I lost something! Commiseration thread

tulipfield

O.G.
Dec 11, 2007
Did you ever lose something? Vent here.

Today I was so excited to pick out my first Love bracelet. Once I finished, I went to the bathroom at a nearby department store, where I took my rings off in the bathroom and left them!

Twenty or so minutes later I realized I had left them; one of the three had been turned in to lost-and-found, and I guess whoever it was decided to keep the other two. =(

They’re not expensive enough to file a police report, but they are pretty unique and I’m not sure I’ll be able to replace them. Spoiled what should have been a happy day picking out my new piece.

Sorry you lost your rings.

My best friend worked in a high end department store and it was so common to find items in the dressing rooms or restrooms. When a SA turned them into security if they weren’t claimed in xxx weeks the person turning them in got to keep the item.

I lost my one custom made diamond band ring. It was my fault. I think it fell on the carpet off a dresser and I must have vacuumed it up. The ring was special because it had stones given to me from a very special person and I designed the band with the jewler. My one friend also lost her engagement ring taking it off in a public restroom.

My husband lost his wedding ring in a public bathroom in the first few years of our marriage.

The worst things I remember losing were two custom made bracelets. They disappeared during a move. Both were very special. One of them was composed of sapphires and rubies we had mined ourselves!

Is taking off your rings to wash your hands a common thing? I know someone who did that with a 2.5ct diamond ring. It never reappeared.

I don’t usually with normal rings but the ones I lost sit quite high up on the finger and it’s awkward to wash your hands without taking them off. =\

I can’t imagine losing a diamond that big, I hope you’re friend had it insured. =(

Reactions: noodle89
I lost my one custom made diamond band ring. It was my fault. I think it fell on the carpet off a dresser and I must have vacuumed it up. The ring was special because it had stones given to me from a very special person and I designed the band with the jewler. My one friend also lost her engagement ring taking it off in a public restroom.

Ack I’m sorry. =( Those are the worst!

My husband lost his wedding ring in a public bathroom in the first few years of our marriage.

The worst things I remember losing were two custom made bracelets. They disappeared during a move. Both were very special. One of them was composed of sapphires and rubies we had mined ourselves!

That is so sad! ㅠㅠ I recently lost my mother’s pearl earrings from her wedding day during a move. I just don’t learn I guess!

Reactions: whateve
Unfortunately, I'm very good at losing things. I have a collection of half pairs of earrings - some were quite expensive - a phone, one golden ring and a few books. Surprisingly sometimes people find my things and get them back to me.

I chucked out all my academic and professional certificates in a clear out after moving in to our new house :rolleyes: I forgot I’d temporarily put them together in an large envelope after getting them all out to apply for a post - and I threw out the envelope with a whole lot of other stuff. Couldn’t believe it :frown: what an idiot, I can still picture that envelope in my minds eye!

I also lost an expensive ring after leaving it by a washbasin in a public cloakroom - but fortunately someone handed it in to the reception desk later in the day.

Don’t know of this counts but once spent 10 minutes cursing my car for not unlocking, only to realise my actual car was a couple of spaces further down the line in the car park (identical brand/spec/model). The queue at the nearby atm machine found it funnier than I did at the time :blush:

Unfortunately, I'm very good at losing things. I have a collection of half pairs of earrings - some were quite expensive - a phone, one golden ring and a few books. Surprisingly sometimes people find my things and get them back to me.

Ugh me too. I have one gorgeous earring and no idea what to do with it.

Don’t know of this counts but once spent 10 minutes cursing my car for not unlocking, only to realise my actual car was a couple of spaces further down the line in the car park (identical brand/spec/model). The queue at the nearby atm machine found it funnier than I did at the time :blush:

Can relate! I lost a car once (it was a rental) late at night and called a Lyft to drive me around the neighborhood looking for it. I swear I thought it had been towed. Gave up and went home, and my friend found it in no time the next morning.

Reactions: whateve
Ugh me too. I have one gorgeous earring and no idea what to do with it.

Can relate! I lost a car once (it was a rental) late at night and called a Lyft to drive me around the neighborhood looking for it. I swear I thought it had been towed. Gave up and went home, and my friend found it in no time the next morning.
You can get a pendant made out of it. Recently I have taken a few of pairless earrings to jeweler and exchanged them for a new necklace. I had to pay a small sum but now I have a nice new item.
@Pessie: A friend did that with his car once. When we realized that it was a wrong car we had almost broken into, we couldn't stop laughing.

One time I lost alot of cash I put away. I would normally put it in the same place; but this time I changed my normal spot thinking I would remember. Well 2 months later I was looking for this money and couldn’t remember. I was going crazy. Looked iin 5 different spots about 3 times. Crazy I know. I pulled everything out of my closet and back again, to no avail. I pulled out all the stuff in my bag/shoe closet to no avail. Remember, I did this at least 3 times each. I had a lot of stuff to go through. I went in rooms I don’t normally go and searched. Pulled out all my dresser drawers, took everything out (shaked all my clothes, etc). about 3 times. Nothing.

So now I decided to go to YouTube and do memory exercises. I even paid for and downloaded a memory app. Even bought these memory pills. :lol:

Still nothing. I was getting depressed.

Then one day about a week later, I decided to look inside the boxes of my designer boots. (Don’t know why I didn’t do it when I opened all the boxes of my shoes lol.)

Voila! Found it.

I had put it in a red bag inside the bottom of a red pair of boots :lol: I figured I would remember.

My husband lost his wedding ring also, during our first year of marriage. We were golfing and he took it off and put it in his pocket and lost it on the course. We thought we’d never see that thing again, but sure enough weeks later we got a call from the course and someone found it on a putting green and turned it in. I couldn’t believe it. There are good people out there, and you never know, someone might still turn it in...guilt and karma.

Not sure if this counts...

I lost my phone years ago when cellphones were still a novelty. I was on a solo trip (one of the first time on my own too) and lost the phone 3 times in 3 different cities. When I eventually lost it for good, I was so devastated that I cried on the phone with my parents sitting in the police station. But I got over it. My mom even got over it sooner than I did. She just thought it was meant to be and I haven’t lost a phone since.

Reactions: tulipfield
My husband lost his wedding ring also, during our first year of marriage. We were golfing and he took it off and put it in his pocket and lost it on the course. We thought we’d never see that thing again, but sure enough weeks later we got a call from the course and someone found it on a putting green and turned it in. I couldn’t believe it. There are good people out there, and you never know, someone might still turn it in...guilt and karma.
That isn't going to happen now. It's been over 20 years, and it was a fairly generic looking wedding ring.