I just found a 2006 at a department store? i'm puzzled

I think it could be an inventory situation. Do you remember when I wanted an ink city and although they had long been sold out, my husband called our local store to see if they had one (he didn't know any better). Turned out that their buyer was in NYC at the time meeting with Balenciaga and asked them and they had one sitting in a warehouse unopened and brand spanking new. So this could just be bad inventory management on the part of Balenciaga. Lucky for us though.

forgot to add that '06 would be Chevre (goatskin) leather, whereas all 08 bags are Agneau (lambskin). the theory is that Balenciaga may have switched to Agneau because they are producing more bags and lambskin could be a cheaper option than goatskin. if you do a search, you'll find more info on this goatskin vs. lambskin topic.

ps. your daughter (pic in your avatar) is so cute!

^if i'm not wrong, most of 07 leathers are chevre. except violet or some of 07's f/w colours... search the chevre vs agneau threads to verify.

hah. when i first joined the forum, 06 leathers were notorious. then 07 ones have fading issues. guess it's the test of time :shrugs:

Black bags usually survive the ups and downs of leather pretty well through every season. Then there are the occasional, rare finds of a "misplaced" popular color like '05 magenta, or a nice grenat or something in a retail store. Otherwise, the leftovers are often that. People who bought bags in the years prior to 2006 were used to a certain product and look, and many (not all) didn't like a lot (not all) of the leather, and the new "veininess" of it. They didn't buy and a lot of 2006 bags weren't sold as a result. 2007 was an improvement from that point of view, for the most part, and the bags were still mostly goat leather, which really matters to a lot of people. Times and taste change with new fans. Some people are really into the 2006 look, or just want a goat skin bag, and are rediscovering the older bags left in the stores. It's great if you find one you like at retail instead of twice that on ebay.

I first noticed the black leather quite different then that of an 08 or 07. The leather was jet black with no distressing, exactly as women in the forum describe the 06 leather. The SA told me they just got the shipment in and she swears it has to be an 08. I wrote down the numbers, came home, and started researching what I had just seen.

The numbers are N 4395 Y (y= 2006, right? ) how could this be??

Anyone have any idea how a 06 got back in rotation in 08 at a reputable department store??
If you decide you don't want that baby, can you post the exact department store where it is or in the balenciaga finds thread!!!!?!?!?!?!?!
:yahoo:

^if i'm not wrong, most of 07 leathers are chevre. except violet or some of 07's f/w colours... search the chevre vs agneau threads to verify.

hah. when i first joined the forum, 06 leathers were notorious. then 07 ones have fading issues. guess it's the test of time :shrugs:

Seems like the "time marching forward theme" reveals that the older years (like 2006, which used to be looked down upon as not as good as earlier years) just seem to get better and better than Bal's latest sources-- the veiny thin dry agneau i.e. lambskin they seem to be using now.
I wish they would go back to chevre (goatskin)!!

Wow, I just learnt something new. I also saw a super smooth, almost no veins at all in black recently. I thought that was strange why it was so different from others. I guess it was old stock as well.