I put a 19yr old Louis Vuitton Monogram Alma PM in the washer and dryer...

SaavyShopper

Dec 1, 2013
Please accept my apologies in advance for the long post.

I purchased a much abused 19 year old pre-loved Alma PM for avery low cost. Since it did not cost me much, I decided to try cleaning it myself before sending it off to Louis Vuitton for repair. Here are the steps I took in an attempt to rescue my pre-loved Alma PM.
  • First, let me start off by saying, this bag was very dirty and had many stains, so I did not feel comfortable washing it in my tub or bathroom sink. Therefore, I put the Alma in a lingerie bag and went to the Laundromat. I placed the Alma, its dust bag and two old towels (towels were used as a buffer to prevent damage during the spin cycles) in the machine, added 1/4 cup of Murphy's Oil Soap and Pine-Sol and selected the permanent press wash cycle.
  • After the wash was complete, most of the stains were gone or barely noticeable and I now had a clean and germ/odor free bag. I did not want to leave the leather saturated with water for too long, so I placed the towels and the Alma, which I placed inside its dust bag, in the dryer. I used the permanent press cycle and kept the bag in the dryer until the leather felt damp, but not soaking wet. Fearful that the canvas might melt (:nuts:) or the leather would dry and crumble, I checked the bag every 5 minutes to make sure the canvas everything was OK. I only kept the bag in the dryer for a total of 15 minutes.
  • I let the bag air dry overnight before applying leather conditioner, moisturizer and gently buffing the leather to a shine.
  • I also cleaned the lock and key because they were severely tarnished. I used Bar Keepers Friend to clean the lock and keys. When I compared the cleaned lock to another lock, I noticed the color was not as vibrant. I think the lock for the Alma is pure brass vs. the coated brass ones they are now making.
Overall, I am pleased with the results and happy that I did not destroy the bag. I look forward to using my new-to-me Alma. Hopefully, I'll get a few months or year of usage before I need to have the leather replaced.

Thanks for letting me share this experience with you.

Warning: I am not suggesting you launder your Louis Vuitton handbag; I am just sharing my experience. I will update this post in a few weeks to advise if I notice any issues with the canvas or leather.

Attachments

• IMG_00000253_rev.jpg
    IMG_00000253_rev.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 5,516
Last edited:
Wow. It looks pretty good. I would haved loved to see a before and after photo.

I was disappointed that I didn't capture the filth to show before and after pictures. I realized the missed opportunity while watching how dirty the water was during the initial wash cycle. If I attempt this craziness again, I will be sure to capture before and after pictures.