I lost my chance at a Calf Small Satchel

asinc

Jan 7, 2006
ILD had a calf Small Satchel on sale for $147.00. I have been saving up for a FT Front Pocket Satchel but for that price I thought, I'll spend a little bit of the FPS fund,wait a little longer and then I'll have them both. I went out to the kitchen to get my purse and I came back and it was sold out. I actually feel upset about this and it kind of ruined my day. I love the look of the Florentine Satchels but I really didn't want to do a heavy bag again (I was carrying a Mulberry Bayswater). So in my mind I just knew that the calf satchel would be the perfect compromise as I think it would be lighter.

I was thinking about taking a little ride out to the outlet this weekend to peek around but I doubt I'll find one for even close to that price. :sad:

ILD had a calf Small Satchel on sale for $147.00. I have been saving up for a FT Front Pocket Satchel but for that price I thought, I'll spend a little bit of the FPS fund,wait a little longer and then I'll have them both. I went out to the kitchen to get my purse and I came back and it was sold out. I actually feel upset about this and it kind of ruined my day. I love the look of the Florentine Satchels but I really didn't want to do a heavy bag again (I was carrying a Mulberry Bayswater). So in my mind I just knew that the calf satchel would be the perfect compromise as I think it would be lighter.

I was thinking about taking a little ride out to the outlet this weekend to peek around but I doubt I'll find one for even close to that price. :sad:

Lately the outlets have been cheaper when I called. Maybe call yours and see if they will ship.

I'm sorry this happened. I know how upsetting it can be. I've been a victim myself. [emoji17] Usually the outlet had better pricing than ILD in my experience. Like Aerinha mentioned, you might want to give them a call. Also keep checking ILD. Sometimes things tend to pop back in. Also check their eBay store. Sometimes they have different items listed. Good luck.

Yes, definitely keep stalking. Most likely there will be returns. They do pop up but check ILD's main site as well as the eBay site. Also check overstock.com. This has happened to me a few times.

Did you ever get this? ILD has it on the site again for $147.

Reactions: YankeeDooney
I saw that too. Now I have been seeing unfavorable reviews about it. People say the leather is too thin. I wonder.
I bought it and returned it do to the size being to big fore me. I didn't notice the leather being too thin. I haven't seen the reviews but I hope it's not being compared to Florentine. I don't think you can compare the two leathers.

I saw that too. Now I have been seeing unfavorable reviews about it. People say the leather is too thin. I wonder.
I think it would really depend on the person whether the leather is too thin. It's definitely different from a florentine bag, and of course, it is much thinner than dillen leather. I think mine is fine, I love that it is probably lighter due to the leather being thinner than florentine perhaps? But it is not noticeably thin to me, like it's going to be punctured or wear through or anything. Maybe it is as thin as non-Dooney, department store bags is what they mean. But I think that is what makes it lighter, which is a pro for me. I believe it can also go out in the rain, but don't quote me on that. The only thing I didn't like as much was simply the contrast stitching - I'm generally not a fan. I actually dyed all the contrast stitching, so now I love it :smile:

I think it would really depend on the person whether the leather is too thin. It's definitely different from a florentine bag, and of course, it is much thinner than dillen leather. I think mine is fine, I love that it is probably lighter due to the leather being thinner than florentine perhaps? But it is not noticeably thin to me, like it's going to be punctured or wear through or anything. Maybe it is as thin as non-Dooney, department store bags is what they mean. But I think that is what makes it lighter, which is a pro for me. I believe it can also go out in the rain, but don't quote me on that. The only thing I didn't like as much was simply the contrast stitching - I'm generally not a fan. I actually dyed all the contrast stitching, so now I love it :smile:
Pebble leather is fine in the rain and snow. Just wipe it dry when you get home and let it air dry before putting it away. Pebbled leather and all weather leather ( a premium form of pebble leather) are the most weather friendly leathers.... unless they are trimmed with vachetta, Florentine, or other smooth leathers. Then the pebbled leather part of the bag has no problem in the rain, but the trim can become spotted.

Pebble leather is fine in the rain and snow. Just wipe it dry when you get home and let it air dry before putting it away. Pebbled leather and all weather leather ( a premium form of pebble leather) are the most weather friendly leathers.... unless they are trimmed with vachetta, Florentine, or other smooth leathers. Then the pebbled leather part of the bag has no problem in the rain, but the trim can become spotted.
Thanks for the tip! I'm assuming that means I don't need to treat the pebbled leather at all? Just any non-pebble trim to protect from rain? I know that's kind of a stupid question, I just want to be extra sure. I never babied any of my bags before, but I've only recently gotten into Dooneys, and I want them all to look as nice as possible.

Oh, I don't know if this helps, but I guess I should add that I do see why some may have said the leather seemed "too thin" - like, this isn't a bag where I love it because of the lusciousness of the leather - at all. I'm glad it's decent quality leather, but it doesn't feel very high end. The overall look reminds me of a motorcycle jacket - it's got that soft shine to it. Some might call me crazy, but to me, that kind of look to the leather, the shiny hardware plus shiny plaque, and the little flashes of red with the tassels were noticeable enough details for me, the yellowish contrast stitching in addition to that was just too much for me, made it a little too "flashy" for me personally. I think that's why I wanted to dye the contrast stitching, it was just my personal taste, it was not that it made the bag ugly or anything. So I dyed the contrast stitching dark brown, and it kind of matches the dark brown whipstitching on the handles - that with the hardware and the flashes of red in the tassels seem perfect for me, and I love that this could be a great day-to-day bag that I don't have to baby and isn't too heavy. I also like that additional piece of leather forming the bottom of the bag, it should give it extra structural support.

Thanks for the tip! I'm assuming that means I don't need to treat the pebbled leather at all? Just any non-pebble trim to protect from rain? I know that's kind of a stupid question, I just want to be extra sure. I never babied any of my bags before, but I've only recently gotten into Dooneys, and I want them all to look as nice as possible.
I don't think you need to treat pebbled leather. As a matter of fact, Dooney says treatments interfere with the pebbling in some of their leathers (all weather leather, where the pebbling is created by shrinking the leather). They claim that oils and lotions relax the leather and it looses it's pebbling.
As an additional note, Dooney says you can wash off dirt on pebbled leather with water, mild soap, and a soft cloth.

I don't think you need to treat pebbled leather. As a matter of fact, Dooney says treatments interfere with the pebbling in some of their leathers (all weather leather, where the pebbling is created by shrinking the leather). They claim that oils and lotions relax the leather and it looses it's pebbling.
As an additional note, Dooney says you can wash off dirt on pebbled leather with water, mild soap, and a soft cloth.
Thanks for the info! :biggrin:

Okay, some cons about the calf satchel that I noticed today (well, I still love it, but this could be a nice FYI for others): because the leather is thinner, it doesn't hold it's shape as well except for the bottom - it does sag a bit more in shape if it's not full of stuff. But the main con is this - at least with my strap, any time I try to adjust the length, thin strips of black....leather? edge coat? come off! Thankfully it looks the same, still black - but I'm not going to adjust the length or double the strap or anything, because enough of those strips have already come away from the strap.

That
Thanks for the info! :biggrin:

Okay, some cons about the calf satchel that I noticed today (well, I still love it, but this could be a nice FYI for others): because the leather is thinner, it doesn't hold it's shape as well except for the bottom - it does sag a bit more in shape if it's not full of stuff. But the main con is this - at least with my strap, any time I try to adjust the length, thin strips of black....leather? edge coat? come off! Thankfully it looks the same, still black - but I'm not going to adjust the length or double the strap or anything, because enough of those strips have already come away from the strap.
The strap should not be shedding like that. I don't know if Dooney will replace it (if this was a new purchase), if you changed the color of the stitching. You might call CS.