I m Doomed!!!

crazyforhermess

QUOTE me as "CFH"
Jan 27, 2011
I dont know since when I couldnt carry any leather bags anymore without having rashes on my shoulder, my arm, my wrist ..everywhere on those areas I carry my bag??? What am I going to do??????????

I think that you are allergic to chrome. It's a substance which develops during the tanning when it is in contact with chemicals.
Chrome is still present in 30% of the shoes and bags on the market.
As someone suggested, don't wear your bags close to your skin.

Sobs sobsssss.....summer is so hot and humid here, so it's either long sleeve with bag or no sleeve no leather bag, urghhh can't carry my beloved bags. Tried carrying all bags but but it's the leather part that made my skin itchs. Only recently. Sigh sigh very heart broken and sick. Please let me release my air and ranting and I will be better soon.

I don't see how you can tell for sure it's the leather of the bag causing this. In high heat, maybe anything pressing or rubbing your skin would cause the same reactions. Worth trying it out with other materials to check this--try a cotton or woven fiber or nylon bag with the same weight as your leather bags. Carry it on the shoulder and by hand, and see what happens. Perhaps you're just allergic right now, to something in the environment?

Wow, I don't know anyone who has allergies to leather. Do you have other types of allergies? If it's truly a contact allergy, I'm afraid you have to avoid getting in contact with your leather bags. I'd see an allergist.

Wow, I don't know anyone who has allergies to leather. Do you have other types of allergies? If it's truly a contact allergy, I'm afraid you have to avoid getting in contact with your leather bags. I'd see an allergist.

My brother in law is allergic to chrome. He has known since he had a big problem with leather shoes a few years ago. The shoes contained a high level of chrome.

Yes, as Mariapia said, it might be the chrome. Chromium-tanned leather is common.

See an allergist to have tests done. In the meantime, use an ascorbic acid (vitamin C) barrier cream.

If you have any bags that you know are vegetable-tanned, maybe try wearing those for awhile to see if your skin reacts to those too.

I don't see how you can tell for sure it's the leather of the bag causing this. In high heat, maybe anything pressing or rubbing your skin would cause the same reactions. Worth trying it out with other materials to check this--try a cotton or woven fiber or nylon bag with the same weight as your leather bags. Carry it on the shoulder and by hand, and see what happens. Perhaps you're just allergic right now, to something in the environment?
Well in the beginning, I didn't know for sure and I thought it's was something I had eaten. That time I was carrying a caviar bag, medallion shoulder type, so my palms, arms And near armpits, those areas that my bag touches them. Because I only uses my leather bags during weekends if I m going to the city, therefore normal day I used my nylon Kipling. After several occasions, I realized it was the leather that gives me the rashes. It just comes.

Hey, vegetable tanned, didn't know that but good I info..Tks so much and will do more info search about that. Meanwhile, my leather gas got to retire for a while...sigh

Yes, as Mariapia said, it might be the chrome. Chromium-tanned leather is common.

See an allergist to have tests done. In the meantime, use an ascorbic acid (vitamin C) barrier cream.

If you have any bags that you know are vegetable-tanned, maybe try wearing those for awhile to see if your skin reacts to those too.