I have an idea!! (charity related)

Becca4277

www.petfinder.com
O.G.
Jan 3, 2006
There is a website I used to be a member of that would choose a charity every few months or so, and hold an auction for donations. Forum members would donate cool items from their part of the country, home-made items, etc. Then their would be an auction for each item. All proceeds would go to the charity chosen. It is fun because forum members would donate really cool/funny items, and people would bid it up in the name of charity. I would love to volunteer to head it up or help. We could take a vote on what charity we would donate to. I thought of this because of the sweetie pie members who offered items for free.

What do you all think? We may be obsessively shallow about our hand bag purchases (just repeating the thread title) but that does not mean we are not good people!!!!

Would love to learn more about this! I think its a fantastic idea! What is the website? I would totally be interested in pursuing this!!!! Great idea Becca!

oooo that is a really good idea.

i know what i'd donate! there's a really cool family-owned mill up where my boyfriend is from in the North Georgia mountains that makes woooooooonderful biscuit and pancake mixes, they're so yummy.

or i could donate one of the t-shirts they sell downtown that says "Athens, Georgia: the best 5 or 6 years of your life" which i think are hilarious (college town, get it?) but not everyone may appreciate, lol.

amanda said:
oooo that is a really good idea.

i know what i'd donate! there's a really cool family-owned mill up where my boyfriend is from in the North Georgia mountains that makes woooooooonderful biscuit and pancake mixes, they're so yummy.

or i could donate one of the t-shirts they sell downtown that says "Athens, Georgia: the best 5 or 6 years of your life" which i think are hilarious (college town, get it?) but not everyone may appreciate, lol.

Exactly!!! People could donate goodies from their part of the country!! Seriously it could be a lot of fun to see what people offer and what people bid on.

Actually I *JUST* was telling Vlad about this before... no joke!!! Just on Thursday he and I were talking about it. I would love to get involved... I have a soft spot for children's charities...

In order for this to work, it would obviously be on the honor system. One of the mods could accept the payment, then tell the seller to send the goods to the winning bidder. Once the auction closes and funds are collected, the mods can send a big fat check to a worthy charity. As PF members we can vote on what charity to send the $$ to. I bet we could raise at least $500. What do the Mod's think?

Oh I'm SURE we could raise more than $500! I'm also pretty sure you would be hard pressed to find a Mod or a Member that didn't at least agree w/ this idea!

Megs said:
Actually I *JUST* was telling Vlad about this before... no joke!!! Just on Thursday he and I were talking about it. I would love to get involved... I have a soft spot for children's charities...

Awesome! There are so many wonderful charities for children. One that is near and dear to my heart is the Ronald McDonald House (when my son was 6 months old he needed surgery that required us to travel to Philadelphia and they were a Godsend).

What would be cool about the auction is that you could donate anything! Local delicacies, handbags you no longer care for, handmade items (for those who knit). I guarentee that every item donated would be bid on!

Let's go for it!!! All we would need is a volunteer to collect funds and send payment to charity and for Vlad to set up a seperate section for the auction. We would have to set up time frames, of course. Say, May 1 to May 5th people would list thier items for auction. (Bidding would not be allowed at this point). Then at midnight on May 5th the bidding would start and end after 24 hours. Payment would be requested within 48 hours of the end of auction to the Mod's paypal account or money order. Seller would be required to ship within 48 hours. Then on say, May 20th, our awesome Purse Forum could present a big fat check to a deserving charity!!!!