I Love Flats But They Don't Love Me (Back Heel Torture)

anniebobannie

@annieholly
May 18, 2007
So I find flats adorable! I know they supposed to be relatively more comfortable shoes than say high heels. But some of them can be killer on the back of my heels! Some flats are worse than others, some better. They always feel fine when I walk around in the store and I think to myself that I won't run into the same problem with back heel torture... but then I do!

I just bought three pairs of flats at the Gap yesterday and just started wearing one pair. And I'm sooo sad because they're wearing down the skin of the backs of my heels! I'm hoping it's because I'm still breaking them in (maybe?). I thought they were so comfy when I was walking around the store though! Sigh. I know that other people must be having this same problem, so I was surprised when I couldn't easily find a thread about this! (But maybe I wasn't typing in the right search terms)

I've bought those foot petal-like things except they're small and can be attached to the back of the shoe and it helps out a lot, but they don't seem to stick very well? I guess those work fine, but just wanted to hear if there are any other solutions out there or experiences?

Last edited:
I have the same problem. Usually, I use heel grips, but I've found that some work better than others. The Dr. Scholl's gel ones for women don't stick at all, but usually I just get the generic grey ones from walgreens and they work really well!

Also, some shoes are made to counter this problem. For example, I have a few pairs of flats where the heel is lined in a softer fabric than the rest of the shoe to make sure that they don't rub your heels too much. This is something you may want to look for when purchasing flats.

i had this same problem for so long! here's a list of the things i tend to use depending on the shoes...the rub relief stick works really well, the only drawback is you have to reapply.

foot petals heavenly heels
http://www.footpetals.com/Heavenly%20Heelz.html

dr scholls for her rub relief
http://drscholls.com/drscholls/productSearch.do?method=doProductDetailsLookup&searchArg=69

dr schools for her rub relief stick
http://drscholls.com/drscholls/productSearch.do?method=doProductDetailsLookup&searchArg=68

band aid blister ampoules
http://www.medichest.com/band-aidadvancedhealingblisterblockampoules6.html

Do your flats have elastic on the back (like lanvin flats)? If so, you take a T-bar pin and poke thru the elastic and leather at the heel. Do this maybe 2-3 times (spacing out the holes), then wear your shoes around for alittle while so that it can loosen up. Add more holes as needed. This also works well for sling backs and heels too (anything w/ elastic at the back). It makes a HUGE difference and doesn't ruin your shoes.
The manager at Jeffrey/Bob Ellis suggested this and it works!
Good Luck!:smile:

Do your flats have elastic on the back (like lanvin flats)? If so, you take a T-bar pin and poke thru the elastic and leather at the heel. Do this maybe 2-3 times (spacing out the holes), then wear your shoes around for alittle while so that it can loosen up. Add more holes as needed. This also works well for sling backs and heels too (anything w/ elastic at the back). It makes a HUGE difference and doesn't ruin your shoes.
The manager at Jeffrey/Bob Ellis suggested this and it works!
Good Luck!:smile:

What is a t-bar pin? Can you use a safety pin to do the poking in the elastic? I have Tory Burch Revas - they don't hurt at the back, but the elastic could be a bit looser.

>< That happened with a pair of Dior flats I bought but they started through bandaid/anti blister stuff so I gave up and donated them. I think the ones that curl up when you're not wearing them are worse than others. (at least with my experience)

What is a t-bar pin? Can you use a safety pin to do the poking in the elastic? I have Tory Burch Revas - they don't hurt at the back, but the elastic could be a bit looser.

You might be able to use a heavy duty safety pin, the smaller ones bend when you try to get it thru the leather. You can find the t bars at art supply or fabric stores (maybe even target). They are large pins that are used for upholstery or heavy fabrics. HTH!:smile:

My boyfriend taught me to use a nail file to gently file the spots where the shoe rubs against your feet; and if it's leather or nicer shoes, I use a pen instead (I rub it the way like I'm erasing something really fast with an eraser). Sorry hard to explain. ^^" But this works for me if the shoes fit well. If the rubbing is because my shoes are slightly too big, I always use Dr Scholls' heel grips, the grey ones that are very cushiony. I find it work better than the gel ones. Hope this helps!

Maybe I need to try heel grips. I love flats for travel-they look chic but should be comfy. I am in Spain right now and everyone is wearing cute flats but me. After a disastrous trip to Chicago last year, where I was literally bleeding down Michigan Avenue, I only wear them when I know I won't be walking much.

Flats hate me too. NOTHING will work. NOT ON my $450 DIOR flats or $50 GAP FLATS. It just doesn't work for me.

I keep buying them and walking as little as possible. SIGH