I miss dressing up!

jade

O.G.
Jan 15, 2006
I am always having a fashion existential crisis. On the whole I like dressing up and looking polished. But it is not always practical for my life. I take transit, walk places, bike places and so on so not all types of shoes and bags are practical.

I work in a super casual office, so I tend to tone down my outfits by adding casual elements. I wear flats most of the time. I'm always thinking about pencil skirts and blazers but when the average person is wearing boyfriend jeans and a slouchy t-shirt - that just looks like too much.

Instead of stiff structured bags (which are my favorites), I look for softer leathers and cross body straps. Handheld bags are too fancy!

People generally think I am just really dressed up, even when wearing my normal! I wear dresses on the weekend and probably 5 days a week. If I wear jeans, it is with a nice top and a cardigan. Hoodies aren't my friends. I rarely wear activewear as an outfit.

Lately I have been in the mood to just go all in, and dress in the super polished vision of my fantasy life. But I wonder if it would be just too much. It makes me wish I lived in a different city where dressing up wouldn't be so alien!

Does anyone else have the same problem? What do you do?

If you are dreaming of wearing a pencil skirt, I say go for it! Pair it with more casual items like a t shirt and a bomber jacket to tone down the seriousness of it or try a leather jacket with it when it is cool enough. Tone down a beautiful dress with a denim jacket or cardigan and wear with trendy shoes. Pencil skirts can be dressed down with a chunky sweater in the winter or a logo T shirt in the Summer. There are definitely ways to incorporate the more "formal" things you seem to love. It is all about balance. I also enjoy dressing up, so I totally understand how you feel!

Reactions: V0N1B2
honestly, i would just dress the way you want to and not worry that everyone else is dressed casually. my new workplace is a balance of casual and just plain unstylish, so i always look and feel out of place, although i do like having the flexibility of dressing casually when i want to.

Reactions: V0N1B2
I get dressed up just to go to Target and Petco lol. You only live once, wear what you want.
I get compliments sometimes, sometimes weird looks, sometimes dirty looks...the ones who give me dirty looks are dressed like slobs! What nerve :whut:
Do you! be happy :tup:

I was out over the weekend in a casual knit dress, a cardigan and some oxfords. An older woman (60-something) came up to me and said, you look so nice in your dress - you make the rest of us look like slobs. Lol.

This isn't even a dresses up outfit in my book! That was normal weekend.

I lived in a big city where I learned the value of dressing up. Then when I moved to a smaller and more casual part of the USA, I kept my formal aesthetic. I dress up to go everywhere, and always wear lipstick/nail polish. It's just who I am now. One good thing: Living and working in a more casual city has let me have a little bit more fun with current style trends, like wearing white fashion sneakers with a dress or skirt; or joggers and oversized button-up shirts. I work in an ad agency and I am a designer. That helps too. I read a quote by someone that dressing nicely is just a form of being polite. (Coco Chanel?) I like to think of it that way. I dress to show the world that I care. But it doesn't mean that the "slobs" don't care; clothes just may not be as important to them. I write this in the hope that it helps you.

I lived in a big city where I learned the value of dressing up. Then when I moved to a smaller and more casual part of the USA, I kept my formal aesthetic. I dress up to go everywhere, and always wear lipstick/nail polish. It's just who I am now. One good thing: Living and working in a more casual city has let me have a little bit more fun with current style trends, like wearing white fashion sneakers with a dress or skirt; or joggers and oversized button-up shirts. I work in an ad agency and I am a designer. That helps too. I read a quote by someone that dressing nicely is just a form of being polite. (Coco Chanel?) I like to think of it that way. I dress to show the world that I care. But it doesn't mean that the "slobs" don't care; clothes just may not be as important to them. I write this in the hope that it helps you.

Sometimes I think I should move to NYC - then I can dress up all the time. LOL. But I hate the weather. So that's not happening.

A few jobs ago it was easy to wear more formal items - I drove to work and had lots of client meetings. Now I work in a tech company doing marketing. Really anything goes, but I am quite a bit older than my colleagues, so I need to balance not seeming too old (being perceived as "old" is definitely not helpful in tech) and not looking like a 22 year old.

I am generally well put together - but there is another level that I do fell like I miss out on. I do the same in terms of adding in trendy casual pieces to tone down anything dressed up.

I am on an endless mission for a casual enough blazer to mix in with my dresses. And figuring out that next evolution of my style as I head into my 40s.

I dress like I want. People say I look dressy lots of times. I don't think so. I look put together and polished. There is a difference.

I have zero desire to look like I'm about to walk the dog or dig potatoes when I'm moving through life. I like looking pretty and feminine so, I dress accordingly. :biggrin: I prefer dresses - sundresses, maxi dresses, work dresses, cocktail dresses. So I wear them. And I prefer heels, structured bags and fine jewelry. When I'm not in dresses, I like unique but stylish pants with interesting tops. Rarely can I be found in jeans and a T. And shorts / capris are dead to me. LOL!

I never look stuffy, dated or overdone. Being on trend (not trendy) and fresh is important to me. I like fashion and I enjoy coming up with interesting, classy, soft glam looks.

It's just more fun to go through life looking nice. Life is short. Why waste time not enjoying my look?

Reactions: elisabettaverde
I was told several times I dress way older for my age. Im fan of 50s, I like looking polished, dressing up, even if its just for a long walk or groceries... I know Im overdressed and I notice the stares and looks from others but honestly, life is too short. :tup:

Reactions: Sparkletastic
...Lately I have been in the mood to just go all in, and dress in the super polished vision of my fantasy life.

This is your life, and (probably) the only one you're going to get. It goes by very, very, quickly and there may come a time when, for whatever reason, you are no longer able to dress in the vision of your fantasy life. So seize the day. I suspect one of two things will happen, either your real life will begin to align itself more closely with your "fantasy life," and you'll be amazed at the new opportunities that will come your way, and the doors that may open. Or...you'll discover that the way you thought you wanted to be wasn't exactly what you wanted and you'll adjust your style/life based on that knowledge. Either way, you get a dress rehearsal and some great information. If you can move yourself forward and have fun in the process, then be brave and have a ball. :smile:

I was out over the weekend in a casual knit dress, a cardigan and some oxfords. An older woman (60-something) came up to me and said, you look so nice in your dress - you make the rest of us look like slobs...

People look however they want to look. You can't manage everyone else's wardrobe. (Or you could change your career and become a wardrobe consultant.) Slobs will look like slobs (however that's defined nowadays) if that's how they choose to express themselves, so just do your own thing.

Reactions: kat99
I feel this way often. I work from home most of the time, and I feel silly wearing my "work" clothes when I'm sitting in my study with my dog. So I only get to really dress up when I go out with my DH, or when I travel for work. I also live in suburban Texas, which is not at all dressy. When I leave the house, I do what I feel like if I'm in the mood, and other days I go more casual. Today I wore some black Marsell wedges, polished cotton black shorts, and a black button down shirt untucked. It was quite edgy for Cypress, TX! Ha. But I felt good.

So I guess do what makes you feel good, and don't worry about all the other kids out there.

just dress up when you feel like it and don't worry about what people might think.

the opposite would be when i am super casual with no makeup; i'm not a public figure so reality is no one really cares or even notices my get-up of the day.

imo as we get older we need to make an effort to not appear like we have given up on life or vice versa so that is a great reason to dress up.