

12.00 comes, very few customers at all, and the SAs hover around the door, I did not think much of it, just thought they were being friendly to the customers, I asked if anything needed to be done but no, just wait for customers to come in and be served, and keep the area tidy!!

a few people did come in, but they are swooped on as soon as they come in with the usual "can I help with anything" type thing, and the few that did come in when they needed a different size I asked the others if they wanted me to go get them for them, to be met each time with a resounding no!!

The day dragged so badly, it is frowned upon to chat to the other SAs (even if nobody else is in the store!!), and no sitting down (again, even with nobody in store), so its a really long, long day on your feet, with nothing to do!

Anyway, for this you get 6 pounds an hour!! , hence the swooping at the door, and the reluctance to let me help them with anything incase I wanteda piece of their bonus!! and the commission is sooo bad, I cannot tell you! (pm me if you really want to know, but it is just shocking ;))

I asked one of the others, if this was just a slow day, and he said "Honey, this is a busy day :wtf: ). Not one person came in after 4.30, but the store has to stay open until 6pm and nobody was allowed to leave, so you are farcically spacing clothes and straightening things, that nobody has moved in the first place, and standing (god forbid you sit down!) around. It was mind numbingly dull :sad:.

In the stockroom, gorgeous designer clothes are thrown in corners :sad: and are everywhere, its a bloody shambles, you just cannot believe how these clothes are stored, its incredible, you cannot find a thing!

Get back to the car, where my parking fee for the day was 20 quid!!! :biggrin: The irony is not lost on me!

On a full day, you need to get in at 9.30, work till 6pm and for this you get a 40 minute lunch break - god, just thinking about it, is making me visably sick :biggrin:

hmmm me thinks retail might not be for me ;)

Awww :sad:
I'm so sorry..god I cannot believe they make you stand?? why can't you sit???? makes no sense..
You are human beings and you do have the right to rest if no one is around :/

At least they could put nice looking chairs near the door so when someone enters you can just stand up right away to help them? :sad:

Sounds really tiring :/ but it might get better? *shrug* I hope it does.

Really do wish you the best of luck. and all in all you will be fine if you don't like the job, you did try ;)

Sorry, chloe-babe, the whole thing sounded ridiculous and so stuffy and what's with that not being able to talk to eachother when there was no customers:shrugs:!! What's going to work gonna be like if you can't have a laugh with your co-workers... Boredom is a real killer at work, the day gets soo long. Had to laugh at your parking fees, though, did you make any money at all that day?:lol::lol: (sorry)

Oh my...
I'm sorry your first day at work wasn't that much fun...
maybe you should start looking for one that you could be happy with~
Goodness, standing around all day from 9 to 6 can give you major varicose!
Goodluck! and I hope you find a wonderful job!!!

OMG you poor thing!! :wtf:

Are the clothes at least cool to look at?? :shame:

If I were in your neighborhood I'd at least come by and disturb all the clothes and chat with you :yes:

Hang in there, maybe it will pick up over the holidays!

Ahh - Chloebabe that stinks!! Sorry it wasn't what you hoped it would be - but at least you have had your first day back at work after 12 years!

Hope it improves - or you get a better and more enjoyable job!!:yes: