I need some help - Returns Request

Chunky1701

Jul 22, 2014
Hi all, sorry I really need some help tonight. I sold yesterday a brand new Mulberry Bag that was purchased directly from Mulberry - was never used (in fact, apart from inspection on arrival - never left the carrier bag). It was sold with all accessories and all protective covers in place on it and I included the receipt as well - purchased in Feb this year.

The buyer, has received it this morning - they want to return it this evening. They say it's not as described. Bag lock/clasp has scratches on it. She's uploaded photos - all the lock and clasp still have the protective packaging on it. I explain this nicely - she needs to remove it, it's there to protect these pieces when the bag is in transit (these are put on by Mulberry). She's got pretty **bleep**py about it quickly - keeps saying she's not going back and forth on it etc, etc - it's damaged, not as described etc, etc.

I paid nearly £30 to ship this with RM SD - it was heavily packed and boxed - I spent ages on it - every aspect of the bag including the clasp/lock was inspected before packing. I've asked her nicely to take the protective wrappers off and retake the photos and upload them to the case - I've had no response.

Where do I stand here - I am pretty annoyed that not only did it cost me that to send it, I am now expected to pay another nearly £30 to get it back - what happens if when it arrives there's nothing wrong with it? I would take it back, but don't see why I should have to pay for it since she's clearly just not loving the bag. What about the fees I paid with Paypal on a £615.00 bag?

Have I got any chance at all of arguing this case in what is clearly a change of mind purchase?

I need advice - I've had a really bad day and this is the icing on the cake for me

Thanks everyone for your support! I was sooo relieved as this would have been a large chunk of money out of my own pocket. Now with Paypal (in the UK anyway), when you do refunds - you are no longer refunded the original fee for receiving the payment. So in this case, I would have lost £18.41 on this if I had to refund - so, the 2 lots of postage and the paypal fee for receiving the payment. Worth bearing in mind for us all xxx hugs to you all and stay safe everyone xxx

Thanks everyone for your support! I was sooo relieved as this would have been a large chunk of money out of my own pocket. Now with Paypal (in the UK anyway), when you do refunds - you are no longer refunded the original fee for receiving the payment. So in this case, I would have lost £18.41 on this if I had to refund - so, the 2 lots of postage and the paypal fee for receiving the payment. Worth bearing in mind for us all xxx hugs to you all and stay safe everyone xxx
That's true for us in the US too.

Reactions: Chunky1701
That's true for us in the US too.
It's such a large amount of money. I really wish ebay would sort out their returns process so it is much fairer to both parties - fine, if it's damaged, the buyer should be made to show this in cases with supporting evidence ie. photos. But if they cannot, it should not be the case well we'll refund anyway...it's just such a lame approach!

Reactions: whateve
It's such a large amount of money. I really wish ebay would sort out their returns process so it is much fairer to both parties - fine, if it's damaged, the buyer should be made to show this in cases with supporting evidence ie. photos. But if they cannot, it should not be the case well we'll refund anyway...it's just such a lame approach!
It is lame and upsetting. Ebay doesn't care about small sellers. They allow large sellers who accept managed returns to keep a portion of the refund if they determine the return arrived back with damaged. This is the carrot they offered these large sellers to force them to offer free returns for any reason, and we've already seen sellers abuse it. I think ebay realized how much money it was costing in having each case looked at by an employee and decided it was cheaper to just have a blanket policy that favored buyers. I used to work tangentially for a health insurance company. When the claims adjudicators went on strike, they set their computer system to approve all claims. Even with possibly paying fraudulent claims, it was cheaper to do it that way.

I'm glad this worked out for you.

Although your case has been resolved, I have a few comments. (Other lurkers may benefit from the info):
1. Many buyers are savvy (and not in a good way) enough to know that if they file SNAD (even if an item is exactly as described) in a remorse case, they don't have to pay return shipping; that's on the seller.
2. Unfortunately, ebay has made it so sellers must accept SNAD returns, even if the item is ultimately returned and not snad.
3. If seller insists on no return and buyer escalates for an ebay resolution, there are 2 possibilities in how ebay will handle it. They will definitely decide in the buyer's favor by either taking the money from seller to pay for return shipping label or buyer will (often) be told to keep the item since the seller doesn't want it back and will also get a refund. Additionally, seller's ebay dashboard will get dinged because seller made ebay step in
4. The only "recourse" for the seller when it comes to fraudulent SNAD cases is to "report the buyer" on the feedback page. (When you go to the "leave feedback" page, instead of leaving feedback, click on the "report buyer" button. If there are enough reports on the same buyer, ebay may suspend the buyer.
Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 11.17.09 AM.png