I need a Bag for School! Any Ideas??

kai_415

O.G.
Jul 21, 2008
Hi Guys! I was wondering if I could pick at your brains a bit.

Do you guys have a good idea for a school bag? My requirement: that it be light, that it have some structure and that it be nice enough to take to work yet casual and sturdy enough to put on the floor. Ew, I know. ;) Price range: something under or around $1000 would be great.

I'm back in school and I realized none of my bags really work. They're either too dressy or too delicate and nothing I feel good about putting on the floor.

I can't use what I used to use in undergrad-- a North Face/Jansport backpack just doesn't cut it when I go to class straight from work. :P I used my giant Chanel XL Rock Flap a couple of times but it kinda flopped all over the place. Plus maybe it's too blingy for school? Not sure. :confused1: My Purses-to-Go are in the mail so maybe the XL Jumbo would help with the floppiness? But that wouldn't solve the too blingy factor. Plus I don't want to put it on the floor cause the vinyl although hardy, isn't very scratch proof.

Even tho I am not really an LV girl, I think a Vuitton in damier or monogram would work because it just seems like such a tough yet light bag. It would also hold my books much better without flopping over. I saw a young woman (maybe high school, maybe college) with an LV Never Full monogram as her school bag and that's what gave me the idea. She had hers on the floor and I thought, of course! Coated canvas is tough and sturdy and you can wipe things off! But the straps seem kinda thin. Would it be able to take the weight of my books?

I just love the coated canvas part of it! So much so I am almost considering a L.A.M.B. which is even cheaper. It's not something I'd normally get but this is for school.

http://cgi.ebay.com/L-A-M-B-GWEN-STEFANI-WILTSHIRE-SADDLE-TOTE-BAG-WALLET_W0QQitemZ260357597894QQihZ016QQcategoryZ63852QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The L.A.M.B. is cute (and SO much cheaper than an LV or my Rock Flap) but am I overlooking any other bags? What else should I consider?

Again, it has to be relatively light (I am too old to carry too much! :sweatdrop:) and it should have some structure!

Thanks in advance, guys!! :tup:

Oh, yeah, I didn't think Chanel would be an option. I think I have one of the sturdiest Chanel options in my vinyl Rock Flap, which I was willing to use for school but it's still not quite right, which is why I was open to getting some other brands. I will explore all options. Thanks for the ideas, glamour! :smile:

I think its going to be very hard to find a bag that size around $1000 from chanel. I would go for a Neverfull or a Goyard tote! YSL downtown is another good pick!

i think the portebello wud be a good option, as its soft and light, so it wont be too heavy wen u put ur books in.

ull prob have probs with gst's and jumbos cuz they are a lil heavy itself. i say a portebello wud be good!

o yea, but i dunt think u can get a portebello for around that figure. maybe u can have a look at the old sttyles that go on sale. u may find something ther. good luck!

Yeah, I guess I should have been more specific. I am looking for a non-Chanel brand. Hah hah. I know I am in the Chanel forum-- this is where I hang out. I just didn't think any Chanel would work. My Rock Flap almost works. Maybe when I get the Purse-To-Go insert it won't be as floppy. ;)

o yea, but i dunt think u can get a portebello for around that figure. maybe u can have a look at the old sttyles that go on sale. u may find something ther. good luck!

I use a LV mono neverfull for my school books/laptop, and recently a girl in one of my classes got a neverfull in damier, it looks fantastic on her!

I also think a YSL is a good choice, they go on sale seasonally too!

And to add on what you said, I throw my neverfull around a lot, it's always on the floor and it still looks brand new! (Well of couse it has a patina now)

They have other great bags too but the neverfull is the most femmine IMO.

But the neverfull isn't structured like you mention you would like...

oh i agree with the goyard option. they make cute totes and less people seem to have them than LV's so u will have something a bit different. then maybe treat yourself to the new chanel valentine key chain!

it's hard to find a chanel tote for school... i remember not too long ago, there was the travel ligne, made from thick nylon, that would have worked. maybe it's still out? not sure. i use a LV neverfull or longchamp le pliage for school, both have sufficient space for books.

My husband just got the new LV Damier Graphite messenger bag
http://www.eluxury.com/estore/browse/product_detail.jsp?id=12146373

I know it is for men, but I love it and would carry it in a heartbeat. I guess I am also partial to messenger bags b/c my laptop is just too heavy for one shoulder.

I wear a Longchamp messenger bag or a Gucci one (both black mostly nylon w/ leather trim and really light!) My other option would be Prada. Hope this helps!

Hey Chantal! See? That's why, even though I am not an LV Girl, I love the LVs. You can toss them around and they still look brand new! Hey, you mentioned that you have your books and laptop in there. Are the thin-nish straps ok with the weight? Re: the structure, yes, it's not uber structured but it's more structured than my Chanel XL Rock Flap! Thanks for the suggestions! :tup:

And to add on what you said, I throw my neverfull around a lot, it's always on the floor and it still looks brand new! (Well of couse it has a patina now)

They have other great bags too but the neverfull is the most femmine IMO.

But the neverfull isn't structured like you mention you would like...