I have a little rain question..

baggymama

Nov 5, 2015
Hi everyone, my beloved oak sbs is a month old and I've gelled her two or three times and sprayed her a couple of times too all with colonil. Was just about to pop out and run some errands where I live (on foot) and it was spitting a bit with rain so I scuttled back inside and left my bag in the dry. I've heard the horror stories with oak bags and tbh I've been a bad bag keeper in the past, my oak Anthony is wrecked from my maltreatment #hangs head in shame.
So, my question is, can I ever take out my sbs out in light rain, if so when, if not, is there a rain proof bag? I also have a pre loved Dorset oak bag which is a different kind of leather, Nappa I think. Is that more hardy? I've been thinking of a small essentials bag, but which leather is best? Thank you, I love this forum, not been on long but your help is great :smile:

Goat is good choice, imo.

But, I take my oak nvt bays double zip into rain.
And set on grass.
And generally use without copious amounts of shame or brooding.
Even spilled cup of coffee onto her.
Collonil layers. Magic.

For downpours, helpful to haul along folded plastic shopping sack.
To pop bag into, if storm demons become tricky.
Or, lock into car boot, grab wallet & go.

For truly excessive, muddy yucky, rainforesty-rain, I use something else entirely.
And leave mulbs/most leather gear behind.

Hope helps.

Goat is good choice, imo.

But, I take my oak nvt bays double zip into rain.
And set on grass.
And generally use without copious amounts of shame or brooding.
Even spilled cup of coffee onto her.
Collonil layers. Magic.

For downpours, helpful to haul along folded plastic shopping sack.
To pop bag into, if storm demons become tricky.
Or, lock into car boot, grab wallet & go.

For truly excessive, muddy yucky, rainforesty-rain, I use something else entirely.
And leave mulbs/most leather gear behind.

Hope helps.

Be careful about locking your bag in the boot - I know 2 ladies that had their bags stolen having obviously been watched .

Collonil is definitely the way forward, but I agree with remainsilly - oak isn't my colour of choice for monsoon conditions! I've taken to carrying a little fold-up shopper, in case of getting caught in a downpour, although it might be more useful as an emergency rain hat! ;)

Can I please butt in here too? My slate blue lily and glossy goat leather Ive yet to treat them, is Collonil gel enough or do I need to go out and purchase the waterstop spray?

So if I use the gel in the meantime and order the spray the bags should be ok ? I'm worried about using them without the spray, sorry if this sounds silly but do the purses/wallets need to be treated to?

There's no "right" way. ;)
Should be fine.

Oh yes, as queen of overkill, I gel & hose with waterstop wallets, make up cases, everything.
Because makes me feel better.
My sa has collonil products wrapped & ready to go, whenever I wander by store.
Because she understands my addiction is hopeless. :biggrin:

Hi everyone, my beloved oak sbs is a month old and I've gelled her two or three times and sprayed her a couple of times too all with colonil. Was just about to pop out and run some errands where I live (on foot) and it was spitting a bit with rain so I scuttled back inside and left my bag in the dry. I've heard the horror stories with oak bags and tbh I've been a bad bag keeper in the past, my oak Anthony is wrecked from my maltreatment #hangs head in shame.

So, my question is, can I ever take out my sbs out in light rain, if so when, if not, is there a rain proof bag? I also have a pre loved Dorset oak bag which is a different kind of leather, Nappa I think. Is that more hardy? I've been thinking of a small essentials bag, but which leather is best? Thank you, I love this forum, not been on long but your help is great :smile:

I have a preloved Oak Ledbury from 2007, I have treated her with Colonil gel and the Woly 3x3 waterproof spray, can't get the Colonil water stop spray here, they won't post aerosols! When she has been caught out in light rain, the drops have just beaded on the surface and she has dried off with no marks.

I have a preloved Oak Ledbury from 2007, I have treated her with Colonil gel and the Woly 3x3 waterproof spray, can't get the Colonil water stop spray here, they won't post aerosols! When she has been caught out in light rain, the drops have just beaded on the surface and she has dried off with no marks.

Very good to know!! Thank you!! Love your new lily btw 😀