I hope I'm not wrong...

Bradysmum

Carter and Evan too!
Jan 12, 2007
I recently bough (and am waiting delivery of) a Speedy 25 off of ebay that was made in 1990. It is in AMAZING condition and I got it for only $75.

A fellow LV lover asked me if I was crazy buying it saying why would I waste my money on something that old. As I said, it is in very good shape for the age from what I can see. I am excited about it.

Did I make a mistake?

here is a link to the bag:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350324259903&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Get yourself a big bag of baby wipes, and scrub and scrub it. I think that you can really clean that up a lot. And it has a new zipper pull- and there really doesn't seem to be any real damage.
I say good buy, and clean the heck out of it.
I bought a fixer upper speedy from that same seller, and it was SO dirty. Everytime I wiped the canvas layers and layers of grime came off. When I got it clean, it looked great, and I resold it for a $100 profit!
And for $78? I say good deal!

It's how you feel about the bag that matters. Congrats on your first LV. According to the date code, I think it's from 1981. For that price I think you got a good deal.

There are lots of threads on how to resurrect really vintage bags with some TLC. Maybe take a look through those for some ideas.

^agree with the babywipes. If you love the bag, that's all that matters. Why do we place so much importance on other people's opinions?

This is just me, but I can't buy pre-loved items. I am so neurotic about other people's habits that I would never be comfortable with it. I'd rather save my money and buy new; it's one of the reasons I HATE when people buy, then return/exchange.

Get yourself a big bag of baby wipes, and scrub and scrub it. I think that you can really clean that up a lot. And it has a new zipper pull- and there really doesn't seem to be any real damage.
I say good buy, and clean the heck out of it.
I bought a fixer upper speedy from that same seller, and it was SO dirty. Everytime I wiped the canvas layers and layers of grime came off. When I got it clean, it looked great, and I resold it for a $100 profit!
And for $78? I say good deal!

Thanks for the advice, I have lots of baby wipes with 3 kids around the house.

Ya' know I am the one that is normally bothered by old bags that are dirty...but something about this little Speedy 25 is so endearing. I think you got a fabulous buy on a fabulous oldie! Enjoy your new-to-you bag in good health my dear.

I heard that LV's canvas was much thicker on the vintage pieces so that is a plus. The handles and the rest of the leather look really dark though. Since you got such a bargain on the bag, perhaps you may want to think about replacing the handles and the little pull tabs at the end. I estimate that it would cost around $225 to change those. Then you would have a pretty new bag with the vintage thicker canvas...win win. :tup: