I put my Carlos Falchi Fatto a Mano in the washing machine.

How did it go?

Well...

Not completely good, but not completely bad so I haven't wanted to venture back to this conversation.

It is super clean and smells great like fresh linen (it was pretty dingy and had a stank before). I dried it for 2 days with rolled towels in it to restore the shape (worked great) and left it in a warm room no where near a heat source or blowing fan (I keep the room warm with a Dyson heating fan, but they were no where near each other).

However, the leather is not as buttery as it was. It is still very nice, but it did lose a certain something. I treated it several times during the drying process with Bickmore 4, and I thought it was going to be fine until it was completely dry. Since the Bick 4 didn't quite do it, I ordered some Apple Leather Care which I haven't used yet.

My teenage daughter has since taken complete possession of it, but I do want to treat it again with Apple to see if I can get back that super buttery touch.

If anyone has another product suggestion, I am all ears.

I am also curious if the element of time and touch will help it return to its original feel.

The other option I toyed with was taping off the leather and using foaming furniture cleaner. I don't know if that would have been better or worse.

Was it a mistake? I don't know. Something had to be done with it. I was afraid to take it to a dry cleaner. I took a stab and would say I am 80% satisfied.

Well...

Not completely good, but not completely bad so I haven't wanted to venture back to this conversation.

It is super clean and smells great like fresh linen (it was pretty dingy and had a stank before). I dried it for 2 days with rolled towels in it to restore the shape (worked great) and left it in a warm room no where near a heat source or blowing fan (I keep the room warm with a Dyson heating fan, but they were no where near each other).

However, the leather is not as buttery as it was. It is still very nice, but it did lose a certain something. I treated it several times during the drying process with Bickmore 4, and I thought it was going to be fine until it was completely dry. Since the Bick 4 didn't quite do it, I ordered some Apple Leather Care which I haven't used yet.

My teenage daughter has since taken complete possession of it, but I do want to treat it again with Apple to see if I can get back that super buttery touch.

If anyone has another product suggestion, I am all ears.

I am also curious if the element of time and touch will help it return to its original feel.

The other option I toyed with was taping off the leather and using foaming furniture cleaner. I don't know if that would have been better or worse.

Was it a mistake? I don't know. Something had to be done with it. I was afraid to take it to a dry cleaner. I took a stab and would say I am 80% satisfied.

Thanks for the update! I am just getting into rehabbing and am trying to learn as much as fast as I can...I never would have thought to put a purse through a wash cycle a few months ago!! I hope you find the right product to get the leather back to your liking!

Thanks for the update! I am just getting into rehabbing and am trying to learn as much as fast as I can...I never would have thought to put a purse through a wash cycle a few months ago!! I hope you find the right product to get the leather back to your liking!
What are you currently working on? About to work on? Just finished working on? (Pick one!).

I've got a Gucci Soho Disco that I've cleaned up and it had a lot of cleaning to get through. Now I'm wondering if I leave good enough alone, try leather paint on it, or send it in with my local cobbler for paint touch up.

FYI, I leather painted (Angelus) a BV lambskin that turned out great. The lambskin does feel a tiny bit different, but not much. And the bag was a lost cause so it was worth giving it a try. I love it and use it all the time now.

I'd never *recommend* doing it because it is not for the faint of heart and who knows if you'll be happy with the outcome, but if you have something that is utterly ruined, give it a try. My BV has a new life.

Reactions: PACNWPurseLover
So far I have been working on vintage Coach purses...and touching up other leather purses. I have sold a few things on Ebay, and hope to sell more. I like the idea of saving poor purses from gloom and doom, and finding someone who will love them. :smile:

I have yet to do a complete dunk, but that is coming soon. I have a couple of prospects in the coffers, just need the right inspiration. I also recently moved into a home with much better space to do these type of projects (Yay!), however, still have a lot of unpacking and situating to do (Boo! LOL....)

I have collected a fair number of purses, now that I think of it - mostly from local Goodwills - that need some minor love, too. Cleaning, and conditioning - finding a replacement strap - hopefully getting out ink stains. I am all ears for tips about getting ink stains out, and have been stalking some of the other forums on TPF that cover rehab. So much to learn!! So much fun and satisfaction. :smile:

Great! Fun! If you sell them after having washed or dyed them, be sure to state that. I'm sure you've thought of that, but I just thought I'd put it out there.

I have a bottle of The Laundress that I use on my silk scarves and other delicates. That's what I used on the Falchi. Not 100% sure how I feel about it and don't think I'll wash another leather piece, but shout out to The Laundress. I smells so clean and devine.

FYI, you probably know, Coach has its own fabric cleaner. It's probably not necessary, but I used to use it when I had a million Coach bags.I tossed it in as a freebie the when I sold my last fabric Coach.

Reactions: PACNWPurseLover