I have driven myself INSANE trying to buy a gold bag! (looooooong)

daniela127

O.G.
Feb 6, 2007
So here is my story about the search for a gold bag:

I recently sold a gold Bulga butterfly bag on ebay. I loved the color, but the style to me seemed a little dated and I was sure I could find a replacement easily. Boy was I wrong!

The first one I tried out was the HH Havana Hobo (the HHHH, I guess) in soft gold. Now, here is the problem with gold leather, I think: whatever the manufacturers do to make it gold also makes it very cheap-looking and thin. So when I finally got the HHHH, it just did not look like a $400 bag. I LOVED the color but it wasn't worth it. So back it went. Total cost there was ~ $17 for shipping both ways. (On the plus side, I think someone snagged it at the HH SS for cheaper, so that good).

The next one I thought about the the Foley + Corinna mid city tote in platinum.
2571.jpg

I think Foley and Hayden must be sharing leathers, because it was the exact same problem - the leather felt VERY thin and cheap. Great color, though. My boyfriend commented that it looked like a $50 bag from Urban Outfitters (nothing wrong with that, but for $400 one expects a bag that looks like it's $400).

I then tried the RM no strings satchel in gold/whitewash.
t_314_01.jpg

I like the rosegold color, but the two-tone was not working for me.

Then I started looking at a gold trigger on bagborroworsteal.com. But they want $400 for it, and IMO a used trigger is worth $250, max. Also, I worried that I would have the same problem I had with my Bulga - it's not exactly a "classic" style and may get dated after a while.

So - I went searching on revolve and found three bags I liked. I ordered all three (links below) and hopefully one will be the one. If not I don't know what I'm going to do.
ANDA-WY12_V1.jpg

RNAS-WY31_V1.jpg

SEVE-WY19_V1.jpg

And, in the background, I know the gold bag I truly want:
yslgoldbag.jpg

too bad it's $2000!

Beautiful bags! I hope you find one you like! There is also a goldtone Coach bag if you're interested... it's the Metallic Carly and comes in two sizes...

the first is the slim metallic carly #11872 $548

11872_b4pl_a0_front

the second is the carly metallic #11870 $458
11870_b4pl_a0_front

Just a suggestion if your other bags don't work out!

I like the first bag you posted the best. But I guess it is all a personal decision. I hate shopping for a bag when I don't know exactly what I want. Ha.
Personally, I love the Devi Kroell bags...they are beautiful in gold, but quite pricey! I got the Target edition, it's cheap, but a good carry-on.

daniela - Did you know that there is a Rebecca Minkoff Morning After Mini in Rosegold? If you liked the leather/color but not the two-tone of the no-strings satchel, then maybe you should get the Morning After mini.

daniela - Did you know that there is a Rebecca Minkoff Morning After Mini in Rosegold? If you liked the leather/color but not the two-tone of the no-strings satchel, then maybe you should get the Morning After mini.

I do - my mom has it. I feel silly buying the same bag my mom does, and it's her only nice bag so I can't ask her for it. When she gets sick of it it will be mine though!

Update: my loot from revolve got here, and it's like goldilocks - one isn't gold enough, one isn't metallic enough, and one is a little too big. BUT I was flipping through Lucky this morning and saw an ad for Dooney & Burke - a brand I NEVER THOUGHT I would buy - and they had gold bags! So I ran over and picked one up. Now it's between the Seven bag and the D&B.

On the bright side, I have about 8 gold handbags sitting in my living room, hanging out and getting to know one another. My fiance thinks I'm insane.