I Have Bag Depression....

I been there before and i felt like it was taking over my life. Some people buy to collect so thats okay and some people buy what they will use. I decided that my home is just not big enough for me to line up bags that are LE that I just stare at :smile:

yea...nor do I have the bank account for that!!! I am not a 'collector' kind of person...I'm one of those people who goes through my house and purges crap out of it every month!!! Trinkets, knick knacks, etc. don't exist in my house!!!

twiggers- I kinda understand where you are coming from. I just let 4 bags go (no worries-they were not pochettes!) and I am regretting it just a little. I only carried them maybe 3-4 times a piece, but I did not think I would be able to let them go. I am not even using the $$ to fund another purse-yet anyway. I am just running out of room and told DH to get rid of them!

Who knows, I will probably buy them later on again--just because. I agree with you, it is an addiction

I am not a 'collector' kind of person...I'm one of those people who goes through my house and purges crap out of it every month!!! Trinkets, knick knacks, etc. don't exist in my house!!!

Ditto here .. this is what I was getting at with the new thread I just started but didn't think to write. I'm not a saver, I hate clutter. I'm someone that goes through my closet 1-2 times a year and if I haven't worn it, it's gone! I don't collect anything (well LV I guess sorta but you know what I mean) and have no desire to start!

I don't think there is anything wrong with having bags that you love, but don't use. I am that way with jewelry. I have some beautiful jewelry, but I tend to wear the same items for months on end.
I only have a tiny LV collection going, but I try to select items that I will use. I enforce a weekly bag rotation, mainly to get use out of the remaining coach and dooney bags I own.

I think if there are reasons you don't use them (like your example of speedy because the opening is too tight) then maybe you should move them on if it's other reasons like because they don''t fit with your wardrobe at the minute or weather (examples) etc. don't worry about it.

I've bought things where I've obessed over then for months sometimes even years then as soon as I get them I put them in my closet and forget about them for a little while. I don't think I'll sell my bags and sometimes I do feel bad that all don't get fair usage but at the same time when the time is right I know I'll have the perfect bag just sitting there waiting.

Hey Twiggers, I'm not quite in your situation because I have decided to sell off my bag collection to eliminate credit card debt (I had a much smaller collection than you, ie 5 bags, lol!), but I think I had a similar reaction to my bags - I had never found the perfect one and it made me queasy to think about how much money was sitting on my closet shelf! I had bags that I wanted to keep just because they were pretty and in no way functional. Well, a vase of daisies is pretty too but it doesn't cost $700+ to have it sit on your nightstand or dining room table! Here's my advice (and, again, I'm not in your position): if you have bags just sitting on your shelf, they're not doing anything for you. They're not making you happy, they're just sitting there. You could easily sell them and put that money into a savings account that could yield 4-5% interest, or an even better investment like a CD. That way when you find the *perfect* bag, you can easily afford it, and your money has been working for you up to that point. I know that people who have good incomes often don't feel the need to save money (it's poor grads like me that do!), but why not make money if you can? I am convinced (after a lot of money worries) that the worst advice that contemporary American women have gotten in the last 10 years is from Sex and the City: "I like my money where I can see it: hanging in my closet."

Naomi, I think that if you love the bags and are collecting then whats wrong with that ??. I have Never once used the Mercer I have, But I love to look at it, I use all my other bags. The way I see it is, I look after my bags and if I sold them they could go to someone who abuses them and that would be one less of that bag in the world when Its unusable...so We are doing a good thing really and some are such rare peices that we never may get the chance to own one again of that bag. Keep all your bags :flowers:

I know some women redesign a room so that all the bags can be put on display like a showroom. Maybe u can do that and make ur bags part of the decor as art pieces. Crazy idea I know, but i saw this show where this rich lady has many many birkins and kellys on display in a room, and another gal has a room like a LV store

I used to be a recycler, twigs. I got so sick of it...trying to find the perfect bag...buying then selling. I sold off my whole collection....including my khaki graffiti speedy, cerises speedy, CB retro, CB papillon, CB pochettes....I had it all!!! I found a huge sense of relief once they were gone. I think I just bought the damn bags because of the hype. Deep down, I didn't really LOVE them. I started fresh and I only have 4 LV's right now, but I LOVE each one of them and have a hard time choosing which one to use from day to day. I now own the bags that I absolutely LOVE and will USE. Much happier!!!

Oh Twiggers you are preaching to the choir! I am going through the exact same thing right now. I am selling alot of bags that I think are soooo pretty but I just don't use enough. I am purging and trying to narrow my collection down to bags I love AND use. But the collector in me still loves to look at bags I have like my Irvine Alligator that I'll probably never sell and just use maybe 2 - 3 times a year. Oh man, I have the same sickness. I want my bags to be functional as well as beautiful and as much as I love my speedies, I just don't use them much unless I'm traveling (Looking for that perfect khaki graffiti too!) I'm a mess.:nogood:

Ahhh shoo.....we can be a mess together!!!!! This is EXACTLY what I mean.....I keep hanging on because they're 'pretty' and 'collectible'.....UGH!
Then I get hubby remarking....'hmmm don't you have like 5 of those bags that look the same'....and dang he's right! Do I *NEED* 5 mono speedys at the same time???

DH doesn't say too much cause he actually likes some of my bags and the fact that he collects snare drums/kits keeps him pretty quiet about my obsession....my bags take up less room!

p.s. now I gotta get ready for church - what do you bet todays lesson will be about coveting?:lol:

I don't get bags to collect them. I get them to USE them. Same with clothes and shoes. Sure some are going to get worn more than others...I just don't see the point of spending loads of cash on a bag just to look at it.

I like the bag of the week idea, or just reorganizing and documenting the bags you have. It can give a whole new fresh perspective on our wonderful 'addiction.'

Twiggers-I think am going through the same bag funk too. Everytime I think I have found the "must have" bag it passes. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my collection but I have considered downsizing or at least 'setting free' pieces like the hearts, cerises, some pochettes, and a gorgeous leopard polly that I have NEVER used. They are just sitting in my closet. DH just recently let me get 3 more bags (the lockits and Kirsten) I thought I was desperate to have and I haven't used any of them. The Kirsten was soooooo small that I ended up returning it and now I am wondering about the lockits. But yet now I am completely obsessed with the black speedy mirage coming out. I am NOT a collector, but my LV bags I use (white MC Speedy, Black Alma, and denim baggy pm) I use ALOT. I get joy from looking at my bags but know that I could also use the money for other stuff or new bags.

I used to be a recycler, twigs. I got so sick of it...trying to find the perfect bag...buying then selling. I sold off my whole collection....including my khaki graffiti speedy, cerises speedy, CB retro, CB papillon, CB pochettes....I had it all!!! I found a huge sense of relief once they were gone. I think I just bought the damn bags because of the hype. Deep down, I didn't really LOVE them. I started fresh and I only have 4 LV's right now, but I LOVE each one of them and have a hard time choosing which one to use from day to day. I now own the bags that I absolutely LOVE and will USE. Much happier!!!

Oh, I agree, wholeheartedly. I think when I first started "collecting", I just *had* to get as much as I could, and I was obsessing pretty badly. Over time I sold some unneeded bags/accessories...it hurt, and I still miss them occasionally, but their presence was actually making me a little disgusted with myself. :sweatdrop: I couldn't use everything that I had bought, and I didn't like the damn bags just sitting there.

At this time I now pick and choose what I really love and/or what I really need. :idea: I also eliminated the "wishlist" notion entirely because it made me list bags that I wouldn't consider having when I really thought about it! If you love all the bags in your collection and if you can afford it, Twigs, there is no harm done. However, if you feel guilty and/or your sick of your bags for whatever reason, you should def. consider downsizing and keep the ones you truly love! It's really easy to get caught up in the hype with LE bags, esp. when LV always comes out with something new. But it's also important to keep things into perspective: Do you love the bag because you truly love it or do you love the bag because it's a Limited Edition LV bag? ;)