I need babysitter help please!! MOMs help me out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I would pay the average amount a sitter would charge, and that would be way above $200 JUST because she is family. If a real sitter charges 500 or more, why should I give my family any less? I would offer it to her and only not pay if she declines or says otherwise.

My mom asks family to do work often and doesn't offer them anything or gives them lower than average pay because she says they are family and they ought to do it for less or free. I find that extremely rude and it's taking advantage of family members if done too much. Similarly, a day or two of sitting two toddlers for free seems fair to me, but an entire week on 200 dollars would be taking advantage IMO.

I have never asked her to watch them before so it's not like I'm taking advantage of her all the time. And like I mentioned my parents would totally help out. DH and I never get to go anywhere cuz we either can't afford it or can't afford to pay a sitter and we never had a honeymoon and we are going on 7 years. If my sister offered to pay me to watch her kids years ago all the times I did, I would have jumped at the chance for ANY money but I watched them for free and was happy to do it for free cuz that's what familys about, helping each other out.

gosh like I said above I have no idea since I have never had to pay someone to watch my kids and you guys are making me feel bad, which isn't too cool.

I was going to say $500 minimum, but with the family aspect part of it, perhaps a little less, but not just $200. Afterall, the sister is family and she didn't think that was enough, soo...

Yes, $200 is a bit on the low side. I would go somewhere between $300-$500 for a whole week, depending on what you can afford. Talk to your niece about the pay and ask what she would be okay with! :smile:

Tracy, I just read your post before mine for the first time. I'm sorry if we're making you feel bad...I'm sure that was not anyone's intent. It has been ages since mine were baby-sitting age, so I shouldn't have put my two cents in anyway, since I don't know the "going rate." You just do what you feel is best, and I'm sure that will be fine. Have fun on your cruise!!!

I have never asked her to watch them before so it's not like I'm taking advantage of her all the time. And like I mentioned my parents would totally help out. DH and I never get to go anywhere cuz we either can't afford it or can't afford to pay a sitter and we never had a honeymoon and we are going on 7 years. If my sister offered to pay me to watch her kids years ago all the times I did, I would have jumped at the chance for ANY money but I watched them for free and was happy to do it for free cuz that's what familys about, helping each other out.

gosh like I said above I have no idea since I have never had to pay someone to watch my kids and you guys are making me feel bad, which isn't too cool.

If you haven't had her watch your kids before are you quite sure it's safe to leave them with her for one whole WEEK? She may be your relative, but if you haven't seen her, if your kids aren't accustomed to her, do you think it's all right?

Thinking about it from my perspective, would I leave my 6 yo with someone who hasn't babysat him long term for a long period of time when I am not accessible? No. I'd be too worried about who's going to be responsible if he has an accident and needs to go to hospital, or who would take him to a doctor etc.

If you're happy with your arrangement and trust her enough, I suggest $400/$450.

My experience with children this age...a week is too long for one person to keep them. My MIL kept our kids for a week last year and we made sure to have at least 2 nights where she could get a break from them (family helped out with babysitting for a few hours.) She did not accept any money, but we bought her gifts that were worth about $500.

You know your neice and sister, if your sister did not think $200 was enough, it probably isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.