I have a big problem :(

My dad is the same way. He does not understand why I like LV so much. I told him he does not have to like it, but just embrace the idea that your daughters like these handbags. Now he does not mind that I buy these bags as long as I buy it myself. When I go to the boutique I take my sisters and mother with me because that's our bonding time. So u should take someone that has the same passion for LV as much as you do.

If he is offering to get you what you want for your Birthday, I would get your LV. I would not however take him to the store, take a friend with you, someone to really enjoy the experience with! At least he's giving you the money to get your LV, which is kind. It's unfortunate that he doesn't really understand or share your passion for LV, but just try to let his comments roll off and continue collecting the things you love. He may never understand, but if he gives you money to get the things you like, that's a pretty great start! Happy Birthday and be sure to do a reveal when you get your LV!

shalom ! :smile:

it's your birthday, and it's your birthday's gift

you love your dad and i'm sure he loves you

talk to him and say it's your passion, you really like it, you don't want to have it, cause you want to show someone sth etc..

tell him, you know it's a lot of money, but it's your dream and he should accept that..

:tup:

go with a friend or a family member who appreciates LV. Hmm...maybe if you get something from Utah or Taiga line or even graphite would suite dad well since it isn't flashy but oozes quality.

Thank you everybody!! I highly appriciate your comments.
His problem is that he doesn't want people to "jealous" and stuff like that.
Although he got a bit better in that issue :smile:

thank you all!

I'm 19, pretty close to your age, my dad :hugs: doesn't get my love for designer goods either, he also thinks it's extremely stupid to pay for a brandname, more than once since i started collecting last april, he has sworn that THAT'S the last bag i'm getting from him, ever. Well, everytime he makes a bet like that, he loses.

The way i see it, your dad's much the same way, he doesn't understand why you like it but he loves you, so he'll support you even though he doesn't always understand why he should support that habit.

PS. Bring a friend who loves LV as much as you do, and your dad along together, let your dad see that this is something you love, something that makes you happy. :smile:

PPS. My dad STILL insists on staying at the nearest starbucks whenever mummy and i go shopping at Holts, he only appears when the decisions have been made and his credit card is wanted lol :roflmfao:

I'm 19, pretty close to your age, my dad :hugs: doesn't get my love for designer goods either, he also thinks it's extremely stupid to pay for a brandname, more than once since i started collecting last april, he has sworn that THAT'S the last bag i'm getting from him, ever. Well, everytime he makes a bet like that, he loses.

The way i see it, your dad's much the same way, he doesn't understand why you like it but he loves you, so he'll support you even though he doesn't always understand why he should support that habit.

PS. Bring a friend who loves LV as much as you do, and your dad along together, let your dad see that this is something you love, something that makes you happy. :smile:

PPS. My dad STILL insists on staying at the nearest starbucks whenever mummy and i go shopping at Holts, he only appears when the decisions have been made and his credit card is wanted lol :roflmfao:

LOL! Thank you!

Ok,
So I'm 16 year old guy, and I have my own money (I work and stuff).
I was interested in LV's for about 2 years now, but only bought my first one last month (Damier Small Agenda).
My dad didn't really know that I was buying it, but wasn't upset or something either.
Problem is ever since he thinks it's really "flashy" and "pathetic" to "worship", read and be interested in these kind of stuff, coz it's just a brand.

I really want that my birthday present from will be an LV, and he would get it for me if I really ask him to, but I want him to feel good about it, he doesn't really get why I'm into LV.

He thinks that people wouldn't liking me carrying LV, because he says it's kinda snobish/to be arrogant carrying it.

What do you think I should tell him to change his mindset?
I told him it could have been easier for me to just ask money from him and buy whatever I want, but I wanna share it with him, and I don't feel comfortable doing it if he feels that way about these kind of stuff.

What do you think TPF'ers? :smile:

You know, Sweetie, there will ALWAYS be people who don't understand and don't agree, and I don't think you can "change" your dad into loving LV as much as you (WE) do.

A genuine interest comes from within, and different people like different things.

Maybe you can say something to him about just LIKING it - you don't need a reason, don't need to justify why and don't need to explain further, just say something like,

"you know, dad, I just *LIKE* LV. I can't help it and its just how it is. Different people like different things, that doesn't mean that they are shallow or flashy or any better or any worse - they just like what they like. Let them."

He probably will never like LV, buy YOU do, and thats all that matters...

:hugs:

First do not talk about LV to him . Maybe act like it's nothing. If he asks you what you want give him a short list include the LV item and see what he says. I am quite grown and my father isn't sure what LV is but asked isn't expensive I just said its relative. He laughed.

I hope you get what you like, but you can't always have someone like what you like.

take care

I think it doesn't matter what he thinks but you could try explaining to him why you like LV. I think many people like LV because they think it looks nice and has good quality not because it's a well known brand. My boyfriend doesn't really get my obsession of bags but he has his own interests - he loves bikes! Mountain bikes, road bikes, bikes with only one wheel all kinds of bikes. So we can relate to each other in that way. Maybe your dad has his own obsession..? Cars, motorcycles..?

You know, Sweetie, there will ALWAYS be people who don't understand and don't agree, and I don't think you can "change" your dad into loving LV as much as you (WE) do.

A genuine interest comes from within, and different people like different things.

Maybe you can say something to him about just LIKING it - you don't need a reason, don't need to justify why and don't need to explain further, just say something like,

"you know, dad, I just *LIKE* LV. I can't help it and its just how it is. Different people like different things, that doesn't mean that they are shallow or flashy or any better or any worse - they just like what they like. Let them."

He probably will never like LV, buy YOU do, and thats all that matters...

:hugs:

That's sounds really good!
He also said "that's just my opinion", and "you can do whatever you want with your money"...

I don't want him to like that... I just want him to support me with LV :smile:

Thank you all for your help :biggrin:

Hi !

Your dad do not have the same point of view as you about LV. So take another approach to convince him:
Try to explain that this brand is known around the wold for the quality of their product and you want a birthday gift that you 'll keep a very long time !
It's not flashy but classic !
It's something that you will often use, so it needs to be hard-wearing !

...and good luck ! I hope he will change his mind !

My parents do not understand either and I am 30, but I wish they would understand. My DH REALLY does not understand. I feel the same way you do except I wish i could share it with DH. I understand you want the people you love to support you. My DH now gives me the money which is a big step (before it came out of what I earned in my small business). I tried explaining to him that I love Lv like he loves video games, cars etc. It is more than a bag/wallet etc. It is an INVESTMENT. LV holds there value better than any other brand IMHO. And if I wanted to or needed to sell it I could. I can also pass it down to my daughter when she is older because LV is so classic.

What is you told your dad it was an investment like I did? It really worked for me. Good luck Hun.