I have a bag I don't use - what is appropriate

ambrva1

Dec 28, 2010
I have a MFF smallish red bag that I've used twice. It was about $150 and is just too small for me. Is it tacky to give it as a gift with the cavet that I have used it a couple times?

(There is nothing wrong with the bag. It is cute. I just have so many and I just don't use this one.)

Ummmm, for ME, I'd give it to somebody who I knew would use it with the knowledge that it wasn't big enough for ME (my mother got one of my used bags) but not as a special occasion gift.

OMG it wouldn't be a Christmas gift. lol It would be more of a random hey, I thought you would like this randoml present. I just don't know how people would feel about "here is my used purse, I wasn't into it, but you might be".

After thinking about this, my parent's neighbors have a 16 year old daughter who may be the perfect recipient. I know she won't have one, nor will most of her friends. It will be a perfect size for her, and I know she won't care that I've carried it. Plus I have tons of extra Coach bags and tissue so it will be wrapped nicely for her.

I think it would be fine as long as you make it a casual sort of offer like you mentioned ... then they can take it or not and not feel bad either way ... if I liked a bag I'd be more than happy to accept it from a friend who didn't want it anymore.

I wanna see what the bag looks like... and I wish I were your parents neighbors... ha ha... jk... I think it would be perfect for a teenager but it does seem a little weird for the "parents neighbor gift"... but if she's young she probably won't care... probably be really excited about it... but just not sure what her parents would think of such a random gift... but hope you find something good to do with it... good luck...

If it were me, I would just randomly ask her if she is interested in the bag since it's just not you, if so, then give it to her, it would be odd giving a used bag as a gift.

I have family that would LOVE Coach...but could never afford it. When I gave my Stepmom a Coach bag, she was SO thrilled and is still on cloud nine after 4 months!

Do you have anyone (friends/family) that would love to own a Coach but cannot afford it? I think they would be pretty gracious for even a used bag. I think used bags are appropriate random gifts, but I wouldn't give one on say, Mother's Day or a celebratory holiday. :biggrin:

I think it is a great idea to gift your coach and since you have known her since birth i'm sure she would love it. That's if she is into designer purses. I give my unwanted coach purses which are to my sister since she can't afford to buy one. Occasionally her boyfriend will get her a new one, but she likes variety. I had to break her from her cheap purse habit.

I have given gently used handbags to friends and family. They know that they are not brand new and it was never Christmas or birthday but rather a "just because". They were thrilled so I say do it!

Ok after explaining it a little more... it seems like the perfect thing to do as a random thing... just casually ask her when you see her... like hey... I was cleaning stuff in my house and was wondering if you could use this...

I would ask her parents first. It always seems to be dangerous territory giving a child a gift without asking the parents. They might feel bad if they cannot/would not/have not given her something as "expensive"? Dunno, just a thought.