I sold my Paris Birkin! ;(

For what it is worth, you made the right choice, if the bag is not for you, there is no point in keeping it.

I had a Birkin I never used (long story, a present) in purple ostrich leather with palladium hardware, I hated the colour as it seemed more like puce to me and I loath ostrich leather, thought I sell it and put it out on a white sheet under the window (natural light) to take pictures from all corners, the phone rang, left the room, the new rescue Dobie literally ATE it (he even swallowed the key). While the money might have been nice, the bag just was never used, couldn't see myself using it, loved the design but hated the weight and how cumbersome it was, plus that awful colour and the ostrich leather.

Think about it this way, you got something back you can invest in something you will love and can pass on to your daughter, win! I had to pay for the vet taking x.rays of the beast (who I actually love very much) and then shift through his errr "offerings" for 3 days until the key reappeared and we could avoid further x-rays and a possible surgery....

I think you got the better deal!
This has to be the most expensive bowel movement in history.

OP, you gotta Marie Kondo this. Does the bag spark joy, or does the memory spark joy? I think it's the latter.

That wasn't me...was that @meowlett ? But I've had some hijinks!
I was on the phone and my Bernese mix was happily chewing her bone next to me (or so I thought). Hung up the phone and saw she had chewed up 1 shoe of a pair of Louboutins. I don’t even know if she realized it was a shoe or just thought it was a leather bone as she is totally blind and never destroys anything. I took the pair, threw them away and have never told DH. [emoji846]
I read this post and said aloud, "Ohh. Yes." You unearthed the repressed memory of my own dog chewing up my first classic black Louboutins that I wore for graduation 10 years ago. I remember asking myself, the back doesn't look TOO busted, right? No one will see if I wear wide leg pants!

Last edited:
I think what’s making you sad it’s letting go of a bag that was your first, you bought in Paris, etc. You didn’t sell those memories though; you’ll enjoy that Paris moment every time you tell the story, regardless of the bag still being with you or not. There’s nothing to be sad about.

You should be beyond happy that you’ve got a great Paris story*, you’re enjoying everyday the bag you been wanting for 10 years and money in your pocket to buy a dream diamond ring! Girl, what regret?
Agreed! Letting go of sentimental items can be a bummer but you're right, I will always have the memories. It made me sad seeing the bag online but I just wasn't 100% on board with it for a handful of reasons which is why I let it go. Thanks for sharing your experiences, putting things in perspective and letting me talk it out, ladies!

For what it is worth, you made the right choice, if the bag is not for you, there is no point in keeping it.

I had a Birkin I never used (long story, a present) in purple ostrich leather with palladium hardware, I hated the colour as it seemed more like puce to me and I loath ostrich leather, thought I sell it and put it out on a white sheet under the window (natural light) to take pictures from all corners, the phone rang, left the room, the new rescue Dobie literally ATE it (he even swallowed the key). While the money might have been nice, the bag just was never used, couldn't see myself using it, loved the design but hated the weight and how cumbersome it was, plus that awful colour and the ostrich leather.

Think about it this way, you got something back you can invest in something you will love and can pass on to your daughter, win! I had to pay for the vet taking x.rays of the beast (who I actually love very much) and then shift through his errr "offerings" for 3 days until the key reappeared and we could avoid further x-rays and a possible surgery....

I think you got the better deal!

Joining in because this is the best Dobe story! (I am a fan too.)

Well, it shows Harvey has good taste or certainly expensive taste. Maybe he sensed that you really didn't like it, negative vibes, so he would "help" out. :angel:

And some people look at me with an odd expression when I tell them my cat's blankie is cashmere....I don't see a problem with that, he likes his comfort. :biggrin:

Agreed! Letting go of sentimental items can be a bummer but you're right, I will always have the memories. It made me sad seeing the bag online but I just wasn't 100% on board with it for a handful of reasons which is why I let it go. Thanks for sharing your experiences, putting things in perspective and letting me talk it out, ladies!
You’re very welcome and happy birthday!
When you see that rock on your finger, I’m sure you’ll have no regrets about your decision. I bet it’ll spark a lot more joy than a bag sitting in your closet! (No pun intended)

Joining in because this is the best Dobe story! (I am a fan too.)

Well, it shows Harvey has good taste or certainly expensive taste. Maybe he sensed that you really didn't like it, negative vibes, so he would "help" out. :angel:

And some people look at me with an odd expression when I tell them my cat's blankie is cashmere....I don't see a problem with that, he likes his comfort. :biggrin:
Hahaha cats know their stuff, too; though they will never tell you to your face they didn’t like an expensive gift: you’ll just see them playing with the cardboard box instead of the gift :lol:

Reactions: Gabs007 and MiaT
Hahaha cats know their stuff, too; though they will never tell you to your face they didn’t like an expensive gift: you’ll just see them playing with the cardboard box instead of the gift :lol:

Actually, as a kitten mine only liked a Ferragamo shoe box, would ignore all others. He'd play it in, hide in it so he could pounce on unsuspecting toys nearby, and nap in it. I still have that box - torn apart, teeth marked (his not mine), three sides split and collapsed. He grew out of it in size but is still determined to sit in it. I don't have the heart to throw it out.

LilMonkey - personally you made the right decision. If your heart wasn't aching to keep the bag, then let it go. Something that sparkles on your finger won't wipe away the beautiful memories of the Paris trip. Overall a win win for you.

Actually, as a kitten mine only liked a Ferragamo shoe box, would ignore all others. He'd play it in, hide in it so he could pounce on unsuspecting toys nearby, and nap in it. I still have that box - torn apart, teeth marked (his not mine), three sides split and collapsed. He grew out of it in size but is still determined to sit in it. I don't have the heart to throw it out.

LilMonkey - personally you made the right decision. If your heart wasn't aching to keep the bag, then let it go. Something that sparkles on your finger won't wipe away the beautiful memories of the Paris trip. Overall a win win for you.
Too cute!
When it comes to boxes and cats their motto is:
‘Even if I don’t fit, I still sit’

If mine could squeeze his 16 lbs inside a Sephora box, I’m sure yours can fit inside a shoe box ;)

Too cute!
When it comes to boxes and cats their motto is:
‘Even if I don’t fit, I still sit’

If mine could squeeze his 16 lbs inside a Sephora box, I’m sure yours can fit inside a shoe box ;)

Indeed. He makes it fit. Yet his being able to "fit" in it in reality is like my trying to explain Hermès math to a non-believer.

Define "fit"?
DSC05636.jpeg
View attachment 4414521

Attachments

• IMG_4062.jpeg
    IMG_4062.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:

I have realised many years ago that if the colour is not what I want, I won't buy the birkin even it's offered. (past on a bamboo birkin before, I can't imagine it fits my wardrobe at all)
Red bag is tricky, super attractive in theory (and in our imagination), but a boring black bag is what I truely reach for.
Give the gold birkin to your daughter in 10 years, I'm sure she won't mind it's not red~
I hope you have a happy birthday!

I have realised many years ago that if the colour is not what I want, I won't buy the birkin even it's offered. (past on a bamboo birkin before, I can't imagine it fits my wardrobe at all)
Red bag is tricky, super attractive in theory (and in our imagination), but a boring black bag is what I truely reach for.
Give the gold birkin to your daughter in 10 years, I'm sure she won't mind it's not red~
I hope you have a happy birthday!

Over the years, on my minimalist journey of just keeping what I really like and use, I've been swayed by something to get home and have it remain unused unworn tags still on it. I pass it along. I still reach for the black one to use most often....

Attachments

• BD9A067D-2344-44F4-88D3-53774198FF89.jpeg
    BD9A067D-2344-44F4-88D3-53774198FF89.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 256
Last edited: