I just went to see Swan Lake on ice, and there were babies there >>

I hate that! I wouldn't even take my daughter to a kid's movie until I was sure she would be able to sit quietly through it.

As far as answering the original question as to why someone would do that, probably the same reason a family of 4 took their 2 kids (ages 8 and 3-4) to see the last installment of the Matrix series at an IMAX theater for a 10:30 pm show that ended after midnight! Talk about inappropriate on many different levels - dh and I were baffled and pretty disgusted by that one! And the poor 4 year old was exhausted, grossed out and wouldn't sit in her seat for more than 2 minutes at a clip. Ruined it for everyone . . .

That's totally annoying and it makes me think the parents were too cheap or too clingy to let their babies go for the night. Or they dont' recognize the significance of their own time (and infringing on others right to have a peaceful time at the ballet). Sorry you had to sit through crying!

My SO and I were at an evening showing of the HILLS HAVE EYES II, a rated R horror movie, and this couple had brought at least 3 or 4 kids:

2 little girls, ages apx. 4-6
1 young baby, maybe 6 months?
1 9 year old boy

They were such brats (except for the older boy...he just sat and watched the movie).

I had enough...I went and told a movie theater employee.

They ROCKED! They went into the theater and told the parents that their kids needed to sit down (they had been RUNNING all over the theater!!) and be quiet or they needed to leave.

THen a manager and an police officer stayed in the theater for about an hour to make sure the parents got their kids to shut up!

It was great! When we were leaving, I made sure to get eye contact with the father and give him a very disapproving look...he looked soooooooooooo mad!!

My SO and I were at an evening showing of the HILLS HAVE EYES II, a rated R horror movie, and this couple had brought at least 3 or 4 kids:

1 9 year old boy

They were such brats (except for the older boy...he just sat and watched the movie).

They ROCKED! They went into the theater and told the parents that their kids needed to sit down (they had been RUNNING all over the theater!!) and be quiet or they needed to leave.

THen a manager and an police officer stayed in the theater for about an hour to make sure the parents got their kids to shut up!

It was great! When we were leaving, I made sure to get eye contact with the father and give him a very disapproving look...he looked soooooooooooo mad!!

well, actually I am not sure they are brats - this is what they do at that age - attention span is short.... the parents are just dumb. I don't get how they let them in the movie theatre in the first place, if this is a horror movie???

This is just crazy!! I have 2 boys 15 and 3. The first time I took my 15 year old to the movies was to see Lion King. It was a 12:00 showing and he was 5. My 3 year old still hasn't seen a movie in a theater!! But a ballet, on ice or not??? Ok, umm NO! NOT appropriate at all!

Couturegrl, that is great! I'm glad they are doing things like that in some places. It really shocks me some of the movies people will take small children to. Little children should not go to any movies but children's movies. I can't remember the name of the movie, but a few years ago there was some movie with DMX in it and these two little boys were next to me spilling candy all over and they knew all the lyrics to the songs and stuff. It was scary.

Parents who bring their children to inappropriate venues or at inappropriate times are just plain selfish. They are thinking of their own needs to watch a ballet, film etc and are definitely not thinking of the other patrons. They are also not thinking of their children's comfort.

I have two small boys and I wouldn't think of taking them to see a film etc. I wouldn't be able to enjoy the film, my children certainly could never behave and keep quiet for everyone else's pleasure. I'll be dying of embarrassment at all the dirty looks I'd be getting. Complete nightmare! LOL

1 9 year old boy

I can't believe they'd bring their kids to that!! I saw the first one on DVD and I thought the movie was wayyy too gruesome for me! :cursing: