I haven't listed items for sale on eBay in over 2 years, do I start again?

smallfry

My Sweet Angel
O.G.
Dec 18, 2005
I last listed and sold in 2018! I decided to stop using eBay as a selling platform out of fear of scammers. I'm now listing a few designer items in the $150 - $500 range, and am still afraid of scammers, but am using the "best offer" feature to hopefully weed them out.

I just recently noticed that some in this forum are mentioning that eBay has requested their SSN. There is no way I would provide that to them! I'm not a business seller, and as I've mentioned, hardly sell at all. Will I have to provide additional information to them if I do make a sale?

I apologize if this has been discussed and also apologize for not searching eBay for the answers. Thank you in advance for any thoughts :flowers:

Edited to add that I did some searching and think that I would only need to provide my SSN if I agree to their Managed Payments.

Last edited:
It’s my understanding that Managed Payments is not a choice. You *must* sign up for it and provide all the info eBay wants (including SSN) if you want to be able to access the funds from the items you sell.

I haven’t actually signed up for Managed Payments, but that was my takeaway from the email eBay sent me.

If I’m wrong I’d like to know.

I'm thinking of the same, so although I have no advice, I will watching this thread.

Good luck @smallfry
Thank you @papertiger!
It’s my understanding that Managed Payments is not a choice. You *must* sign up for it and provide all the info eBay wants (including SSN) if you want to be able to access the funds from the items you sell.

I haven’t actually signed up for Managed Payments, but that was my takeaway from the email eBay sent me.

Eeek, hope I don't get that sign-up email! Thanks @Annawakes!

• Love
Reactions: RT1

This is just me thinking out loud, but I wonder if this has to do with the fact that the sales are now taxed, and as such, reportable to the IRS?

Me, I'm done selling on eBay. :annoyed:

I deleted my active ebay listings instead of signing up for Managed Payments. Probably an overreaction to the SSN requirement but I want to see how it works out for others first.

Myself, I do not see this as an overreaction. :no: The one and only reason they want/need your SSN is for the IRS reporting.

• Love
Reactions: smallfry
Myself, I do not see this as an overreaction. :no: The one and only reason they want/need your SSN is for the IRS reporting.

According to the FAQ, ebay only issues a 1099 if you have 200+ transactions or $20k in sales in a calendar year, neither of which describes my selling activity. So asking me to provide my SSN is really unnecessary.

• Love
Reactions: Annawakes and RT1
According to the FAQ, ebay only issues a 1099 if you have 200+ transactions or $20k in sales in a calendar year, neither of which describes my selling activity. So asking me to provide my SSN is really unnecessary.
So it would seem to be!
I'm still done with them.....I've not had any luck selling anything there lately.
All I get are "watchers."

I last listed and sold in 2018! I decided to stop using eBay as a selling platform out of fear of scammers. I'm now listing a few designer items in the $150 - $500 range, and am still afraid of scammers, but am using the "best offer" feature to hopefully weed them out.

I just recently noticed that some in this forum are mentioning that eBay has requested their SSN. There is no way I would provide that to them! I'm not a business seller, and as I've mentioned, hardly sell at all. Will I have to provide additional information to them if I do make a sale?

I apologize if this has been discussed and also apologize for not searching eBay for the answers. Thank you in advance for any thoughts :flowers:

Edited to add that I did some searching and think that I would only need to provide my SSN if I agree to their Managed Payments.
Starting in 2021 your SSN will be required. If you have items to sell, post them now and try to get them sold before the new year. I had two items posted that thankfully sold this month. I am not giving them or PayPal my SSN. PayPal will also keep their entire fee if you have a return or cancellation after payment.

I only use BIN with best offer. So far I have sold all my luxury items this way with no issues. I'm not selling on eBay after this year. I will just use consignment shops online.

Starting in 2021 your SSN will be required. If you have items to sell, post them now and try to get them sold before the new year. I had two items posted that thankfully sold this month. I am not giving them or PayPal my SSN. PayPal will also keep their entire fee if you have a return or cancellation after payment.

I only use BIN with best offer. So far I have sold all my luxury items this way with no issues. I'm not selling on eBay after this year. I will just use consignment shops online.
Same. I hope everything I have sells before the new year. I‘ve had a couple of good months lately and really hate to see it end.

Reactions: beekmanhill