I need a new bag...should I go for the B30?

I am sure you have seen these pics, but another look at them might help you with your dilemma. Post 23 shows a B30, HAC32, and B35 next to each other in modeling shots.

http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes-reference-library/size-reference-guide-pics-only-91703-2.html

Ok, jackpot! This is so helpful, I have not seen this before. Thank you so much!
This page has the dimensions of everything and such great comparison shots.
Thanks again, I know I will get a ton of use from this page in the future.:smile:

My Dear- this very dilemma has plagued me. The 30B always seems so small on me- much as I want to go smaller -- I've even decided a 35 Kelly suits me best--
I'm 5'8"
Echo the sentiment above that the carefree absolute classic forever vibe of a 35B in black is perfection - and nothing wrong with a bit of slouch - a well deserved slouch in a beloved Birkin is wonderful.
Even if you don't carry much the 35 gives you the utilitarian OPTION of carrying more-
Agree a 30B in a happy color for you next podium may be just the thing- it will round out your collection
As others have said the 30 is startlingly smaller than a 35. Those 5cm make a big difference.
First world problems and so fun to dream about,
Non?

My Dear- this very dilemma has plagued me. The 30B always seems so small on me- much as I want to go smaller -- I've even decided a 35 Kelly suits me best--
I'm 5'8"
Echo the sentiment above that the carefree absolute classic forever vibe of a 35B in black is perfection - and nothing wrong with a bit of slouch - a well deserved slouch in a beloved Birkin is wonderful.
Even if you don't carry much the 35 gives you the utilitarian OPTION of carrying more-
Agree a 30B in a happy color for you next podium may be just the thing- it will round out your collection
As others have said the 30 is startlingly smaller than a 35. Those 5cm make a big difference.
First world problems and so fun to dream about,
Non?

First world all the way! I feel a tad guilty fretting over such trivial matters, but these are pricey items, so well worth the deliberation. I enjoy carrying the garden party 35, so even though a 35B is heavier, the dimensions are similar and work for me. I'm looking for something to wear with jeans, sweaters, and jumping boots, so the 35 probably will be best with this sort of look. The 35 was my first thought, but as we get closer to podium, I start second guessing myself...

I've mentioned the 32 HAC to my SM several times, each time hoping she will tell me it's back in production, no such luck. She once mentioned that it had been a difficult bag to produce. I'n not sure what she meant by that, because it's essentially a Birkin with a N/S configuration and shorter handles, perhaps she was speaking metaphorically, lol!

First world all the way! I feel a tad guilty fretting over such trivial matters, but these are pricey items, so well worth the deliberation. I enjoy carrying the garden party 35, so even though a 35B is heavier, the dimensions are similar and work for me. I'm looking for something to wear with jeans, sweaters, and jumping boots, so the 35 probably will be best with this sort of look. The 35 was my first thought, but as we get closer to podium, I start second guessing myself...

I've mentioned the 32 HAC to my SM several times, each time hoping she will tell me it's back in production, no such luck. She once mentioned that it had been a difficult bag to produce. I'n not sure what she meant by that, because it's essentially a Birkin with a N/S configuration and shorter handles, perhaps she was speaking metaphorically, lol!

This pic is for you. It's a 35cm togo gold. I am 5 feet 6 inches and love the look of the 35 with my black denim and boots. Sorry the pic is so blurry, I'm not good at selfies and my mirror is dirty from my 6 yr old daughter's greasy hands every morning when she tries to do her own hair. I was lucky to try on a 30 a few months back and it was too small on me and I felt that I had my classic flap choice for evenings so really wanted that classic Birkin look. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Also, this bag is togo and and stands straight up with nothing in it. It looks better in my opinion with age because it will wing out nicer at the sides when you want to loosen the closure straps for a more super casual look. Plus you get a nice rectangular shape with the b35 where the b30 has slightly more of a square look in my opinion. Both are gorgeous so really u can't go wrong after all it's a Birkin! There are some great pics of ladies on this site rocking both sizes and everyone looks stunning so be happy as any choice is a great choice.

Last edited:
This pic is for you. It's a 35cm togo gold. I am 5 feet 6 inches and love the look of the 35 with my black denim and boots. Sorry the pic is so blurry, I'm not good at selfies and my mirror is dirty from my 6 yr old daughter's greasy hands every morning when she tries to do her own hair. I was lucky to try on a 30 a few months back and it was too small on me and I felt that I had my classic flap choice for evenings so really wanted that classic Birkin look. Hope this helps.

Ok, wow!!! You look amazing! This is exactly the look I am going for. If I didn't already have three gold bags, I would be ordering a gold B, gold is so classic. Thank you, your photo is so inspirational to me and I am sure it will be for others as well.:smile:

Lots of wonderful info here, thank you!

I have a plume 32 as well and think it is a great size. I know the plume and the Birkin have totally different looks, but in terms of dimensions, would you say your Plume 32 looks proportionately bigger, smaller, or the same as your B30?

:

You're very welcome, I'm glad it was helpful!

I agree the Plume 32 is wonderful, and I find myself reaching for it much more than my B30. It's wider than the B30, which is more square shaped. The B35 is more rectangular much like the P32, they have a similar casual tote vibe. The B35 would be better than the P32, because it is larger, for travel. They would both be great for work.

But again, for me the weight is an issue with the B35, even in Epsom, which I find heavy even in B30s. I think I could only tolerate a B35 in box, but then you lose the casual slouch factor. Go figure!

Here is a side by side comparison of my P32 and B30:

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1452528918.373345.jpg

Ok, wow!!! You look amazing! This is exactly the look I am going for. If I didn't already have three gold bags, I would be ordering a gold B, gold is so classic. Thank you, your photo is so inspirational to me and I am sure it will be for others as well.:smile:

Thank you, you are so sweet. I'm excited you, u will love it no matter what size you end up getting, the craftsmanship is second to none. It truly is an amazing bag that will stand the test of time.

I agree the Plume 32 is wonderful, and I find myself reaching for it much more than my B30. It's wider than the B30, which is more square shaped. The B35 is more rectangular much like the P32, they have a similar casual tote vibe. The B35 would be better than the P32, because it is larger, for travel. They would both be great for work.

But again, for me the weight is an issue with the B35, even in Epsom, which I find heavy even in B30s. I think I could only tolerate a B35 in box, but then you lose the casual slouch factor. Go figure!

View attachment 3238094

WOW, I LOOVE your Plume:love: is it Vache Naturelle??

View attachment 3238094
This is exactly what I needed to see, thank you!
For this order I will go with the 35- I want something that looks similar to somewhat larger than the 32 Plume, and I can see that the B30 looks smaller. I'm covered when it comes to black bags smaller than a Plume 32.

The B30 has a great shape, and it will be the perfect bag to do in a color at the next podium, or perhaps even SO, if I am offered one.

This is exactly what I needed to see, thank you!
For this order I will go with the 35- I want something that looks similar to somewhat larger than the 32 Plume, and I can see that the B30 looks smaller. I'm covered when it comes to black bags smaller than a Plume 32.

The B30 has a great shape, and it will be the perfect bag to do in a color at the next podium, or perhaps even SO, if I am offered one.

Oh GOOD, I'm so glad! And couldn't agree more--black Chevre or Togo in B35 and a pop color in B30 would make for a winning combination for your collection!!!

I totally agree with this! When I first saw my B30, I was shocked abt the size difference and thought "how small...". But now once I've used it i would not buy any other sizes anymore, it's perfect, size and style and can easily transit from day to night. Enjoy your hunt!

Darling you MUST try a B30 on first for yourself. The size difference visually between a 30 and 35 will be a SHOCK if you do not prepare yourself. I am 5'7, 135 and when I was presented with a B30... the reaction from friends was OMG it's soooooo small. For me, I was prepared bc I had tried a B30 before and for me... it's absolute perfection. I will NEVER buy another size. I don't carry much so that's not an issue but if I wanted to load up my 30s I can. It holds a lot if you want. If you can use a K32, a B30 is very comparable. The K isn't as wide as the B so I don't think that will be an issue for you at all. I really think it's going to boil down to the visual difference. I love it but I would never tell someone to get something they have never tried themselves bc you have to feel confident to rock it. Is there any way you can try one on first???? Have you ever tried a Garden Party 30? It's similar visually.....

Thank you so much, dear friends!
I decided to stick with my original plan and request a B35 in Black Togo/ GHW.
After looking at my current collection, I realized that I am covered on Black bags 32 and smaller.
The 35 will give me a sportier black bag, which is the look I need to fill at the moment.

All of the great comments about the B30 have made me realize that it is the perfect bag to seek out in a fun color, so I have a future podium to dream about! Thanks again, amigos!