I just found a 2006 at a department store? i'm puzzled

mama b

O.G.
Oct 1, 2006
I first noticed the black leather quite different then that of an 08 or 07. The leather was jet black with no distressing, exactly as women in the forum describe the 06 leather. The SA told me they just got the shipment in and she swears it has to be an 08. I wrote down the numbers, came home, and started researching what I had just seen.

The numbers are N 4395 Y (y= 2006, right? ) how could this be??

Anyone have any idea how a 06 got back in rotation in 08 at a reputable department store??

Yup, Y is definitely 06. Stores can have older Bbags (recently all sorts of oldies have been popping up at BalNY and BalLA -- a PFer even found an '05 Bordeaux in '08!) -- just a matter of whether or not they have the one you want ;)

Thanks Jira, that's a little more settling to hear. I thought someone just held on to it for 2+ years then decided she wanted to return it.:wtf:

It was gorgeous leather to finally see IRL. Im going back for it!

no, a department store would most definitely not take back a bag that was sold 2+ years ago. But yea..alot of stores just keep past bags that have not sold around until they are, haha!

Goodluck and please be sure to post pics when you get the bag.

There were a lot of left over 2006 bags, so it isn't that surprising one has been kicking around in the system at a department store, or that a lot of the department store SA's wouldn't know the difference or how to find out. I still think the bag found at NM was a grenat. NM doesn't go by the Balenciaga color names, and names the colors with its own internal system. As to 2007, that wasn't that long ago, and they make a lot more bags now, so it isn't surprising to find one.

^^ yep, this kind of thing happens all the time...i was in "barney's" last week & told them i wanted to see a black GGH city from '07...the SA's told me "sorry, but they're all from '08, we only have current seasons bags"...i told them i'm a collector & that the '07's had different leather ("chevre") & that the '08's were "agneau"...i asked nicely if they could check the stock room for me & they kept insisting the bags were "all the same"...finally, i got one of them to check for me & they returned with 2 '07 "chevre" bags...we all felt the bags & they agreed that the '07's were totally different...they apologized & thanked me for the lesson (lol!!!)...also, during the summer of '06, BALNY got shipments of '05 magenta & bordeaux...i used to have 2 '06 black firsts & they were both gorgeous...definitely post photos after you get back!!! :tup:

i have seen alot of o6 bags at the NM i go to. they've sold most of them now, but they still have quite a few.

oh and that bordeaux found at NM was the one i go to and it's NOT bordeaux, it's definitely o6 grenat :jammin:

I remember the late discovered '05 magenta bags, from a BAL warehouse or something. That was a really RARE event. AR and BALNY have been selling off remaining 2006 bags for ages, so that isn't new. Black is made every season, so the idea of leftovers seems pretty reasonable, especially as recent as 2007. I haven't loved most of the '08 black bags, so I'd be glad to find one from last year.

I had the same experience last year with NM...a SA who wouldn't look me for a different black city. He said no these are not "old and their all the same." I said that's too bad because I was looking for a "past" season with different leather. He said we do not have "old" bags these are new. He clearly didnt get it and I left.

:yes: yep, this is a 06 black first from Barneys.

:heart: thanks ladies for your help:heart:

Wow, this is great to hear, previous seasons' bags usually go for a premium on ebay or other resellers, glad to know if you try hard enough, one of your HG bags from previous seasons might just be available. :tup: