I know this might be a stupid idea but how do i get my kitten to listen to me?

wigglytuff

Love & Hermes
O.G.
Aug 10, 2008
Hello,

We just a got a kitten almost 2 weeks ago. i HOPED he would listen to me but he wont. he LOVES jumping on the laptop. and i am afraid to spray him because i dont want to wet the laptop. what to do.

kittens (and cats) kind of do what they want...that is the major difference between cats and dogs...my kittens do the same thing to me...i actually like it because they just want my attention...the only advice i can give is to kepp removing him from the computer each time he does it...put him next to you on the couch and pet him...give him positive reinforcement always...negative (like spraying him) will def turn him off and may even make him avoid you which yu dont want...cats are cats....they kind of have their own mind and are very independent animals....love will get you everywhere with them,,,punishment nowhere...
keep with the positive if you take him off and he stays off...just keep that up and he should get the hint....

As zoesma said, cats are very independent animals. My cat who's 15 now still doesn't listen to me. I agree that the best thing to do is be repetitive and as he grows older, things will definitely disinterest him more. He's just like a curious little kid.

When my two cats were babies they responded very well to language spoken in higher registers with a sort of sing-song intonation. I don't know what it is, but they will do most things I ask of them if I sort of sing it. I know it sounds nuts but it works for us.

You can use "NO", a tone of voice change and a finger shake, much like with a puppy, as well as removing the kitten from the area you don't want him to go to. It does work, I raised all three of my cats like dogs and they sit, come when called, etc. (it's true!).
You can also put doublesided tape on the laptop and on the desk around the laptop, so if he jumps on it when you are not there he will get sticky paws and we know how much kitties don't like that!

When your kitten jumps on your laptop, say 'NO' in a sharp tone and take him off it - he does it because he wants attention. When he comes to you and do not jump on your laptop make sure you praise him and gives him the attention he wants - he'll quickly learn how to approach you for the best feedback from you. It's important you do notice him when he's behaving, negative feedback is better than no feedback and if you forget, he will keep getting into places he is not supposed to.

Oh, and he will - eventually - listen to you but right now he is a kitten and needs lots of attention from you since being removed from all of his playmates/mom. You should consider getting a playmate for him ... :smile:

i agree with the playmate idea....my kittens keep themselves busy and mostly out of trouble because they take their energy out on each other...plus he will have a great friend...kittens do better with two at a time...that is what the research i did said before we got two...originally we were set on one but it was better to get the two together...and they are so much fun to watch...

Good luck trying to tell a cat 'no' and then moving him. Cats are pretty stubborn and if they want to do something, they are going to do it. So you can always try shaking a soda can that has some change in it. It's a pretty loud sound that will get his attention. Shake that behind him when he is getting close to your laptop and he should skedadle right off.
It has worked for keeping my cats off of counters pretty well. Although I am pretty sure they have just learned to not be up on the counters when I am home, because I have seen some pawprints up there.

^ Yup, I used the same method (the "NO" and moving them) for keeping my three off the counters, tables and stove and it works. I have very shiny surfaces so pawprints and cat hair would show. They haven't been up where they shouldn't be probably since they were 6 or 7 months old. So yes, it takes a while to train them (in my case, a couple months as opposed to a dog who would get it in a couple days) but totally worth it!

thanks for the advise!!!

i know he is a cat. i ended up straying him and now all i do is keep the spray bottle near and look at when he trys to get on the laptop. i do like you say and offer positive re-enforcement when he sits next to me. treats, praise and general not spraying. he is a sweet cat, i THINK he knows his name but he ignores us when he call him.

thanks for the advise!!!

i know he is a cat. i ended up straying him and now all i do is keep the spray bottle near and look at when he trys to get on the laptop. i do like you say and offer positive re-enforcement when he sits next to me. treats, praise and general not spraying. he is a sweet cat, i THINK he knows his name but he ignores us when he call him.

^^ LOL< typical cat behavior :lolots:

thanks for the advise!!!

You know the saying 'Dogs come when they called - cats take a message and get back to you later' :biggrin: he's just being a cat!

my kittens dont listen to us either when we call them...but they sure do come a runnin' when they hear me open the gate to where their food is!!!!! huh....can you say "selective hearing"???? lol!!!

My cats come when I call them. I do not know why. They will not stay off the counters though so I gave in. I have to put their kibble in the oven otherwise they rip the bag. Also human snacks too.