I need to buy furniture..fast

lotusflwr

Dec 11, 2007
does anyone have recommendations for stores that have a quick turnaround time on furniture delivery? I am relocating on short notice and do not want to have to sit on my living room floor for 6-8 weeks while I wait for a sofa to be delivered.

So far I've been able to think of Ikea and Crate & Barrel. It would also be highly preferable if these places were able to deliver themselves as I don't think there is any way I could stuff a 3 seat sofa into my car for obvious reasons. My price range is mid but I'd still like good quality (read: comfortable). Ikea sofas I looked at haven't been particularly comfy so I'm leaning away from them...

TIA!

I think the two you mentioned (Ikea and Crate and Barrell) are your best bets. I don't know of any other major national furniture stores. Your best bet would be to call up places that have furniture u like in your area n see if they can deliver

West Elm, Pottery Barn, Bo Concept. Any local place.

Rent a uHaul, round up some friends, pay them in beer and pizza and deliver it all yourself.

Some stores like Value City & the Room Store have a warehouse that allows you to pick up. I'd do like Charles suggested and get a U-haul - for one day rental it's about $40 (with all taxes).

Also, Crate & Barrel have outlets, do you live near one? You can cash & carry with them.

Ikea (if you go in-store), has quick delivery time. I purchased something on a Saturday, it was delivered Monday.

Most stores locally where I live don't have a branch in the state I am moving to - and no delivery across state lines. So can't do that because I'd need to hire movers..uhaul is way too much hassle. I have no idea how to drive something as big as that. =\

Thanks for the suggestions!!

Most stores locally where I live don't have a branch in the state I am moving to -

Understood.

But once you get to your new place, go to the local stores and they'll probably deliver the next business day. You may be without furniture for a few days, but it will be a lot less stress than trying to arrange delivery ahead of time on items you haven't seen in person. Furniture is something you really have to touch and feel or sit on before you buy.

Do you have to travel there in advance to handle anything else like the lease or job orientation? If so, shop then and schedule delivery.

Understood.

But once you get to your new place, go to the local stores and they'll probably deliver the next business day. You may be without furniture for a few days, but it will be a lot less stress than trying to arrange delivery ahead of time on items you haven't seen in person. Furniture is something you really have to touch and feel or sit on before you buy.

Do you have to travel there in advance to handle anything else like the lease or job orientation? If so, shop then and schedule delivery.

Definitely agree with you that you need to see furniture in person & test it out. That's actually what I planned to do. That's why I'm looking for national chain stores like Ikea or Crate & Barrel. :smile:

CB II (Crate and Barrel's "cheaper" line) also delivers and has pretty nice stuff, more reasonably priced than the parent store. When my sister moved, she got a few things from Walmart, of all places--they deliver too.
I would recommend against West Elm--apparently the delivery fee they charge is ridiculous.