I have a scammer hot on my tail

If he files a claim, just ask the UPS store to sign an affidavit about the item being in the box (the weight, packaging it there, etc). They have done this before (according to other forums). Your scammer will be guilty of mail fraud:
https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms/MailFraudComplaint.aspx
and UPS will blacklist him and no longer deliver to him.

You can calmly explain this to him and maybe he will back off. Good luck!

I had the same problem with this crazy lady from cali!! OMG she was such a *****!

They do this so they can get the bag for free, its a total scam, at first they act all innocent, and say "omg the box is empty" they will ask for a refund or if you can send some thing else that you sell..I hate scammers..

When this happened to me I freaked out, I actually belived her at first.. then they make a sob story so that you can refund them...

Luckly my mom is a really smart women.. She called the lady up, and she told her in a Judge Judy tone.. "OK if the box is really empty, send me the entire empty box with all the labels.." the lady freaked out, she was like "ohhh i didn't keep the box, i through it away with its papers..." my mom responded " Thanks for wasting my time, but you cant fool me" and then she hung up the phone... that means the ***** had her item and through the box away.. If she really got a empty box she would have kept the box, so that the mail service can investigate it..After that the scammer never called.... She ran away and tried someone else that she could fool....

In your case the idiot has no proof the box was empty, If he's still insisting to get a refund, do the same thing my mom did... Just tell him your local post office wants to investigate this matter immediately. Tell him to send the entire "empty" package back to You.... with all the labels.. the scammer will leave u alone, and know you are a smart seller... just my 2 cents... GOOD LUCK

Also if a man was going to propose and have a ring, why would he put it in a second-hand purse from eBay???? For big occasions like this, a normal person would go first class and buy it at Gucci.

I smell a rat!!!

imo, he sounds way too calm and patient for someone who received nothing.
not saying that he should curse and swear but his emails are strangely...... expressionless.
he is throwing everything to you and waiting to see your reaction before he decides how to continue the story.
from the looks of it, the horrible scammer is the one who is losing out.
you have all the evidences. you do not have to be afraid of anything.
*hugs*

I had the same problem with this crazy lady from cali!! OMG she was such a *****!

They do this so they can get the bag for free, its a total scam, at first they act all innocent, and say "omg the box is empty" they will ask for a refund or if you can send some thing else that you sell..I hate scammers..

When this happened to me I freaked out, I actually belived her at first.. then they make a sob story so that you can refund them...

Luckly my mom is a really smart women.. She called the lady up, and she told her in a Judge Judy tone.. "OK if the box is really empty, send me the entire empty box with all the labels.." the lady freaked out, she was like "ohhh i didn't keep the box, i through it away with its papers..." my mom responded " Thanks for wasting my time, but you cant fool me" and then she hung up the phone... that means the ***** had her item and through the box away.. If she really got a empty box she would have kept the box, so that the mail service can investigate it..After that the scammer never called.... She ran away and tried someone else that she could fool....

In your case the idiot has no proof the box was empty, If he's still insisting to get a refund, do the same thing my mom did... Just tell him your local post office wants to investigate this matter immediately. Tell him to send the entire "empty" package back to You.... with all the labels.. the scammer will leave u alone, and know you are a smart seller... just my 2 cents... GOOD LUCK

UR MOM IS COOL. and that buyer is crazy! lol

Originally Posted by Fauve
Also if a man was going to propose and have a ring, why would he put it in a second-hand purse from eBay???? For big occasions like this, a normal person would go first class and buy it at Gucci.

I smell a rat!!!

he's being a cheapo. lol

I hope I am winning this battle, although if he files with PP it will be a fight. He was confirmed and verified, but since he has a non US address...I am not covered under PP seller protection plan.

I sent UPS to recover the box and told him they needed to see the proof of tamper. UPS said he (his office) refused to return the box and packaging materials. He emailed me and said his secretary sent the wrong empty box "empty from someone else" and wanted me to call UPS to explain!!! TO funny!!!! In his email he also said he wasn't in the country and didn't open the box himself. Quote: This explains everything,office receives many packages every day,I am traveling and wasn't open from me......

At this point, he would be foolish to file with PP. He has admitted I sent the box as promised (I promised a genuine Gucci bag to arrive via UPS) and he admitted that he didn’t open the box. On another note, I have a friend looking at this from an entirely different --way higher -- level. Can you say this guy and his company could be royally screwed!!!

Empty your paypal account just to be safe. I never like to keep funds sitting in there anyway. But it looks like you did everything right. =) Keep us updated.

At this point you should just quit talking to him. In fact I kind of think you should have just told him to call the police & quit communicating with him a week ago when he started this.

I am not saying this to be harsh, I am saying that I think it will relieve some of your headaches if you do it. he is just stringing you along and as long as you keep trying to find out what happened, you are playing his game.

If he files with paypal he will NOT win, you have everything you need to show them.
If he was going to file with PP he would have done so already, IMO.

In fact if you know what company he works for, give the higher-ups there a call as there seems to be a theft problem in their offices. Let THEM take care of it, it is not your problem so don't let it be your problem.

Sorry this happened to you. And sorry if I seem harsh, its just that I have been through it all before a few times, up to & including sending someone to prison for stealing from me. Someone is trying to steal from you right now, so it's time to slam the door in their face before they succeed. The world will be a better place if you do.

At this point you should just quit talking to him. In fact I kind of think you should have just told him to call the police & quit communicating with him a week ago when he started this.

I am not saying this to be harsh, I am saying that I think it will relieve some of your headaches if you do it. he is just stringing you along and as long as you keep trying to find out what happened, you are playing his game.

If he files with paypal he will NOT win, you have everything you need to show them.
If he was going to file with PP he would have done so already, IMO.

In fact if you know what company he works for, give the higher-ups there a call as there seems to be a theft problem in their offices. Let THEM take care of it, it is not your problem so don't let it be your problem.

Sorry this happened to you. And sorry if I seem harsh, its just that I have been through it all before a few times, up to & including sending someone to prison for stealing from me. Someone is trying to steal from you right now, so it's time to slam the door in their face before they succeed. The world will be a better place if you do.

You don't seem harsh at all. Unfortunately, PP customer service said he would have a good chance of winning since I wasn't covered under the PP seller protection... this was, of course, prior to his final email admitting (almost) that he had the bag. She said people just take the empty box down to the PD, tell the PD that the item wasn't included in shipment, and the PD writes a statement saying all they see is an empty box. The buyer then takes that statement to PP and PP uses it to justify siding with the buyer. It is an awful flaw in the PP system.

Lucky for me, he admitted in his last email that he wasn't even in the country when the package was delivered, he did not open the box, and the office receives many packages per day. He said his secretary sent the wrong empty box back with UPS, but UPS said they refused to send any box at all. That info will be my biggest chance to win if he files a dispute (he hasn't yet).

The "company" has 4 principles, but I don't know how many employees. Looks like they use the “office" as a drop ship under a few different company headings and the guy who bought my bag uses the address as his US address, but he isn't located in the country. My guess is the company is a front for scams, but that is yet TBD.

I haven't heard from him since his last email (as I described above). I am not going to contact him and hope the 30 days passes quietly. If not, I hope I have enough info to win with PP, but the CS rep said they see this every day and PP usually sides with the buyer if the seller isn't covered under the protection plan.

A good lesson to all the folks her at tPF and hopefully not an expensive lesson for me!

She said people just take the empty box down to the PD, tell the PD that the item wasn't included in shipment, and the PD writes a statement saying all they see is an empty box. The buyer then takes that statement to PP and PP uses it to justify siding with the buyer. It is an awful flaw in the PP system.

I don't understand how the PD would agree that the item wasn't included in shipment, because UPS puts the weight on the label. If the weight listed is more than that of a cardboard mailing box, that would mean he would have received at least SOMETHING in the box, if not your item. That would mean your buyer is basically accusing UPS, although not directly, of tampering with his package. If he is lying (which is definitely sounds like he is) he is engaging in mail fraud, according to my understanding. Maybe you should inform him of that if he persists. But for now, I would just end all communications with him. I also find it odd he hasn't opened a dispute yet. If I got an empty box, you better believe I would open a dispute! Nothing here adds up. Good luck!