I NEED a Havana, but what color?

michellejy

Bag & Shoe Addicted
Apr 13, 2009
I am quickly becoming a Hayden Harnett addict here. My Fantasia bag hasn't even been shipped yet, and I'm already on the lookout for something else.

I love hobos, and the modeling photos I saw of the Havana have me sold on it. I know it's not currently being made, which means I need to either go the eBay or Bonanza route to get one. The only thing is, I have no idea what colors it came in. I am *really* trying to stop buying multiple colors of the same bag so I'd ideally like to find one I can be very happy with-- which knowing me will turn into several, but let's just pretend that won't happen.

So can anyone help me out with some of the colors it came in?

So far I know of:
Grape Shine
Anthracite
Oyster
Olive
Ruby
Cobalt
Black
Black Shine
Grey Zeus
Lagoon

I'm sure I am missing several in that list.

Anyway, if you could only have one Havana, which would be your favorite based on color, leather, etc.?

my favorite is eggplant. it's kind of my favorite by default - i only have one, but it's the bag that started me on HH, and i love it.

as far as i know, there is also

taupe
saddle
blueberry
grey (but not grey zeus.. just regular grey)
black onyx (no contrast stitching)
plum
goldrush
brandy
moonbeam
indigo crinkle patent
eggplant
ginger
mulberry
yam
cordovan (not positive on this one - EDIT - yes i am, i had it once upon a time!! :P)

there have also been sample colors, like that really bright green color (but i can't remember the name :smile:

Last edited:
As far as I can recall, the Havana was produced in:
chocolate
bronze
mulberry
moss
luggage
vintage black
tweed
chalk
iznik yellow
coral
cobalt
blush
olive
saddle
goldrush
anthracite
pyrite
soft gold
plum
eggplant
gray (a.k.a. elephant)
eucalyptus
oyster
cordovan
platinum lizard
gray zeus (a.k.a. gray crystal patent)
violet crinkle patent
indigo crinkle patent
ruby
tango red
moonbeam
ginger
lagoon
taupe
yam
yam shine
grape shine

The Havana also was offered in a style called "luxe" brown or black, meaning the foldover flap was woven leather rather than the usual smooth.

There are also colors that we've seen that never went into production like thorne (green).

OK..here's what I was able to Google here on TPF..Stormy started this and there are other links and photos of leathers and styles on here as well.

http://forum.purseblog.com/hayden-harnett/the-history-of-hayden-harnett-havana-331770.html

The prototype non produced Havana samples that I know about are Yam Shine, Thorn, and Iris (Lilac?) Shine

I know there was always a Black: I remember Black Onyx and regular black but I don't remember which one had black stitching and which one had contrasting cream stitching.

FWIW, I and a few other HHHotties have issues with Havanas because of the particular type of flat strap. Ditto Lorca, Yves, Lily, Newman. The strap sits on my shoulder in a very peculiar way and flanges out like a bad pair of shoulder boards or epaulets on a uniform :nuts:

Last edited:
The strap is really comfy and padded (sort of quilted), but as Gingey says, it doesn't work for everyone. It tends to stay put if you've got a bit of weight in the bag (the Havana is a REALLY lightweight handbag), and certain leathers work better. I love the Crinkle Patents and the Shine leathers, but they do tend to be a bit more slippery. I've owned Havanas in Eucalyptus, Cordovan, and Yam Shine... still have the Eucalyptus and it's gorgeous leather. I have owned or still own Lorcas in Indigo Crinkle Patent, Lead, Lagoon, Plum (a sample, there was also a Havana), Yam Shine, and Moonbeam... so if you have specific questions about any of those leathers, just holla!

Thank you for that link. I apparently have horrific search skills because I specifically looked for Havana in this section and never saw that post.

I wish there was someplace local that sold HH so I could go try them in person. I guess that's always the risk of buying bags online.

The strap is really comfy and padded (sort of quilted), but as Gingey says, it doesn't work for everyone. It tends to stay put if you've got a bit of weight in the bag (the Havana is a REALLY lightweight handbag), and certain leathers work better. I love the Crinkle Patents and the Shine leathers, but they do tend to be a bit more slippery. I've owned Havanas in Eucalyptus, Cordovan, and Yam Shine... still have the Eucalyptus and it's gorgeous leather. I have owned or still own Lorcas in Indigo Crinkle Patent, Lead, Lagoon, Plum (a sample, there was also a Havana), Yam Shine, and Moonbeam... so if you have specific questions about any of those leathers, just holla!

Do you have photos posted anywhere of the Eucalyptus?

I tend to carry my life in my bag so I'll probably manage to weigh it down. Plus I deal with the stupid Coach styles that never stay on my shoulder, but I still love them anyway. :lol:

No, I haven't been through archive threads yet. I'm afraid to find more things I *need*. :biggrin:

And duh, for some reason it didn't even occur to me to look there for Havanas. I swear, I am just sleep deprived, not completely incompetent and lazy. :lol:

'Zokay! It's a hard one to search for b/c it's really the iconic, original HH bag, so it's everywhere, in almost every thread. Here are some pics of Eucalyptus, which is the only Havana I still have... there are several leathers I think I'll end up buying again, though. The Lorcas I still own are Lead and ICP. Awesome leathers, both of them.

http://forum.purseblog.com/hayden-harnett/reveal-and-review-500050-100.html

I have black and tweed, I :heart: them both!

Black is great for a starter, it was my first, it's really soft, matches everything.
I love Cho's platinum lizard, though I don't think they made too many of those, I think it's a great color with the shape of the havana.
You really can't go wrong with any of them, hope you find one you love