I need help! Color transfer has me totally bummed! :(

Jan 1, 2010
Okay, so first of all, let me start by saying it takes me MONTHS to decide what bag I want to buy. Why? Because I rarely buy bags and normally spend all my money on designer clothing, not accessories. That's where my story begins...

...In October I fell head over heels for the Givenchy Mini Pepe Pandora--it was exactly what I was looking for-a messenger, crossbody and on the smaller side. Plus, it still had the capacity to hold an attractive amount. I decided I would wait to get it in the green from Fall 2012 that Barneys had listed online--what do you know, it sold out--everywhere! Barneys, Ssense and FarFetch.

So, I move on until I find it in this color called Sky Blue, from Summer 2013. For the price, I didn't want another basic black bag, plus I already own two. I wait, think about it. I'm a guy so I wanted to be sure about the color. Eventually I closed in on it--the blue reminded me of the ocean and I needed it. It came, I loved it and immediately started using it and got loads of compliments---this is one unique bag, the shape, the color--everything about it was great...

...until dyes from various articles of clothing started changing it colors/transferring onto it. First grey. Then green(I don't wear green, so I'm not even sure how that happened) THEN BROWN!!! A magic eraser got most of it off (yeah, I know, scary), but I don't want to have to clean it every time I wear my bag, nor should I have to! I am so upset! I don't know what to do! I am very particular and this just will not do! Plus, I really do not like LeatherSpa!

So my question to you is this: do I sell it? It feels so weird to sell anything because I literally collect clothing in hopes to one day dedicate to museums--I rarely part with any fashion related object. I'm talking Raf Simons, Margiela--brands right up their with Givenchy in the fashion hierarchy. I love the bag and the color, but I don't love this color issue. I wouldn't even know where to begin in regard to selling it! If I do sell it, I think I'd get a medium black Pandora, again in the Pepe leather. I really just need some advice. This is certainly not my area of expertise, as I once thought. It was such an intense build up, that I guess I feel a little let down. I know it sounds silly, but still! Advice would be lovely!

I've had the same problem with color transfer, and I've finally figured out to deal with it. The problem with color transfer is that most clothing (read: jean) manufacturers over-dye their fabric. Because the dye is excessive, the fibers of the fabric cannot adequately absorb it, hence you have color transfer, or crocking.

Though there are many options to preventing color transfer (rinsing clothing in vinegar, salt, soda ash...). The one consistent recommendation I've read is to use Restayne Color Fixative. Color bleed is a hot topic among quilters. I found a local quilting shop and this was the one product recommended above all others. The ladies I spoke to swear by it, so I'm trying it out as we speak.

Tomorrow I'm planning to wear my newly color-fixed jeans with an off-white Prada bag to see if this stuff really works. If it does, I would suggest that you use it on your jeans, and have your beloved Givenchy bag re-dyed. Most places charge between $60-$120 to re-dye a handbag. It's well worth it for a bag you adore.

I've heard unanimously high praise for the color fixing qualities of Restayne, so I'm very optimistic. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:
Reactions: traveler727
So sorry to hear that. The Apple leather treatment line has a cleaning product that once lifted significant color transfer off of a light colored bag. Good luck!

Oooh, do you remember the name of it? I just used Leather CPR on my Fendi, cognac Mia Borsa to remove dye from my jeans, and I rubbed it too aggressively, so now there's some discoloration. Leather CPR is really more of a conditioner, so if you could give me the name of that Apple product, that would be great!

Baby wipes, do a search in this subforum.

As for preventative methods, try searching in tpf (wealth of knowledge), scotch guarding or asking a seasoned handbag sa or bag repair shop about any specific pretreatment sprays u can buy.

I am obsessed with colour transfer.
Any light coloured bag is going to suffer, whatever the brand.
Jeans are to be avoided when you carry your blue bag.
Try to use the products that the other tpfers talked about..

Oooh, do you remember the name of it? I just used Leather CPR on my Fendi, cognac Mia Borsa to remove dye from my jeans, and I rubbed it too aggressively, so now there's some discoloration. Leather CPR is really more of a conditioner, so if you could give me the name of that Apple product, that would be great!

It was this one, and there's a suede/nubuck one too that I've never tried:

http://leatherstuff.com/shop/view.php?id=267

^^ I would say use the product with caution. Try a little test. I use this to remove the patina (light stickiness) on my Bal handles. However, I tried to clean off a darkened spot on a corner of the piping and it just removed the leather color rather than the darkened spot.

Here's a great advise about baby wipes http://forum.purseblog.com/givenchy/how-i-saved-my-nightingale-801731.html

Okay, so first of all, let me start by saying it takes me MONTHS to decide what bag I want to buy. Why? Because I rarely buy bags and normally spend all my money on designer clothing, not accessories. That's where my story begins...

...In October I fell head over heels for the Givenchy Mini Pepe Pandora--it was exactly what I was looking for-a messenger, crossbody and on the smaller side. Plus, it still had the capacity to hold an attractive amount. I decided I would wait to get it in the green from Fall 2012 that Barneys had listed online--what do you know, it sold out--everywhere! Barneys, Ssense and FarFetch.

So, I move on until I find it in this color called Sky Blue, from Summer 2013. For the price, I didn't want another basic black bag, plus I already own two. I wait, think about it. I'm a guy so I wanted to be sure about the color. Eventually I closed in on it--the blue reminded me of the ocean and I needed it. It came, I loved it and immediately started using it and got loads of compliments---this is one unique bag, the shape, the color--everything about it was great...

...until dyes from various articles of clothing started changing it colors/transferring onto it. First grey. Then green(I don't wear green, so I'm not even sure how that happened) THEN BROWN!!! A magic eraser got most of it off (yeah, I know, scary), but I don't want to have to clean it every time I wear my bag, nor should I have to! I am so upset! I don't know what to do! I am very particular and this just will not do! Plus, I really do not like LeatherSpa!

So my question to you is this: do I sell it? It feels so weird to sell anything because I literally collect clothing in hopes to one day dedicate to museums--I rarely part with any fashion related object. I'm talking Raf Simons, Margiela--brands right up their with Givenchy in the fashion hierarchy. I love the bag and the color, but I don't love this color issue. I wouldn't even know where to begin in regard to selling it! If I do sell it, I think I'd get a medium black Pandora, again in the Pepe leather. I really just need some advice. This is certainly not my area of expertise, as I once thought. It was such an intense build up, that I guess I feel a little let down. I know it sounds silly, but still! Advice would be lovely!

Thanks everyone for the comments! I'm going to try using the baby wipes eventually this week! I actually discovered that the bag looks better up higher on my waist than it does lower, which is where is was hitting my pants, thus color transfer. So I raised it and I actually like the way it look better. However, if the baby wipes don't work to my satisfaction, I'll be selling this beauty and either getting an obsedia or medium pandora in black pepe. I'll let you all know! Thanks for bonding over this with me! :smile:

Reactions: traveler727

can you post a pic?