I have no idea about jewelry..what should I buy??

alison13

Dec 28, 2007
Hi, I have no idea about jewelry. I would like to buy some things to wear every day and some stuff for going out. One thing on my list is a watch. I'm looking to spend under 300 for it. I've seen some nice Michael Kors watches, but I don't know if there just priced higher because of the brand, or if its actually a good watch. Price limit for jewerly..think around betsey johnson prices and under. I'm not picky at all..forever 21 stuff is fine with me as well(expect I don't know what I'm doing in there and I don't want to purchase stuff like I got it off the rack at the dollar store). Ive seen some of you ladies pull off awesome looks with some low priced items. How do you do it LOL.

How do you shop for your jewerly? How do you know whats a good deal, whats real, ETC?

Thanks everyone. I tried to google some stuff about jewelry and again..I was lost.

Hi, I have no idea about jewelry. I would like to buy some things to wear every day and some stuff for going out. One thing on my list is a watch. I'm looking to spend under 300 for it. I've seen some nice Michael Kors watches, but I don't know if there just priced higher because of the brand, or if its actually a good watch. Price limit for jewerly..think around betsey johnson prices and under. I'm not picky at all..forever 21 stuff is fine with me as well(expect I don't know what I'm doing in there and I don't want to purchase stuff like I got it off the rack at the dollar store). Ive seen some of you ladies pull off awesome looks with some low priced items. How do you do it LOL.

How do you shop for your jewerly? How do you know whats a good deal, whats real, ETC?

Thanks everyone. I tried to google some stuff about jewelry and again..I was lost.
Tiffany & Co always has some GREAT stuff IMO... they have some nice silver jewelry (if thats the look your going for) and some nice gold casual jewelry too... I think it depends on what you wear... you should check out their site... Good Luck deciding! :tup: otherwise there is this www.tinatang.com that another girl on here recommended and I think their jewelry is really pretty and at a good price too for everday wear and tear...

Jewelry is something you should invest in. I can tell you, that after being in a sorority, living in Manhattan and following regular trends, I find myself every 2 years going through my jewelry drawer saying, what was I thinking??? I just gave about 30 pieces away to my 4 year old niece for dress up. As you get in your late 20's you realize all of this costume stuff really is junk. It breaks, tarnishes, goes out of style...what a waste of money! Imagine if you had bought 1 or 2 classic pieces. They never go out of style. My adivce is buy what you can afford, but save for it. Jewelry is meant to be a splurge. What fun is it to throw down 10k for a diamond incrusted necklace? Sure it would be nice, but jewelry is meant to be special. This year, treat yourself for your birthday to a nice piece. Save $20 a month, or whatever your budget will allow. Then you will really feel like a princess when you get your piece of jewelry. You will feel like you worked hard for it and you DESERVE it! Good luck and enjoy!

Well, I'd start w/ basic things. Like a watch, for instance, stud earrings in gemstones or your birthstone, a pair of pearl studs, etc.

Depending on your color preferences or your birthstone, you could get a pair of nice stud earrings for a very reasonable price- less than $100.

This is a really neat little set- a few different stones, not huge carat weights and set in sterling (so less costly than gold):

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail

Also, on the note of Tiffany, you are paying for the name, as I'm sure you know. If you just like sterling silver, I think you can find that look elsewhere w/o the Tiffany price, unless you really want that item, KWIM? I'd also look on some other sites w/ a wide variety to see what you like, such as ice.com, bluenile.com, and even overstock.com. I know some people have had not so hot luck w/ overstock, but I have a set of peridot studs from there that are just fine and were a very good price. I think I might have a pair of black freshwater pearl earrings from there as well. I think QVC has some great prices and their settings and gemstones are actually done really well.

For watches, I would likely go w/ a more traditional brand than Michael Kors, unless you love it. Citizens and Bulova make some great watches in your price range and they hold up well.

If you're interested in trendy pieces, Forever 21 is fine...because after you turn 21, its likely you will want to throw it out ;) Be cheap with the trendy things, and like others said, save up for the major pieces that you could have for a lifetime, like a really nice watch.

supersash is correct - either forever21 or major pieces. I was once in my mid-20's given a private tour of Neiman Marcus Fine Jewelry Department. It was educational with regard to the watches and major pieces needed to create a solid collection.

Enjoy.

If your budget is limited at the moment, it's not a bad idea to get just a couple of paste or costume or just inexpensive non-flashy pieces to tide you over as you amass your real collection.

Some things that you might consider at the early stage of your collection:

Fake pearl studs - get them quite large and make sure they're white, not that yellowy colour;
Simple silver studs - again, get them quite large, make more of a statement
Silver chunky link bracelet - doesn't have to be Tiffanys, you are paying for the name;
Stainless steel watch in a classic shape i.e. Tank style.

These pieces will look classy while not actually breaking the bank. They should last you a long time, and in the interim, you can save regularly for your more major statement pieces.

I have been collecting jewelry since I was 13, even at that age I didn't want junk. I amassed a huge Sterling Silver jewelry collection. Of course it wasn't gold but it wasn't cheap either. If you don't like the way it tarnishes try getting sterling silver plated with Rhodium. It looks like white gold without having to pull out the dreaded polishing cloth.

My pointers is if you want a fun collection invest in designer costume jewelry: start off with a Dior, D&G Dolce Gabbana, etc. That way if you don't like it 8 years from now you can sell it but still get a nice return to buy other jewelry.

Stay away from cheap jewelry, you do better buying a sterling silver piece (at least it will last you forever). If you must go cheaper jewelry go for example with glass pearls not plastic. Stainless steel jewelry is good too.

When you start getting into the nice stuff (platinum, gold). Don't go for simple, go for unique (not to be confused with outrageous). I have a great jewelry pullout from Harpers Bazaar that simple jewelry is not the future of jewelry design. Buy jewelry with personality and that will be unique to you. Look for unusual designs in rings, necklaces etc. maybe a interesting stone color, design etc. I will try to scan the article in.

Hi Alison! Like you, I'm starting to get interested in jewelry. I've been trying to build a wardrobe of staple pieces for a little while now, so maybe my experience will be helpful to you.
Things I wear on a daily basis or several times a week:
- a watch. Mine is by Swiss Army, cost about $400 IIRC, and has served me well. It's very classic and discreet.
- diamond studs. Mine are (I think) 1 ct.tw. and were a graduation gift so I don't know how much they cost, but Ice.com has styles starting at $85. Sure, they are small, but they are real and sparkly and if you look around, I think you'll find that a lot of women wear studs that are pretty small by "tPF" standards. These would be a great starter set.
- pearl studs. I get a lot of wear out of these, too. Pearlsonly.com has styles starting under $20.
- I also wear my pearl necklace and bracelet (not together) frequently. Try Pearlsonly for some affordable freshwater versions.
- I have silver ball studs from Tiffany's, but Bluenile.com has similar ones for less. Same for the Tiffany's graduated bead necklace.
- gold studs
Then, I added to this group with some more items:
- a couple of bracelets that are also appropriate for daily wear as well as some dressier ones
- some dangly earrings for special occasions
- small pendants for everyday
- big statement necklaces
For that second category, it's easier to mix in costume pieces. My opinion of costume jewelry is that it shouldn't try to be something it's not. I don't really go for a lot of rhinestone, fake-gold, etc. I prefer resin or wood generally. I have seen some really cute chunky necklaces at Forever 21, and HM has great earrings if you look hard enough. At this stage, I would say don't invest in costume jewelry unless it's something you really love and can see yourself wearing for a long time. Designer costume jewelry like Chanel or Dior may hold its value, but it may also be very trendy and you might not like it after a year or two. That being said, I have a Chanel pearl necklace that is 3 years old now and I wear it a lot, so you just have to pick and choose.
I would also recommend that you take it slow. Don't rush out and spend lots of money just to fill up your jewelry box because these can be expensive mistakes.
I know this is awfully long, I hope it helps. Enjoy!