Prada Psycho

Authenticator
O.G.
Jul 21, 2006
Firing Range Central
Family Hails Dog's Return as a 'Miracle'

By AMY BETH HANSON
posted: 11 HOURS 47 MINUTES AGO

HELENA, Mont. (Feb. 7) - A golden retriever named Buck that darted from his owners last summer after being spooked by a train whistle and went missing for six months is back home in Washington state, thanks to several residents of rural north-central Montana.

http://news.aol.com/article/dog-found-survives-cold/333176

boxermom

O.G.
Aug 26, 2006
North Carolina
I read the story, PP, and it's amazing the dog survived! It would be so terrible to have your dog disappear and not know what happened. Thank goodness Buck and his family are together again. Keep him on the leash!

stormy

Shepherds Rule!!
O.G.
Jul 30, 2006
In the Mountains
I read the story, PP, and it's amazing the dog survived! It would be so terrible to have your dog disappear and not know what happened. Thank goodness Buck and his family are together again. Keep him on the leash!
ITA. I can't imagine losing my dog and not ever knowing what happened. He is a very lucky dog to have survived!

Prada Psycho

Authenticator
O.G.
Jul 21, 2006
Firing Range Central
I guess I don't understand the "off leash" phenomenon. Overlooking that it's against the law in our county, I simply would NOT trust any dog off a leash. No matter how well behaved they are, how good they stay with you, this incident alone is proof that you simply must keep a leash on your dog. Think of the agony this family could have saved themselves if they only had that leash on the dog. Sad. :girlsigh:

stormy

Shepherds Rule!!
O.G.
Jul 30, 2006
In the Mountains
I guess I don't understand the "off leash" phenomenon. Overlooking that it's against the law in our county, I simply would NOT trust any dog off a leash. No matter how well behaved they are, how good they stay with you, this incident alone is proof that you simply must keep a leash on your dog. Think of the agony this family could have saved themselves if they only had that leash on the dog. Sad. :girlsigh:
Well said PP!!! Both of my dogs are completely "off leash" trained, but when I take them anywhere, they are on the leash. I live up in the mountains where alot of people have weekend homes. They come up for the weekend and literally turn their dogs loose to roam "in the woods". I've had several occasions where loose dogs came running up to my dogs with a very aggressive attitude and the owners are nowhere to be seen. I actually carry pepper spray with me when I walk in case I have to defend my dogs! In addition, we have lots of coyotes up here and I don't care how large a dog is, a pack of coyotes can take it down.