I need a good strong hairspray

Nov 30, 2008
So I just went and cut new side swept bangs back into my hair, the kind that swipe from 3/4 from the side of my head to the other side...a la Ashlee Simpon (pic attached). The problem is, because I am used to wearing my hair parted down the middle, the bangs want to just drop down into my face instead of staying to the side. I guess I need a new, good strong hold hairspray to keep them in place, at least while my hair is being re-trained.

I never used to use hairspray that much as my hair would just get pushed behind my ears and didn't mess with it that much, so I haven't had a chance to try out a lot of different ones.

Can anyone recommend a good, strong hold hairspray that will help with my bangs? I would prefer one to keep my hair soft though, not hard and crunchy. Would also prefer more of a drugstore or Ulta brand, don't want to spend upwards of $20+ for a hairspray. Thanks!

Attachments

• Edgy-Layered-Emo-Long-Straight-Hairstyle.jpg
    Edgy-Layered-Emo-Long-Straight-Hairstyle.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 435
Elnett's strongest hold. Also if you don't have those little metal beauty clips I'd get some, they're great to help train bangs. I also like using a light lotion w/ hold in it when my hair is wet, right at the root, so my bangs stay soft.

OMG, I'm dating myself here - do they still make Aquanet? Where are my girls from the 80s and early 90s? Yeah, that got our bangs nice and crispy.

ETA: ha, I missed the part about wanting to keep your hair soft. My, how style changes! We thought scrunchies and crispy bangs were the end all, be all!

OMG, I'm dating myself here - do they still make Aquanet? Where are my girls from the 80s and early 90s? Yeah, that got our bangs nice and crispy.

ETA: ha, I missed the part about wanting to keep your hair soft. My, how style changes! We thought scrunchies and crispy bangs were the end all, be all!

LOL!! I grew up in the 80s so I remember aquanet. For some strange reason I even loved the smell of it. LOL.

Looking for something a bit more modern :biggrin:

Elnett's strongest hold. Also if you don't have those little metal beauty clips I'd get some, they're great to help train bangs. I also like using a light lotion w/ hold in it when my hair is wet, right at the root, so my bangs stay soft.

Thanks Swanky. I'm assuming the Elnett is by Loreal? That was the only thing that came up when I searched as I had never heard of it before.

Also, what sort of lotion do you use? I have a lot of hair products but most are for straightening effects or an oil here and there for finishing. I was lucky in the fact that with my long fuss-free hair, I didn't have to do much with it before, so now I'll have to invest in some additional products and sprays to get it to stay.

I still find that my hair wants to resort back to the side whereas my hair is tucked behind my ear instead of my bangs staying on my forehead so I guess it will take some time. I do have those little metal clips so I'll try those as well to get it to stay in place while training. :smile:

Blow dry it straight down w/ a round brush while it's wet. I use Bumble and Bumble styling lotion for light hold because it leaves my hair soft like nothing's in it.
While I'm putting on makeup or whatever I sort of drape mine over to the side, clip them and spray them w/ Elnett (by L'oreal)

If you want something that smells great and still holds strong, I really like the
TIGI Bed Head Masterpiece Hairspray. Especially at the price, I really cannot recommend it enough. If you want something even stronger (as in rock-solid), I recommend the TIGI Hard Head Hard Hold Hairspray. My final recommendation has to be the Aveda Control Force Firm Hold Hair Spray that has a great airy hold on your hair but still manages to wash out easily.