I need hugs, ladies...

I already did. He was making excuses and was pointing the blame to my MIL. He does this all the time. He knows he's guilty of it. All I can make out of what he said was that I shouldn't question if they like me because they do. But this doesn't answer my question, right? Why wouldn't they acknowledge me? I'm not too worried about myself.. It's my parents reaction that worries me. What will they think?

That is what I would be worried about, too. My parents and in-laws do not get together very often and never talk otherwise...I had had some trouble in the past with both my FIL and MIL and I talked to my Mom who felt bad for me, but who decided to stay out of it, only because she knew it would make it worse. I am so sorry that this is happening to you!! You can never avoid those people and you don't want to make it an issue between you and your spouse (as hard as that is going to be, because at least for me, I wanted him to stand up for me, I am his wife!) so I do hope that you get things worked out, and I am afraid that that may not happen. If you need anything, do not be afraid to PM me...again, I wish you the best of luck!!

btw how are you doing with having them around you? hope you are coping ok and have enough personal space. it sounds like they are staying with you.

*hugs*:flowers::heart:

My SIL is keeping me company. I'm trying hard not to show my disappointment but I doubt I'm doing a good job. DH is uneasy but tries to lighten the atmosphere by being his funny self. My FIL is always in the guestroom.... I guess he's just guilty. :shrugs:

MAGs, this is such ********!!! Big hug for you! Asian families can be so narrow-minded, it kills me. You are such a sweetheart and a true friend on this board, and if you are no less in person, then your in-laws are bigoted nutjobs. I hope they see the light! In the meantime, we're here for you!

HUGS

I'm so sorry about that... but ya, my SO's parents do not acknowledge me either..
especially the dad

I'm so sorry you are dealing with that too... are you sure that your SIL is telling you the truth though

maybe she is trying to stir up trouble?

SIL says it's because I'm not Chinese.. it's that BS culture thing again!:cursing:

Now it all makes sense why his mom's friends are still doing that matchmaking crap. I think it's Chinese tradition... The parents pick who you'll marry. It's BS if you ask me.

Where is he from?? I'm Chinese too and in our country, there's no such thing as matchmaking UNLESS you cant get a partner until a certain age.....then the parents will get paranoid..

Honestly, like what my husband always say.
"Are you married to me or my parents?"

I wouldnt care for their opinion now. As long as I have my husband and we are happy together, nothing more matters.. I have smiliar problem too.

My MIL is a very nice person, but deep down our heart ( my friends and I ), we know that she's just putting on an act. She always INDIRECTLY hinting my friends ( behind my back ) that I am very evil and I'm the one who turns her precious son from good to bad.. ( my husband and I are very different. He's the stay home type while I'm the rebellious type. )

The first time she met me was when my husband told his family that I was pregnant, which was about 4 years plus ago. She said she accept me into the family and lots of stuff but as we are too young ( me being 17 that year and my husband being 23 ), she asked me for an abortion. And yea, we went ahead... She's Christian... but well, maybe we are indeed too young *dont ask me about this.*

I've been living with my husband and his family ever since then and she has treated me VERY WELL in front of people.. but in between she spread nasty words about me.. and as usual, INDIRECTLY.

For e.g:
1) *Hubby and I has a shop* Customer were talking to me and her and she suddenly says "See, my daughter and I are so pretty..." Customer goes.. "your DIL is also very pretty" Then, she turned to me and stares and started laughing VERY loudly and says " Really?" Even the customer was staring at me with her shocking eyes... the customer was giving me this "Oh man, what the heck??" *And my MIL isnt pretty..This sounds mean.. I know.. But she's rather below average*
2) She was just talking to my best friend and she suddenly goes "Sigh, XXX was a good boy last time. He always listen to me.. But now...... " Arrrggghhh, she couldnt accept the fact that he's NOT a boy anymore and he has his own stand. She blames me for this.
3) She INSULTED my family in front of me. Because she thinks that she's very high class! My family is not well off and my Dad smokes.. She just look down on my family. She isnt earning a lot more than my Dad at the moment, but because she can speaks better English and have better education than my Dad, she thinks she's better. She once openly insulted my Mother in front of me. I was so pissed but I couldnt say anything at all.. My blood was boiling inside me.
4) She keep refering my daughter as "IT" when I was pregnant last year. She knows it's going to be a girl but she keep refering my baby as IT. I dont like that at all.
5) After my pregnancy, for chinese, there's this one month period where you rest and recup your health.. I'm supposed to get good food with nuritions and vitamins.. Throughout the whole month, she cooked less than 10 meals for me.. I guess 5 to 6 meals only.. At the start, my Mother wants me to go back home so that she can take care of me, but his Mother aint happy about it and she said she will take care of me. In the end? I end up with no dinner for a lot of days and was eating instant noodles... She only cook for me when there's vistors at the home. She will ask me to bring the food out to the living room and eat there.. Thats just to show the visitors that she cooks for me.
6) When Chinese mary, the guy's family has to offer a dowery to the female's side. When she knows that we are going to get married, her first reaction was "OH,WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO WITH THE DOWERY?" And when my husband said that my side doesnt require that, She went " REALLY? Are you sure? "
7) When planning our wedding lunch, she told me that I cannot invite all my relatives.. Only my uncles and aunties. I cant invite my cousins. That causes me a lot of problem. At the start, she doesnt even want to have any wedding lunch. She just want me to say my vows in front of them and my parents, sister and brother.

Anyway, my friends and I all agreed that she's trying to be a VERY nice person but she failed. She look down on the poor, is VERY racist against darker skin *no offences. It's not me* ( I don't know for what! Not as if she's something special ) She actually causes her brother's family to split.. * Since young, she keep telling her niece and nephew that their father is useless and stuffs. Now, the son doesnt like the father and the daughter run away from the family. She secretly eloped overseas *

AND...

I do not want my daughter to grow up around her. I KNOW she will backstab my family and tell nasty stuffs to my daughter.

And so, I think your life is much better ;)

*Sorry for hijacking this thread*

So sorry MAGs... BIG HUGS... Being approaved from ILs is kinda important in Asian culture in general, but at the end of the day, your family is what matters, I think. I used to interact with my MIL like a friend and not like an IL and got burned by that. Now I keep a good distance and really just communicate as needed. But it is hard if they are living with you or staying with you for a long time. That is really not fair to you if your SIL is telling the truth...

Aww, MAGs I am so sorry youre going through this... although I am not married, and do not have a MIL, I feel your pain as I know what its like to be ridiculed by family.

My best advice would be to talk to your DH and let him know how much this issue is crippling you, and he can joke all he wants to keep up appearances, but you're his wife, and you have his kids! You have the right to stop the kids from seeing his parents if this disrespect is kept up... one day they will have to deal with it and you will get your well earned respect! :heart:

:heart:

Anyway, I forgotten to add that, I think you should lead your own life and try to interact as little as possible with them..

P.S: Whenever I talk to my husband about this, he will switch topic. I think it's an Asian male thing. They do not want to offend their parents.

Nods.

And when I tell my husband that those things tt his Mum do, he just goes silent and asked me, "What can I do? You know her."

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.. I wanna move out of that house, but my husband doesnt want to. 'Cos he's the only son. ( For most Chinese, son is supposed to take care and pay for the parents when they are old. And so, he cant stay away from them. If my husband and I didnt go home for a few days, she will start calling my husband.. grrrrr. )

If your FIL actually knows that he's not treating you right, that for a start, is a good sgn. ;)

Nods.

And when I tell my husband that those things tt his Mum do, he just goes silent and asked me, "What can I do? You know her."

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.. I wanna move out of that house, but my husband doesnt want to. 'Cos he's the only son. ( For most Chinese, son is supposed to take care and pay for the parents when they are old. And so, he cant stay away from them. If my husband and I didnt go home for a few days, she will start calling my husband.. grrrrr. )

If your FIL actually knows that he's not treating you right, that for a start, is a good sgn. ;)

OMG!!:wtf:

Oooh MAGs! I'm soooo sorry! *BIG HUG*

IL's are a tough topic, and asian IL's are certainly not on the easy spectrum of that.

I honestly don't know what sort of advice I can give you, as I don't know you, and I don't know him or them, and every family is different.

The only thing I can think to say to you is if the IL's are so hell-bent on making you an outsider, don't let them suceed. Don't let this drive a wedge between you and your DH (don't pressure him too much about it, as most asian men are completely clueless when it comes to dealing with their mums and pops), don't let your daughter see the rift. The IL's are in *YOUR* home -- THEY are the outsiders and not you. I'm not suggesting that you create a scene, but keep your head up, darling. Assert yourself. They may or may not come around, but if they haven't already, it's not something you can help or figure out. Don't let them create misery for you unnecessarily. If they can't be a positive in YOUR home, YOUR family, with YOUR child, then you need not waste your time figuring out how to please them.