I just got this message from a seller. Help!

What I did, since I Was having issues with paypal and PESONAL money problems ( and that is why I was selling on ebay anyways) I refunded the original payment, sent a REQUEST For funds invoice to the buyer and the paypal funds were not on hold! I had my money, ONLY ebay transactions were held!!
BTW, karmenzsofia, sometimes $hit happens the money is simply not there for basic needs. "sometimes" people have husbands that do not give their wives any money for food, gas, clothing for the kids for schools, etc. I sell on ebay to bridge that gap. Je takes care of the house, and utilities and his gambling addiction and I pay for the others.
I recently opened a ebay account on my own and ALL my funds were held. I had NO cash lying around to pay for the shipping. The little money I did have had to go to groceries and gas. So your comment, I took a *little* personal!
But I know when I get some feedback, I will go back to earning the income I was. Its is just right noe, it is really tight for us.
Ebay is the best job I have ever have
OP, maybe as the seller to refund your money and do a request for money and not to mention ebay.
*off my soapbox***

I agree with you 100%. Not everybody that sells on eBay are millionaires or wealthy. Therefore, for the majority of us, the sole reason we sell on eBay is to GET/EARN money.

Right now, while I am unemployed, money is tight for us. We have to budget for every single penny right now. It sucks, but that's how it is. If I sell something, especially of that value, on eBay—if I had to pay out of my pocket for expensive shipping (which always includes a sig confirmation & insurance), then yes, that gets expensive and stressful.

I think in this economy, anybody who is secure financially is LUCKY! They may have planned well or they're just earning a good living. For some of us right now, that's not possible.

Please, let's be a little more sympathetic to other people in this forum, not necessarily in your financial boat. Thanks!

"if someone can't afford to mail a package unless they deposit the money from the sale, they shouldn't be selling on fEeBay"

This comment wasn't directed at any particular person, so it wan't intended to be personal. It is an opinion about a business practice. I wasn't referring to $50-$75 shipments to other countries but to $10-$15 shipments. Selling an item that needs to be mailed, means--to me--I better have the shipping money at hand, even though I'm receiving money from the sale. It's just an opinion. So I'm sorry if that didn't come through. You address me in particular in your comments, so they seem personal and I should respond. You are wrong in assuming that I'm financially "lucky" or in a comfortable "financial boat." I happen to be in trouble myself, beyond what you can imagine. So I wasn't looking down on those who have financial problems, but I'm also not looking down on those who don't. Just wanted to clear the air. :smile:

What ridiculousness is this?
A new and exciting rule?
How ridiculous. Does this only apply to newbies on eBay? I'd be in the dump if they did this to me.....:faint:

I would also like to add that I don't think that shipping costs need to be on hand in order to sell on eBay. Some keep their ebay practices completely separate from their daily living and not meld the two. It's just amazing you have sold an item yet don't have the monies right away.
I'm wondering if sellers' have any rights anymore in any arena....

Last edited:
Here is what I am wondering-- do you get an email from paypal regarding the hold on the funds? I have sold several things lately and have not received any warning about this, and I have been able to transfer funds into my bank account. Does this mean I am off the hook with this particular nonsense?

It would make a lot more sense to warn sellers when they list an item that they should be prepared to ship without immediate reciept of funds for the item. Maybe educate sellers on the new process before they begin the auction, much like the VERO warning that comes up when you list certain brands. But that would make too much sense and eBay and Paypal aren't making much sense these days.

I agree with other posters that this really shouldn't be something that your seller is complaining to you about. At the same time, in my other life I am a sales manager for a very large sales force (600+) and know that the economy is very, very tight right now. People are working to try to pay back-to-school expenses, while also making allowances within their budgets for the increased price of gas and food, etc., many expenses they weren't concerned about just a few months ago. Your seller is new to eBay and probably thought selling a few extra items would be a great way to make up the difference between her paycheck and the month, but is not familiar with all the *bunk* going on at eBay right now.

My suggestion would be to respond kindly that it might be best to do a mutual withdrawl on this transaction. Then suggest she sell some less expensive items to accumulate funds in her Paypal account that will cover shipping costs for her more expensive items. In any case, she will have some up-front expenses for shipping to get her eBay selling going. Situations like this aren't really our problem as buyers, but do present an opportunity to help someone with less selling experience to become better sellers.