I really need some advice on purchasing my first Mulberry bag

If you've got a PPW, I'd say go for a Bays, and use a bag liner with a stiff base. I don't have one, but a friend of mine does, and I doubt the leather on an Alexa would be strong enough to take the weight. HTH!

Just noticed Ditzyfordaria said the same thing!

Last edited:
I cannot for the life of me imagine fishing in my bag for a firearm. Seems to me an occasion where I'm pulling a gun time would be of the essence! I takes me 10 minutes to find my keys! ;)

I'm a Bays fan, but with two kids I think you want a messenger bag. (But a gun is going to weigh down the Alexa big time. The straps are pretty narrow, it might be uncomfortable.)

I cannot for the life of me imagine fishing in my bag for a firearm. Seems to me an occasion where I'm pulling a gun time would be of the essence! I takes me 10 minutes to find my keys! ;)

I'm a Bays fan, but with two kids I think you want a messenger bag. (But a gun is going to weigh down the Alexa big time. The straps are pretty narrow, it might be uncomfortable.)

I know, it sounds ridiculous, right? But I live and work in law enforcement in a city that has been either the top or in the top 3 of the most dangerous cities in the United States for years now. I usually have my kids with me and the position I work in now, I hear about and log all the major crimes that occur in the entire city all day long. If anyone ever snuck up on me or caught me off guard, I wouldn't be able to do anything about it no matter what purse I carry but mostly I carry it in case I do see it coming. Robbery and carjackings are common here. Sad, huh? :huh:

We have been trying to move for 3 years but the US housing market is so bad, we haven't been able to sell our newly remodeled home!

I am very new to Mulberry. Never even viewed one in person but I know I must have one! I have been looking for a new bag for a month now and after seeing them, I know that this is it! I am however very nervous about purchasing one. I have honestly never spent over $300 for a bag so this is very new to me. Whatever I purchase, I need to be able to carry for at least 2 years.

I am trying to decide between:

1) a black natural leather Bayswater that I can get for abotu $700 US from a private seller

2) an oversized Oak Alexa for $800 US from a private seller

or

3) a black mini leopard patent Alexa (I love this bag sooo much but I would be purchasing at full retail price and not sure if this bag would hold up like the other leathers or if it will be too trendy to carry for a long time)

What advice can you all give me? I usually carry: a wallet, eyeglass case, lotion, hand sanitizer (small size), pocket calendar, and being in law enforcement, sometimes my off-duty weapon.

I have two small children and love the long strap that the Alexa offers so I may carry it on my shoulder but have heard bad things about the quality so I am unsure.

Any advice is really, truly appreciated! Thank you!

Ok, I am going to throw a right spanner in the works here!!!! If you like the bays and the Alexa but have issues with the size of the Bays and the sturdiness of the Alexa..............

What about the New Bayswater Messenger that was mentioned in an earlier link. There is also a small bays with the shoulder strap.:graucho:

Not sure when they will be available though. Here is the link

http://twitpic.com/2p7qp2

If you look back on the links you will see the threads about it.:smile:

Hi! Yes, that's a first =) Completely understand why you're carrying it, two different worlds it seems - that would never happen in Norway :P

Agree with what's been said. The Alexas might be out because of the weight you carry, a messenger would be most practical though :P

Would you be interested in Mitzy, Antony (regular and large), Seth, e/w messenger, Barnaby or Brynmore?

I know, it sounds ridiculous, right? But I live and work in law enforcement in a city that has been either the top or in the top 3 of the most dangerous cities in the United States for years now. I usually have my kids with me and the position I work in now, I hear about and log all the major crimes that occur in the entire city all day long. If anyone ever snuck up on me or caught me off guard, I wouldn't be able to do anything about it no matter what purse I carry but mostly I carry it in case I do see it coming. Robbery and carjackings are common here. Sad, huh? :huh:

We have been trying to move for 3 years but the US housing market is so bad, we haven't been able to sell our newly remodeled home!

Errr...you did see 'Washington DC' in my profile, right? We're number one!

Stop ladies!!!!! I love visiting the USA and you are giving me cities to cross of my list of places to visit!!!!!!! ( I have no desire to go to Detroit however. Apologies if Anyones from Detroit, just not that interested in car factories). Heading to Chicago soon so hope that's not to high on this list!!!!

Saint Louis, Missouri.

Oh, I am sorry about airing all our dirty laundry here ;) There are still thousands of wonderful places to visit in the US! Chicago is one of my favorites, and my bestfriend lives there! Many still think my city is the best but I guess because I see a different side of it, I am a bit jaded.