Workplace I really need advice.

ElleT

Dec 9, 2008
Hey everyone.

I am 28 years old and have 3 young children. I recently applied for an online college. And got accepted. I haven't seriously been going to college in the past, I tried but didn't even finish my first semester due to stress and financial difficulties caring for us.

My question now is about school. Is a 4 year degree really important for me to get. i honestly don't know. I hate school, especialy knowing that I'm a single mother of 3 kids and they come first. That's why I was thinking of doing online school. I can study from home while they are asleep etc. I also don't have a job right now, I'm looking. Life is hard. If I went to school this fall, i do qualify for financial aid, but would have to accept stafford loans as well. I would have money left over to pay rent and provide for us. At least a few thousands every semester. I have been thru a lot. So please be nice, i'm just asking for honest advise of what you think. Should I just find full time job or should I get into school debt and just go to school? I would be majoring in computer technology. And for the most part you don't need a degree in that but some certificates in that field is enough i was told by professionals. Please tell me what you think. It's not easy to find a flexible job, as i have to take and pick up my children from school.

Thank you for your time.

Could I ask what type of school? Was it like a University of Phoenix or similar? I'm not a fan of those types of for-profit schools. They're very expensive and don't have the reputation of "regular" schools.

Is it possible for you to look into local community colleges to get an associate's degree first and then transfer to a 4-year college?

Hi Lori,

It's the University of Maryland University College. You are right, it is more expensive than a community college which I was at first. I just can't deal with th stress being late to pick up my children from school, If I am 10 minutes late they think I have dissapeared forever which is heartbreaking to know his is how they feel. So I must be at their school on time and one way to make sure of that is if I don't have to worry about being in class and getting out on time, traffic etc...

There's a middle ground in between univ of Phoenix and a traditional, onsite 4 year program.

I would look into a public university (not sure where you are, but where I live there's rutgers, temple, penn state), etc. most offer online classes for at least some of your curriculum, ESP anything comp sci or it related. Take a class or two at a time, online if you can.

If a 4 year program sounds like too much at first, try the community college route. It's usually cheaper and most standard credits will transfer.

Sadly, a degree or A TON of experience in lieu of a degree are what the majority of employers look for.

Have you thought about what you want to do? Do you really love computer science? There are some professions that are so in need of people they will often cover a portion of schooling needed (like nurses, inner city teachers, etc).

If you're going to bust your butt to raise
your kids while going to college, best make sure you love what you're going for. Otherwise, it'll be that much harder to stay in class.

Please please please do not go the for profit online school route. Plenty of community colleges cater to students who have children and lives outside of school.

don't go to a for-profit school. it's very expensive and sometimes, credits don't transfer over.

how about signing up for a couple of classes at a community college instead? you don't have to go full time - go when your kids are in school.

most people hate school because they haven't found a subject they enjoy. once you do, usually understanding and good grades follow.

so i think your first step is to figure out what you enjoy. then see if people have found a way to make a living in that field. then figure out a path towards doing the same thing.

good luck!

I also wouldn't recommend a strictly-online for-profit school. I think just taking a couple of classes at community college while your kids are at school would be a good idea for right now. Since you didn't finish college before, you probably still have some general education classes to take, so that'll buy you some time before you figure out what you really want to do (you may find that computer science really is what you want).

I wish you the best. Being a single mom and a college student isn't easy, but it can be done. Maybe you can find another woman at school in the same situation who'd be willing to help you out? Having a mentor really helps.

UMUC is not a for-profit school - they are a public university and are associated with the University System of Maryland (which also includes UMD, etc). I went to UMD, College Park, so I am aware of UMUC. I also had a couple of friends that ended up getting their MBA there because it was easiest with children, full-time work, etc. There are a lot of online classes, but you can go to classes in person as well. The campus was REALLY close to UMD, down the street. I've been told they will work with you regarding scheduling, etc and there are a TON of part time students with families and full time jobs.

That being said, I'm not sure a UMUC degree will help propel you. I'm not sure their brand or programs are well known, but if you are just looking to get a degree, this may help. Are you in the DC/MD/VA area, OP? If so, the degree may get you further here than in a different area.

Oh, just thought of something too: if you receive credits through UMUC, I'm almost positive they will transfer to any other school within the University System of Maryland, so you could always start out at UMUC and then transfer to College Park or another USM school and then actually get your degree from a traditional university.

Terps, I can tell you went to MD lol.
Yes I am in Baltimore. The Campus isn't far from me and I love it. My sister went to College park too. And that's what I'm trying to avoid. The security of my kids, their well being is first, and in between that I'm trying to get a degree. So I think I will just stick with it, it's a very good school around here and like Terps08 said, it is excellent for busy parents.

I agree with everyone else saying no to for-profit schools. I've read a lot about them and it seems it's a quick route to high debt, and their degrees really don't pay off.

That being said, if what terps says is right and it's in the same line as UMD, it sounds a lot better. I know in my city, our community college has a LOT of on-line classes. Did you ever look into availability of online courses at the community college you used to attend?

I maybe wouldn't go full time right off the bat...you can take 1-2 classes to start off with and get a feel of the course load, and work full time to build your resume and network at the same time.

A lot of jobs in the professional world won't even glance at your resume if you don't have a 4-year degree. Just depends what you want to do long-term. There are many positions where you can work yourself up if you're driven and passionate, and be making $50-60k even with just a high school diploma.

Hey everyone.

I am 28 years old and have 3 young children. I recently applied for an online college. And got accepted. I haven't seriously been going to college in the past, I tried but didn't even finish my first semester due to stress and financial difficulties caring for us.

My question now is about school. Is a 4 year degree really important for me to get. i honestly don't know. I hate school, especialy knowing that I'm a single mother of 3 kids and they come first. That's why I was thinking of doing online school. I can study from home while they are asleep etc. I also don't have a job right now, I'm looking. Life is hard. If I went to school this fall, i do qualify for financial aid, but would have to accept stafford loans as well. I would have money left over to pay rent and provide for us. At least a few thousands every semester. I have been thru a lot. So please be nice, i'm just asking for honest advise of what you think. Should I just find full time job or should I get into school debt and just go to school? I would be majoring in computer technology. And for the most part you don't need a degree in that but some certificates in that field is enough i was told by professionals. Please tell me what you think. It's not easy to find a flexible job, as i have to take and pick up my children from school.

Thank you for your time.

It depends on what kind of a career you want to pursue. I think you need to think about your passion and talent before jumping into anything. I know it sounds impractical as you have 3 young kids to care for, but I strongly urge you to really think about something you are actually interested in and good at.

Like other people have already mentioned, stay away from for-profit online schools. The degrees they offer may not even be accredited. I would urge you to go back to the community college, make an appointment with a guidance counselor and see if you can enroll in online classes only for the time being.

Thank you everyone for all the advice. I think for now I will stick with the online school at UMUC and see how it will go the first semester. I can always go back to community college after.
And thank you Swanky for your comment. It makes sense.

^^terps08 is right.... it's a "real" school and I can tell you their graduates are completely employable (of course, depends on the career track!). I have two friends who have UMUC degrees and they are gainfully employed.

I am VP at my company and make hiring decisions all of the time. Having a college degree is something I look for on a resume before I do anything else.

Good luck to you!

UMUC is not a for-profit school - they are a public university and are associated with the University System of Maryland (which also includes UMD, etc). I went to UMD, College Park, so I am aware of UMUC. I also had a couple of friends that ended up getting their MBA there because it was easiest with children, full-time work, etc. There are a lot of online classes, but you can go to classes in person as well. The campus was REALLY close to UMD, down the street. I've been told they will work with you regarding scheduling, etc and there are a TON of part time students with families and full time jobs.

That being said, I'm not sure a UMUC degree will help propel you. I'm not sure their brand or programs are well known, but if you are just looking to get a degree, this may help. Are you in the DC/MD/VA area, OP? If so, the degree may get you further here than in a different area.

Oh, just thought of something too: if you receive credits through UMUC, I'm almost positive they will transfer to any other school within the University System of Maryland, so you could always start out at UMUC and then transfer to College Park or another USM school and then actually get your degree from a traditional university.

:tup:

^^terps08 is right.... it's a "real" school and I can tell you their graduates are completely employable (of course, depends on the career track!). I have two friends who have UMUC degrees and they are gainfully employed.

I am VP at my company and make hiring decisions all of the time. Having a college degree is something I look for on a resume before I do anything else.

Good luck to you!

:yes: seems when people hear the word "online" they automatically look down on the school. Many Universities that have been around for a very long time are beginning to offer online courses to compete with these new schools that are popping up.

OP I say go for it, but watch those loans they can pile up fast. Only take what you need to pay for tuition and books. Try to work part-time and pay your rent that way if possible. Remember loans have to be paid back with interest.