Tech I need satellite radio info please....

Jun 14, 2006
Does anyone have any info they can share? I had a loaner car today that had this in the car. I loved it so much that I now want to install one in my car but I know nothing.

What receiver is good?
What service do you subscribe too?

Any info would help, I an on CNET and there is so much info its only confusing me LOL!

Thanks in Advance:smile:

i think my parents have xm radio??? not entirely sure... you would think i woudl know since i bought them the receiver for it. but they love it. i bought theirs yeeaaars ago through a black friday deal where the receiver was like $5 after rebate or maybe even free. still kicking myself for not buying one for myself!

I have sirius radio and I love it. I bought the system at best buy for 48.99 then it was 100.00 to install it, but that's because I have a chevy and they needed extra parts to install it. The reception is wonderful, I can go anywhere in the US or Canada and have service. The service for me is 12.99 a month and I get over 150 channels. They seriously have every type of music covered and then some. I have the Sirius all included package, which has all the sirius stations but none of the XM stations, but with 150 channels I really can't tell if I am missing anything. Also, there are no commercials unless you would listen to like Howard Stern.

My last car had a factory installed xm radio and I loved it. My new car doesn't so I got the xm skydock and have been really happy with it. It uses my ipod touch as the radio (through my car speakers) so the added bonus is I can also play my ipod in my car. It also works with iphones. I also have the ipod xm app so I can listen to xm radio through my ipod at home. XM and Sirius are the same company now so it hardly matters between the 2 I don't think- I just stayed with xm because I already had it.

^Oh I have an itouch and saw that dock thingie on Best Buy, so it really works well?? I would love to be able to use my itouch in the house and listen to channels too. So in getting that XM app it gives you full access to all the channels? Are there any downsides to the dock? Did you install it yourself? I am not sure what equipment to get.

I am confused between XM Sirius being one company too. I had all the channels today, so what is the difference between companies? Who would you sign up with?

Thanks so much everyone, I am so confused LOL! :wacko:

Yeah, it's kind of odd that they're all under one roof, yet offer different stations. I just went on the website, looked at their channel lineup and decided what fit me better. I got Sirius.
What kind of car do you have? It might have a factory option that's disabled. I know with my Audi, my stereo had the option, but I was lacking the Sirius tuner box. I hopped on eBay and bought one for about 120 bucks, found out where to plug it in (for me, it was in the trunk on the drivers side behind the paneling), called up Sirius to activate, and voila...sat radio through my stock stereo.

The thing that confused me is most channels are on both lineups, like Howard and Martha. I just want the news channels, above 2, and Oprah.

I have a 2003 Mercedes so I do not have any built in features for it. I guess I can go in to Best Buy and have someone show me the options. UGH! LOL

Thanks Charles :tup:

I've been really happy with my skydock. My husband installed it so I don't know what it entailed but I know it hardly took any time to do. It's also supposed to be easy to move to different cars. The downside compared with my old factory installed radio is that it's played through an FM station so you have to find one that doesn't get reception in your area so you don't get radio bleed through. Then when you travel you have to find another station if you start getting bleed through. That part kind of sucks but I'd think it would be like that with any of them that are played through your radio. Other than that I love it.

eta: Like Charles already said there are a handful of stations that are either xm or sirius and you can also get a premium package so you get all of them with either.

The thing that confused me is most channels are on both lineups, like Howard and Martha. I just want the news channels, above 2, and Oprah.

I have a 2003 Mercedes so I do not have any built in features for it. I guess I can go in to Best Buy and have someone show me the options. UGH! LOL

Thanks Charles :tup:

What model MB?? And what you're saying is there's no "SAT" option or button on your stock radio?

Another option would be to install a new head unit with a built in satellite option. It will cost more, but sound better and be more integrated into the car as opposed to having a separate unit stuck somewhere on your dash.

I am no help (my car came with XM/Sirius already installed) but I LOVE IT!!!!!
The only downside is the XM charges extra to listen online, which is what I would when I'm at work. Maybe I need to get an Iphone so I can listen anywhere. :smile:

Enjoy!

Before anyone signs up long term (like we did :O) Please read what is going on with them by Goggling. April is a critical month for this business.
You'll especially want this info if you own their stock.

Before anyone signs up long term (like we did :O) Please read what is going on with them by Goggling. April is a critical month for this business.
You'll especially want this info if you own their stock.

Im a terrible googler can you please explain? My truck has XM and Im not sure what the car I just bought has, it has the SAT button on the stereo and I was hoping for sirius but I havent looked into it yet

What model MB?? And what you're saying is there's no "SAT" option or button on your stock radio?

Another option would be to install a new head unit with a built in satellite option. It will cost more, but sound better and be more integrated into the car as opposed to having a separate unit stuck somewhere on your dash.

I have an E500, and no no SAT option. I have an integrated phone option but no SAT.

I might call the dealer and see what they say. I doubt I would install a new unit it would probably be a ton of $. I like the idea of being able to move it to another vehicle. Would be handy to put in the family truckster for road trips LOL.

I have sirius radio and I love it. I bought the system at best buy for 48.99 then it was 100.00 to install it, but that's because I have a chevy and they needed extra parts to install it. The reception is wonderful, I can go anywhere in the US or Canada and have service. The service for me is 12.99 a month and I get over 150 channels. They seriously have every type of music covered and then some. I have the Sirius all included package, which has all the sirius stations but none of the XM stations, but with 150 channels I really can't tell if I am missing anything. Also, there are no commercials unless you would listen to like Howard Stern.

I have Sirius as well, it comes as a standard feature in my new car with free subscription (part of my contract).

I don't use it much because I have another standard feature that is FOC as well and that feature is called SYNC. With SYNC, I play my music from ipods, mini hard drive (I have a 500G one in my car too with close to 2000 songs) and even can bluetooth stereo music right from my phones sources... not to mention use SYNC as my hands free voice command for the phone.

While Sirius is great radio, SYNC is my awesome can't live without cool gadget!