I sent a designer bag to the wrong buyer. HELP!

OK, this may be a long story. I will try and shorten it the best I can.

In December, two weeks before Christmas, I listed several designer bags for sale on eBay. Louis Vuitton and Marc Jacobs to name a few. In the same few days, I sold 6 bags, 3 to international buyers. I packaged all of my sales and printed my shipping labels through Paypal. I made a horrible mistake! For those of you sellers that print your labels through Paypal, you will understand the process for international mailing. There are four parts to a international shipping label. You put three inside a little plastic clear envelope and keep one for yourself. Well, I guess I put the three correct labels inside the package going to the UK. However, I put two of the correct labels inside the package going to a different location and one of the ones that went to the UK. I found my mistake out two weeks after the package was sent when my buyer in the different location didn't receive her bag. I immediately contacted the UK buyer and asked if she had received an additional package. She was very nice and said no, sorry she didn't. Well, tracking showed that two packages went through US customs for her. However, only one showed delivered. So, I assumed that the package was in customs some where and it would be sent back to me or to the right person. Meanwhile, I reimbursed the buyer. She was kind enough to wait 30 days to see if she got it.

So, during all of this, I knew my UK buyer was a reseller because she had many purchases along with private feedback. I did much investigating on the UK site. Comparing purchases she made to bags sold. My investigating paid off. I figured out her selling ID and have since been watching her buying and selling to confirm it was indeed her. So, on my watch list she went. Every week faithfully, I have watched her auctions. Yes, you guessed, she just listed my bag that she said she didn't get. How do I know it's mine? It's a rare color and the blemishes my bag had are exactly the same as hers. With the exception that she cleaned one interior mark. However, you can tell where she cleaned it because their is a faint stain there. I am 100% positive it's my bag!

I have not contacted her. I do not know what to say or do. Do I call eBay? (I am a Powerseller) Do I contact her and ask her why she lied to me and please send me my bag back? I thought maybe I would bid on it to win it and after I win it, confront her? Can I contact the police? She's in the UK. I am in the US.

BTW, she is a member of this forum. (not sure of her ID here)(she states that she is a member on her about "ME" page) She is a trusted seller of a couple of different designers. I did a search on her here and there are many different posts recommending her as a seller. I am also a trusted seller and a member of other Purse Forums. We both have over 1500, 100% positive, feedback ratings.

PLEASE HELP!!! I want to do this the correct way. I am so upset right now, I am afraid I will do something I shouldn't!

PS. I did not claim the full value of the bag so my buyer wouldn't have to pay customs/. (yes, stupid of me!!) So, I didn't file a claim with the Post Office. :hysteric:

Last edited:
I would tell her what you saw. Can you confirm it was delivered tehre. I would copy her listing, receipts etc. and let her know that you will be contacting the authorities if she does not send it back.

Perhaps you need to call ebay and explain the issue.. try to remain as calm

as you can until you get some clarity from ebay as to what you can and can't do..

have all your information and facts at hand so you can explain everything clearly

and calmly.. perhaps you can fax it over to ebay.. take 1 step at a time..

First, be POSITIVE that it is your bag. I think I would contact ebay and tell them what you posted here. If it is your bag, she is selling stolen merchandise and it now involves ebay because she is selling it on their site. Do you still have your pictures from your auction to back up your claim?

I think you've already given her a chance to tell you if she received the bag or not. Going back to her now and asking her about the bag won't give you any additional results.

Since she is a seller, she should have realized how much you lost with the bag disappearing.

Good luck and keep us posted!

I still have all of my pictures.

The problem with the signature is there is only one tracking number showing for her. I guess I could call the post office and see if there are two different times for her signature. Good idea! Thanks!

Wow....make sure you save a screen shot of her listing with all the pictures, in the event she pulls the listing & deletes the pics if she uses a photo service. This way you will have proof that it was your bag when you compare with your own pictures,or your own listing. I personally would not confront her. Go to Ebay use your Powerseller phone # and get a live one on the phone. I dont know what else to tell you:sad: Im sorry you are dealing with this nightmare.

Contacted eBay. They told me to contact the buyer and see what her reply was. If she didn't reply or still insisted she didn't receive it, I could report it as stolen and they would get involved. They asked me for her ID and item number. I told them I would give it to them if she didn't cooperate.

SO, GUESS WHAT? I just emailed her and she got right back to me. I told her I had proof of delivery. She said her sister got it and she just found out and didn't know how to tell me. Well, I guess selling it was a way to tell me, right? I do not care, she said she would return it to me. I just paid her to ship it back. I will await it's return and also watch to see if she pulls her eBay listing. Hopefully, she is telling me the truth!

I will keep you updated.

Thanks for all of your help!

I'm glad that you are getting your bag back, but I really don't think you should be out the money for shipping since she knowingly kept your bag.

Sad state of the world, that she knew you were looking for the bag - denies having it and then figures that the way out of the situation is to sell the bag AND MAKE MONEY ON A LIE!

Sad state of the world, that she knew you were looking for the bag - denies having it and then figures that the way out of the situation is to sell the bag AND MAKE MONEY ON A LIE!

I have to agree, Im sure that had you not been so diligent she would have sold it & stayed mum.Some integrity.

Personally & if you do not mind, I would love to have her id so I can not only block her but avoid buying from her. I dont mind PMs;)

You are a class act...me I would have given Ebay her id & item number as soon as they asked for it. Great to hear that you will get your bag back:smile:

Thank you all for your kind words. I do believe she is telling me the truth. Her feedback is impeccable and I do not wish to reveal her ID. If she doesn't follow through on her promise and send it back to me, I of course then will have a different feeling about her. I try to see the best in people. She immediately got back to me and just ended her listing.