I need a slouchy, black leather shoulder bag...help!

michynyc

bag & shoe addict!
O.G.
Feb 22, 2010
I have been searching for a black, slouchy leather shoulder bag for months and I am just at a loss of what to purchase so I thought I'd turn to you helpful people for suggestions! I am obsessed with the large Gucci Jungle Hobo (see attached) but that's just not in my budget at the moment ($1650 retail, $1350 on bluefly). I also saw a Michael Kors Tonne Tote (see attached) that I adored but it is way too pricey ($995) for what it is (and it's also extremely heavy). I've looked at some Botkier styles - Logan, Howard St- but they don't fit over the shoulder and I am not thrilled with wearing a long shoulder strap. Same with Balenciagas. I need to keep this under $1000, but I'd rather spend under $700. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you :biggrin:

Attachments

• 2010-Gucci-hobos-6.jpg
    2010-Gucci-hobos-6.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 960
  • MKV0F0P_mn.jpg
    MKV0F0P_mn.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 796
The MK bag is beautiful IRL but it is REALLY heavy b/c of the hardware on the handles, so even if it goes on sale, I'm not sure it's a practical purchase. I had 20% off in Bloomingdales the other day and could have purchased it with that, but I didn't mainly b/c of the weight.

I have a couple of the Donna Karan glazed bags, the hobo comes with crossbody strap too. AWESOME bags and come in under budget. :smile:

dkny5.jpg

Have you considered the Marc by Marc Hillier hobo - $398? It comes with a shoulder strap as well as a cross-body strap. The leather is pretty awesome as well.

http://www.shopbop.com/classic-hillier-hobo-marc-by/vp/v=1/845524441865632.htm?folderID=2534374302023816&extid=froogle-MARCJ22318

Also Rebecca Minkoff makes a hobo style called the Nikki - $595 (it also comes in a Mini size) in various black leathers and gold or silver or gunmetal hardware

http://www.rebeccaminkoff.com/shop/handbags/nikki.html

There is actually a really pretty, very soft black coach hobo that just came out with amazing leather - so so soft. I'm not normally a coach fan, but this has really pretty silver hardware, is VERY slouchy and has no logos anywhere on it. It's $358. It's called the Brooke. You have to pick the brand new one though - the old brooke had pebbled leather and wasn't nearly as nice leather, nor as slouchy. For someone that is not a coach fan normally - this honestly is a very pretty bag. Comes in two sizes - I think the oversize one is $458. You can't really tell what type of bag it is - it's really beautiful leather. It's also VERY light, despite the hardware.

Janinevs, I love the Faridah at Zappos that you posted a link to! I've been looking for a bag like that and just totally blanked out on all the great things at Zappos. Thanks for the reminder!

Also going to check out the Brooke at Coach. All I've seen lately in stores is signature and more signature!